OT: s o f t players d i s c u s s i o n

In your humble opinion, who is the softest player on the Leafs?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Here is a summary of last years playoffs Hits/60 of Leafs most physical playoff performers taking into account TOI/g and Hits.

View attachment 898735
View attachment 898737

Domi is soft? Is this what you are saying?

Also, the two worst players on the team are #1 and #2, and by a large margin, really says something.

Our best hitting D is also closer to the bottom than the top, looks like picking your spots is important.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Anybody who votes for Matthew or includes Matthews in such a pool either

(a) Knows nothing about hockey or toughness

(b) Doesn't watch the Leafs

(c) Has a hate on for AM34 and this is a not so subtle way of trying to diminish his game and impact.

There is absolutely no solid case ro be made that Matthews is anywhere near the softest Maple Leaf. He hits, he blocks shots and he gets as involved as a star player should in scrums and after the whistle stuff.

In fact, this entire thread feels like a vehicle designed to get people to complain about the hockey team and certain players.

Minten? OEL? WTF
Um no he doesnt

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Um no he doesnt

Lol. Just ignore the fanboys. Auston Matthews ran away from Konecny and forced 40 year old Giordano and that wimp Bunting to come save him. While Rielly got jumped by the entire Lightning team, Matthews was picking up sticks only for Stamkos to start whooping on him. :biglaugh: Gets involved in scrums. :laugh: Imagine this guy in the league when it was actually hard to play in it.

Marner at least has the decency to be an inward twerp, he doesn't drag his teammates into ass whoopings while being twice their size.

Last edited:
Reactions: myleafs

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Lol. Just ignore the fanboys. Auston Matthews ran away from Konecny and forced 40 year old Giordano and that wimp Bunting to come save him. While Rielly got jumped by the entire Lightning team, Matthews was picking up sticks only for Stamkos to start whooping on him. :biglaugh: Gets involved in scrums. :laugh: Imagine this guy in the league when it was actually hard to play in it.

Marner at least has the decency to be an inward twerp, he doesn't drag his teammates into ass whoopings while being twice their size.

40 year old Gio can fight, the guy beat Bogo and Joshua fairly easily recently... is 38 year old Reaves too old to fight guys?

Curious about your opinion on McDavid getting roughed up by Bennett and laughing about it, should he have fought him?

It seems like you want star players to stick up for themselves, I don't see a reason for someone like McDavid or Matthews to fight someone below them.

Like 90% of star players, Matthews just grabs someone in a scrum, they hug each other and pretend like they'd do something if they need to.

Assuming Hyman is soft? He wanted no part of Benn.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
how is this even up for debate??

mitchy.jpg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
One thing everyone would agree on is that Jake McCabe is the toughest guy on the team.
You've already used this phrase 188 times this year, and you've been wrong every single time. How arrogant and clueless does one have to be to think they speak for everyone?

That was a rhetorical question BTW so need to worry that you can't answer. :)

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You've already used this phrase 188 times this year, and you've been wrong every single time. How arrogant and clueless does one have to be to think they speak for everyone?

Everyone would agree that you take things far too literally.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Matthews, 100%. 6-3 and pillow soft. Zero dawg in the playoffs.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm no expert at hockey.

But I do know a tiger can't change it's stripes. And Marner has a yellow one the length of Yonge Street. When I think of “killer instinct” he’s the furthest thing from it.

I don't get how the greatest fan base in the world went from expecting magnificence to accepting mediocrity.

Management is in disarray unable to figure a way out of this mess they created. The worst part is they refuse to acknowledge it even IS a mess. Because they don't understand what the problem is.

As for the players?

How worried is Marner that despite doing everything he can to avoid physical contact over the years he has to change that now. When it comes to the jelly drop that forms the core of this creampuff team he's easily the squishiest and that's not changing. Because he knows there's no accountability with this franchise.

The entire organization is softer than my fat gut.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Everyone would agree that you take things far too literally.
IMHO people should say what they mean, mean what they say and understand what they're saying. That's what makes intelligent discussion possible but if you'd rather join the "spew arrogant nonsense" club then hey, you go right ahead.

I'm no expert at hockey.

But I do know a tiger can't change it's stripes. And Marner has a yellow one the length of Yonge Street. When I think of “killer instinct” he’s the furthest thing from it.

I don't get how the greatest fan base in the world went from expecting magnificence to accepting mediocrity.

Management is in disarray unable to figure a way out of this mess they created. The worst part is they refuse to acknowledge it even IS a mess. Because they don't understand what the problem is.

As for the players?

How worried is Marner that despite doing everything he can to avoid physical contact over the years he has to change that now. When it comes to the jelly drop that forms the core of this creampuff team he's easily the squishiest and that's not changing. Because he knows there's no accountability with this franchise.

Agreed. I can't think of an NHL player playing today who's a better example of what the opposite of killer instinct looks like.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
IMHO people should say what they mean, mean what they say and understand what they're saying. That's what makes intelligent discussion possible but if you'd rather join the "spew arrogant nonsense" club then hey, you go right ahead.

IMHO this sounds miserable to live like this and more people should enjoy the board as a form of entertainment and not take obvious hyperbole as a literal statement.

Also, did you count the 188 times he used this statement and has he been wrong every single time?

Are you now saying things you don't mean and taking away from the intelligent discussion?

This seems very hypocritical and like you'd rather join the "spew arrogant nonsense" club.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
IMHO this sounds miserable to live like this and more people should enjoy the board as a form of entertainment and not take obvious hyperbole as a literal statement.

Also, did you count the 188 times he used this statement and has he been wrong every single time?

Are you now saying things you don't mean and taking away from the intelligent discussion?

This seems very hypocritical and like you'd rather join the "spew arrogant nonsense" club.
I find people expressing their thoughts clearly to be anything but miserable.

Saying "everyone would agree" isn't hyperbole, it's an assumption which is always incorrect.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Marner has always been soft, not sure a poll is needed to validate that.
For his size Matthews is disappointingly soft.
Wow, I agree with all of this

Anybody who votes for Matthew or includes Matthews in such a pool either

(a) Knows nothing about hockey or toughness

(b) Doesn't watch the Leafs

(c) Has a hate on for AM34 and this is a not so subtle way of trying to diminish his game and impact.

There is absolutely no solid case ro be made that Matthews is anywhere near the softest Maple Leaf. He hits, he blocks shots and he gets as involved as a star player should in scrums and after the whistle stuff.

In fact, this entire thread feels like a vehicle designed to get people to complain about the hockey team and certain players.

Minten? OEL? WTF?
Matthews is no the softest, he deserves honerable mention but not number one. Maybe 3 or 4

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm no expert at hockey.

As for the players?

Constantine Falkland Carey Smythe would be disappointed with this era of Leafs’ players.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Wow, I agree with all of this

Matthews is no the softest, he deserves honerable mention but not number one. Maybe 3 or 4
I'll play, what is the case for Matthew being softer than Marner? Jarnkrok? Holmberg? Robertson? Nylander? Tavares? Kampf? Liljegren? OEL? Rielly?

I will give you Reaves, Domi, McMann, Knies, Dewar, Benoit, McCabe, Tanev and Hakanpaa.

Number three or four, eh? Go ahead tell me why he softer than 7 or 8 of those guys listed above.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Where are the boxes for Roberston and Domi? They both hit less than any other Leaf forward. Play the softest defence of anyone on the team. Hit and block less than Marner. Both players are the perfect definition of perimiter players and easy to play against. Just because Domi fights 4 games out of 80 doesn't make him tough. As for players like Matthews and Tavares being soft count the number of crosschecks they take in a game. Domi takes less in a season than they do in a game.

As far as Liljegren and OEL being on the list They both out hit Devon Teows last year and I don't think anyone would call him soft. Anyone putting OEL on the list is simply putting him there because he is European and follows the stupid narrative since Ballard started all this garbage about "Chicken" Swedes. Go watch some video of him in Florida he is anything but soft.
This narrative the Liljegren is soft also really needs to stop. He had 116 blocks and 92 hits in 55 games. He blocked more shots than Benoit in less games. 4th most blocks on the D-core so when people say he doesn't block shots or hit it is simply not factual.

• Haha
Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium