Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

User13452

Jan 7, 2022

I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but this article says that his contract is for 2 years, plus a one year option. They also expect him to play regularly next year in the Extraliga.
Well that ain’t good news lol

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Too quiet here, name that former Petes player (no googling, potentially obvious edition).

Played 195 games in the OHL, all with the Petes. Never more than ten goals in a season (bum).

Played 812 games in the NHL, never more than five goals in a season (bum). Played for 5 different NHL teams.

Played for Canada at world junior championship on a team headlined by two incredible players who had unfortunately short(er) pro careers. OHL Championship winner with Peterborough. Stanley Cup Winner. 2nd round pick to the NHL

One of the best I've seen, absolutely loved watching him.

That may actually be way too vague lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Too quiet here, name that former Petes player (no googling, potentially obvious edition).

Played 195 games in the OHL, all with the Petes. Never more than ten goals in a season (bum).

Played 812 games in the NHL, never more than five goals in a season (bum). Played for 5 different NHL teams.

Played for Canada at world junior championship on a team headlined by two incredible players who had unfortunately short(er) pro careers. OHL Championship winner with Peterborough. Stanley Cup Winner. 2nd round pick to the NHL

One of the best I've seen, absolutely loved watching him.

That may actually be way too vague lol
Is it Jassen Cullimore?

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Too quiet here, ...
Petes fans looking for a discussion starter? At quick glance, the immediate future does not look good but the distant future (specifically 2026-2027) could be exceptionally good.

At the moment, the Petes are the only team without an NHL drafted player. Lacking any high-end players in the older age groups, this season is for player development (07s, 08s), accumulating draft picks and securing a lottery pick to land an 09 studs!

KEY PLAYERS: 04 G Liam Sztuska, 05 Zach Bowen, 06 F Braydon McCallum, 07 F Caden Taylor, Aiden Young, Nico Addy, Adam Novotny (import), D Carson Cameron, 08 F Colin Fitzgerald, D Blake Gowan

DRAFT PICKS
2025: 2, 2, 3, 3
2026: 3, 3, 3, 5
2027: 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5,
2028: 2, 3, 4, 5

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
KEY PLAYERS: 04 G Liam Sztuska, 05 Zach Bowen, 06 F Braydon McCallum, 07 F Caden Taylor, Aiden Young, Nico Addy, Adam Novotny (import), D Carson Cameron, 08 F Colin Fitzgerald, D Blake Gowan
Yeah... I'd add Strohack to this list and we'll find out a lot more about Cadorin/Ladds this year. Melee will be a great OA captain and we'll see who the others are (probably McIntyre as one based on his play down the stretch and "fit" with the coaches).

The season and future is largely going to hinge on what Addy and Young show in terms of being future offensive contributors, both showed flashes after coming to Peterborough but need to bring a lot more over the long term if this is going to be a winning core.

Cameron is a stud and Taylor will score, McCallum will do what McCallum's do. Fitzgerald probably has a decent impact year one relative to the rookie class just based on all the opportunities he'll have.

I still think they fight for a playoff spot if they keep Sztuska for the full season. Miss the playoffs/in the mix for #1 overall if they go any other direction in goal.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Petes fans looking for a discussion starter? At quick glance, the immediate future does not look good but the distant future (specifically 2026-2027) could be exceptionally good.

At the moment, the Petes are the only team without an NHL drafted player. Lacking any high-end players in the older age groups, this season is for player development (07s, 08s), accumulating draft picks and securing a lottery pick to land an 09 studs!

DRAFT PICKS
2025: 2, 2, 3, 3
2026: 3, 3, 3, 5
2027: 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5,
2028: 2, 3, 4, 5
I agree this coming season is about developing the 2007 and 2008 age group but the Petes have indicated the playoffs are their goal. I think they will try to trade for players in the 2006 and 2007 age group similar to the Grayden Strohack trade to improve their chances in the 2025-2026 and the 2026-2027 season. I would think they would prefer to add some younger players in the immediate future and development them along with their current young crop of players than have to trade for all the veteran players (at high prices) in their contending season. They will still have to add a few pieces during that season but when they are ready to take a run at their 11th OHL championship they will already have most of the core in place. It is my opinion that they may trade Jonathan Melee and Liam Sztuska for draft picks that they can use in trades for younger players.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
In reality, it's one or the other... And they might be hard pressed to make the playoffs with those two players.
I don’t think they will trade Liam Sztuska if Zack Bowen is not able to be the starter. I am, however optimistic that Bowen can be the first string goaltender. I think the overages to start are Jonathan Melee, Ryder MacIntyre and Liam Szustka. If they trade Sztuska they likely will add an overage defencmen. I would not be surprised if they traded Melee and kept Chase Lefebvre instead as Jonathan has more trade value. In regards to making the playoffs I think the Petes have a chance. If they are able to add a 2006 forward and an overage defenceman they could be similar to the 2021-2022 team and finish 8th.

Reactions: NorthernVoice

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I don’t think they will trade Liam Sztuska if Zack Bowen is not able to be the starter. I am, however optimistic that Bowen can be the first string goaltender. I think the overages to start are Jonathan Melee, Ryder MacIntyre and Liam Szustka. If they trade Sztuska they likely will add an overage defencmen. I would not be surprised if they traded Melee and kept Chase Lefebvre instead as Jonathan has more trade value. In regards to making the playoffs I think the Petes have a chance. If they are able to add a 2006 forward and an overage defenceman they could be similar to the 2021-2022 team and finish 8th.
Who's going to score? That's why I think this isn't a playoff team.

Even in a best case scenario where Cameron, Matejicek, Strohack and one of Ladds, Woulds, Gowan, Haley? forms a passable top 4 D and someone (imo Sztuska) saves the day in net, where are the goals coming from?

They scored the fewest in the league this year at 183 - despite having a bunch of vets at the start and a winning record towards December.

The 2nd half was ugly and may be even worse this year in terms of offense. And we know the Wilson system and PP aren't exactly going to prop up the offense.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Who's going to score? That's why I think this isn't a playoff team.

Even in a best case scenario where Cameron, Matejicek, Strohack and one of Ladds, Woulds, Gowan, Haley? forms a passable top 4 D and someone (imo Sztuska) saves the day in net, where are the goals coming from?

They scored the fewest in the league this year at 183 - despite having a bunch of vets at the start and a winning record towards December.

The 2nd half was ugly and may be even worse this year in terms of offense. And we know the Wilson system and PP aren't exactly going to prop up the offense.
I think Brayden McCallum is going to have a productive season. He is a better centre than he is a right winger. After being switched to centre late in the season he had 7 goals and 5 assists in 10 games. Caden Taylor could score 30 goals as he had 11 goals in 31 games with the Petes which projects to 24 goals over 68 games. Ryder MacIntyre and Jonathan Melee (if he is not traded) will contribute. I also expect Aiden Young and Nico Addy to contribute this season and I have to think that Colin Fitzgerald will be one of the OHL’s leading rookies in points. The offence is will be an issue but they do have a few players who can contribute.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Take this for what it’s worth (maybe nothing?) but in the last couple days Alex Hage has posted a picture on Instagram of him wearing Chicago steel gear. Today Adam Novotny reposted a video about him being apart of his Czech pro league team next season.

The recruiting started off strong landing Colin Fitzgerald and has struggled since?

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Take this for what it’s worth (maybe nothing?) but in the last couple days Alex Hage has posted a picture on Instagram of him wearing Chicago steel gear. Today Adam Novotny reposted a video about him being apart of his Czech pro league team next season.

The recruiting started off strong landing Colin Fitzgerald and has struggled since?
I think the Novotny pick is more for next year. Sure they’d love to have him this season but I don’t think they’ll be upset if he waits a year to come over

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I think the Novotny pick is more for next year. Sure they’d love to have him this season but I don’t think they’ll be upset if he waits a year to come over
Which makes going to the examiner and stating they have a list of players “who are willing to report”… look rather ridiculous

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
If he doesn't come this year, what's different about next year? The longer he stays home, the more ice time he's going to get in the Extraliga. The Extraliga is a tougher league then the OHL. Why leave that for the OHL?

He doesn't need to come to the OHL for draft exposure.

If the Petes hold onto his rights, there's a good chance his NHL team brings him to North America for his 19 y/o season, but if he's as good as advertised, he might be ready for the AHL.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Which makes going to the examiner and stating they have a list of players “who are willing to report”… look rather ridiculous
also why spend two weeks over there at 20k or whatever it costs do do that?

what was the rush to sign Easton rye then? not that I thought the kid was elite or anything but why sign him if there’s no room to play?

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
What was the rush to sign Easton rye then? not that I thought the kid was elite or anything but why sign him if there’s no room to play?
I don't think they had planned on bringing back a goalie when they traded Simpson, it's just the deal that was there.

Rye doesn't exactly look like the goalie of the future so far, even if his timeline with the rest of the core lined up better and Bowen as an 05 certainly doesn't line up time wise with the core.

If they could trade Bowen rather than Sztuska and pair Sztuska with an 07/08 goalie, that would be the way to balance the short term if they really want to make a push at one of the last playoff spots and the future of bringing along a young goalie who better aligns time wise with the skater core.

armchaircoaches

Oct 24, 2022
He’s coming this yesr

what was the rush to sign Easton rye then? not that I thought the kid was elite or anything but why sign him if there’s no room to play?
Because he was there 3 rd pick generally sign first 3 picks

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022

Great day for the Petes on a National Stage! '07 Carson Cameron, '07 Caden Taylor, '08 Colin Fitzgerald and '08 Blake Gowan as well as Petes prospect '08 Alexander Hage all selected to the Hockey Canada Program of Excellence Summer Camps! 🇨🇦

Not to mention two other highly touted Petes prospects gaining international recognition! '07 Adam Novotný was selected to Czehcia's National Team Roster 🇨🇿 and '07 Gavin Lock was selected to USA's Camp🇺🇸!

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

My thinking is that the Petes goaltenders this coming season will be one of Liam Sztuska and Zack Bowen as the starter and Easton Rye as the backup. However Mason Johnston could challenge for backup job. I think Peterborough’s plan last year after they decided to trade Michael Simpson was to have Sztuska and Rye as their two goaltenders. They did not expect to get Bowen in the trade but when he was offered in return for Simpson they decided to take the deal for another goaltender.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
My thinking is that the Petes goaltenders this coming season will be one of Liam Sztuska and Zack Bowen as the starter and Easton Rye as the backup. However Mason Johnston could challenge for backup job. I think Peterborough’s plan last year after they decided to trade Michael Simpson was to have Sztuska and Rye as their two goaltenders. They did not expect to get Bowen in the trade but when he was offered in return for Simpson they decided to take the deal for another goaltender.
Masen Johnston or Dylan Lee-Stack likely make the team as the backup. I think Rye will be given a chance to catch on elsewhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad