Proposal: Petry for PO Jospeh + 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I just don’t see the reason Montreal would keep him especially if he is hinting he wants out.

Expecting a top prospect for him seems like a lot given that contract.
He still signed a contract one year ago. We will flush this year and begin a new one next year. I mean, matt Duchene been on the block during a long time. I don’t see the reason to sell low Jeff Petry.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Petry sucks now, no team should be trading much of value for him and his massive contract
I will never understand this. He had 4 seasons of 40+ was on pace for Norris last year. Played like a warrior in playoff.

Then Price Edmundson Weber Danault Perry Tatar Kotkaniemi are all gone

We signs reject like Savard Hoffman and we are running without Price and Allen while having 1 damn in the top 4 ,hit by injuries and COVID hard and suddenly Petry is worth nothing.

Doesn't take huge to tell that Petry wants out due to the team going into a rebuild and the problem with his wife and 3 kids not liking Quebec rules are then living in Detroit at this moment.

Saying he has no value is simply dumb. Except Mason he's like the best dman available at the deadline . Top 4 dmans who are offensive doesn't pop 15 times a day

Reactions: Grabner and Hins77

Jul 6, 2016
Three-way deal:

Dallas trades Kilingbeg to Pittsburg
Montreal trades Petry to Dallas
Pittsburg trades Poulin + 2nd round pick to Montreal.

Reactions: Isles72

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
In the current context, if Pittsburgh offers the deal, there is no way Montreal refuses.

Not sure why Pens would do this, unless they owe Geoffrey Molson a favor.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Petry could be a difference maker on the Pens at the end of our window. But that cap-hit is tough to pay fair value for and the contract has too many years on it to expect Montreal to retain much.

Would take some creativity to make that work, and I'd say part of it would be us dealing John Marino somewhere else. Maybe to Arizona for an asset + them retaining some of Petry's salary for us? Arizona could use a capable young RH d-man with years on his deal, I'd think.

Like: 2nd and Poulin to Montreal. Petry to Pens with Montreal retaining 1 million.

John Marino to Arizona, UFA Lyubushkin to Pens and Arizona retaining 2 million on Petry for us. Is an extra asset needed for Arizona for that amount of money... maybe.

Dumo Letang
Petterson Petry
Matheson Lyubushkin

I'd go to war with that.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Three-way deal:

thats not a bad offer although I havent kept tabs on Poulins progress

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
we will see. But I won’t selling low any guy of this team because he is not playing at his 100% capacity. I rather keep him

Thats all fine and good but the problem is when the shoe in on the other foot Montreal fans get all high and mighty and tell fans of other teams it will cost a 1st to move them . I seen Montreal fans claim it will cost a first + to move Koskinen when his contract is done in a few months and out of the other side of their mouths want a good pick/prospect for Allen whom has pretty much the same stat line as Koskinen with an extra year on it .

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
You are asking for an early 30’s Petry price but you are offering a late 30’s Petry product.
until Jospeh proves it, hes not an "early 30s Petry"

Point is the Pens' window is getting smaller by the day if they want to make another run while Sid, Geno, and Letang are still good. Petry is in his prime, POJ is far from it.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Three-way deal:

How does that help the Pens in the long run? We get stuck with another UFA in Klingberg to add on to Letang, Malkin and Rust? No thanks!

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Point is the Pens' window is getting smaller by the day if they want to make another run while Sid, Geno, and Letang are still good. Petry is in his prime, POJ is far from it.

We need PO Joseph a lot more than Petry, Petry is not going to put the Pens over the top thus the offer makes no sense for the Pens going forward. If a prospect is moved, it's more a forward I think that would be traded, like Legare or Poulin not POJ

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

The worst thing for the Pens is to trade future assets for an ageing overpaid player. If Petry was a UFA at the end of this season I might offer a 2nd at 50%, but no to the additional years. No offer at all.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Since 2003, when I started following the Habs, I can't think of one example when they willfully sacrificed quality in order to acquire a French Canadian.
Louis Leblanc over Chris Kreider was the most obvious.... Gainey wanting to please the Montreal crowd (draft location), and hoping to save his job.

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Mikhail Sergachev for Jonathan Drouin.
I didnt really see it that way.... Habs were starving for a high profile offensive player, Drouin was coming off a great playoff with TB and was still considered a top young forward after being drafted 3rd overall. He just happened to be on the trade block since TB couldnt afford him, and Bergevin went for it. It wasnt even so much criticized at the time.

What a horrible trade in hindsight, no doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad