Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
and traded the only 6M buck player that had value. Because the two that were retained (now 1) have contracts that greatly limit their trade value.

But yeah, Drai no letter, Letestu no letter, Maroon no letter Larsson no letter, basically anybody that showed up in the playoffs had no A letter. .

Leadership being what it is.

But all the guys with the A's can talk a good horcoff talk.

But can they dodge a New Years bar tab Ethan Moreau style? That's leadership.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Dustin Brown has 2 Stanley Cups and he's the captain of the Kings. Tell me letters matter.

You have no idea what goes on in the dressing room.

Dustin Brown is a good captain that has been one of the forward leaders in hits several years running, has hands, can score, make plays, is hard to play against and is a tireless worker. I would trade ANY of the A's in the picture Soundwave posted for Dustin Brown. Even the current Dustin Brown that happens to have 5G 6A 11pts. I know you didn't look that one up either. I'm not keeping count, is that strike 3 now?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Dustin Brown is a good captain that has been one of the forward leaders in hits several years running, has hands, can score, make plays, is hard to play against and is a tireless worker. I would trade ANY of the A's in the picture Soundwave posted for Dustin Brown. Even the current Dustin Brown that happens to have 5G 6A 11pts. I know you didn't look that one up either. I'm not keeping count, is that strike 3 now?
After 4 seasons of sub-40 points, being inferior to Kopitar and Doughty in every single way.. Yes he's been good this year. Maybe getting stripped did something to him? Oh wait he was crap last year too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
After 4 seasons of sub-40 points, being inferior to Kopitar and Doughty in every single way.. Yes he's been good this year. Maybe getting stripped did something to him? Oh wait he was crap last year too.

Nearly every King was crap last year. Quick was injured longterm in the first game of the season and vet players knew well enough that it wasn't likely to be their year. They ended up having to work tirelessly on the defensive aspects of the game basically trying to stop opponents from scoring at all while they had bozos in net and they had zero left down the stretch and missed the playoffs. Then they had Sutter yelling at them all the while for not doing better.

Heres the thing with Dustin Brown, and some other Kings. They are different players in years in which they figure they are contenders. They make the most of those as well. Brown had 56pts the first year they won the Cup and 20 more in the playoffs in 20GP. But some Oiler fans figure he's some talentless plug He had 14 playoff pts the 2nd time LA won.
This is one of their hot years, the players sense it, and surprise Dustin Brown is there. He's also had the shackles taken off from what his responsibilities were with Sutter as coach.

The Kings playes didn't like Brown being stripped btw. Some LA fans say that move ultimately cost Sutter some respect and eventually the job. The Kings team LOVE Dustin Brown. As much as the Oilers should all LOVE Patrick Maroon. I suspect a lot of them do.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wonder if the team really even scouted him at all? They fell to him and grabbed him no questions asked.

Wasn't the rumor they wanted Sergachev or Tkachuk at 4?
I wonder how much they scouted him too. If I’m not mistaken, Mactavish was sent to Europe to do it. Iirc, people were making fun of him because he went to the wrong country and for some reason it was made public. In any event, if we’ve learned anything about Mactavish it’s that he’s a terrible judge of talent.

Seriously though, I doubt they focussed too much time on him either leading up to the draft because nobody thought he’d fall to number four. Maybe the interview would have sent up some red flags on him like it must have for Keikalainnen. I’m a little concerned he’s still having trouble with English. You don’t see that much anymore with good prospects coming out of Europe. Usually they’re fluent by the time they get here. Could be a sign that he isn’t very bright. I’m just speculating of course, trying to figure out why the guy who was supposed to be can’t miss and likely nhl ready has looked so lost and confused on the ice.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think actually Sergachev was the Oilers plan A. It's only when Puljujarvi (who everyone thought would go at 3) fell that the plan changed. That may also have set into motion a chain of events that leads to the Hall trade, because I think they were perhaps willing to be patient and wait for Sergachev to be the answer on D.

I think the Oilers board was

1. Matthews
2. Lanie
3. Puljujarvi
4. Sergachev
5. Dubois or Tkachuk

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nearly every King was crap last year. Quick was injured longterm in the first game of the season and vet players knew well enough that it wasn't likely to be their year. They ended up having to work tirelessly on the defensive aspects of the game basically trying to stop opponents from scoring at all while they had bozos in net and they had zero left down the stretch and missed the playoffs. Then they had Sutter yelling at them all the while for not doing better.

Heres the thing with Dustin Brown, and some other Kings. They are different players in years in which they figure they are contenders. They make the most of those as well. Brown had 56pts the first year they won the Cup and 20 more in the playoffs in 20GP. But some Oiler fans figure he's some talentless plug He had 14 playoff pts the 2nd time LA won.
This is one of their hot years, the players sense it, and surprise Dustin Brown is there. He's also had the shackles taken off from what his responsibilities were with Sutter as coach.

The Kings playes didn't like Brown being stripped btw. Some LA fans say that move ultimately cost Sutter some respect and eventually the job. The Kings team LOVE Dustin Brown. As much as the Oilers should all LOVE Patrick Maroon. I suspect a lot of them do.
Are you a kings fan or an oiler fan? I think I see more posts about the kings from you, than the oilers.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I certainly don't appreciate Chiarelli. Talk about getting overcome by your own positive press clippings. I think Peter is as guilty of that as any Oiler player on the ice. He set himself up for failure this season by refusing to address any of the holes on the roster. Just banking on linear progression throughout the roster and adding first round draft picks is not doing your job. Not even close.

You certainly are. Just ignore the posters who can't handle any criticism of the team.

It's one thing to criticize a move and then move along. It's another when it's posted in THE WRONG THREAD. Start a Criticize Chia thread then post your rants there. This is supposed to be an 'appreciation thread'. At least then when we want to read a thread that's supposed to be about appreciation, we don't have to skim through garbage posts and trolls who come on only when the Oilers lose a game and start ranting in the wrong threads.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Could be. But LA sucked last year. Columbus was a joke a year ago.

The name of the game in the NHL is getting your tier 2 players to perform at their maximum ability or beyond it.

Two players and a goalie doesn't a team make. Too many key passengers here, too many guys comfortable here. No desire to be better.

In a cap world you only get really 5-6 high end pieces to spend, when 1/2 the pieces you've spent on don't give much of a damn about being their best ... you're going to have problems. Not even the best player in the world can mask it.

This is true and a lot of it is based on coaching. Just remember, McL was the coach of a SJ team that was loaded with talent but was never able to take them over the hump. I don't know if he is the coach to try and take this team to the next level. We need a guy who can get the most out of his players.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
But yeah, Drai no letter, Letestu no letter, Maroon no letter Larsson no letter, basically anybody that showed up in the playoffs had no A letter. .

Larsson has an A this season. Also while the Oilers alternates are underwhelming most of the time, saying you would trade any of them for one of the worst contracts in the league in Dustin Brown is one of the stupidest things I've read on these boards

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
^Well one of those guys was traded for Ryan Strome. That being the value of that contract. The other couldn't even be shopped when the team tried.

As far as Lucic, he's the only one in the Brown ballpark. Both are role players from a SC club, albeit Dustin has two and was PPG in the playoffs in the first cup win. Both score at an identical rate, both are physical leaders, abrasive, hard to play against. Brown is faster, gets to pucks and hits more, and has scored more goals in his career than anybody in our lineup except Drai and McD will.

Look, Chia went Lucic because of the Bruins connection. Had Chia managed the Kings Brown would likely be an Oiler right now. The only difference in the players is Lucic fighting something like a handful of times/year and getting nailed for twice as many penalty minutes. An on ice cost a team has to absorb with Lucic

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
^Well one of those guys was traded for Ryan Strome. That being the value of that contract. The other couldn't even be shopped when the team tried.

As far as Lucic, he's the only one in the Brown ballpark. Both are role players from a SC club, albeit Dustin has two and was PPG in the playoffs in the first cup win. Both score at an identical rate, both are physical leaders, abrasive, hard to play against. Brown is faster, gets to pucks and hits more, and has scored more goals in his career than anybody in our lineup except Drai and McD will.

Look, Chia went Lucic because of the Bruins connection. Had Chia managed the Kings Brown would likely be an Oiler right now. The only difference in the players is Lucic fighting something like a handful of times/year and getting nailed for twice as many penalty minutes. An on ice cost a team has to absorb with Lucic
Lucic coats cap space, Brown would cost assets. Brown is also a dirty whiny biz natch.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lucic coats cap space, Brown would cost assets. Brown is also a dirty whiny biz natch.
meh, I tend to love instigator hockey players. Its a big and not unimportant part of the game getting in opponents heads. The Oilers have clearly gone in that direction with Lucic, Maroon, Kass, it was bigtime missing from their lineup for a longtime. You need guys that get under the opponents skin.

At least the Oilers are not run out of the rink now. Every team needs some players that go to the circus.

To me Lucic, Maroon, Kass have value. They contribute intangibles not seen on the scoreboard. You need those contributions on a competitive club.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

They score goals at a similar rate for their careers. In terms of putting up points Lucic averages about 10 more points a year than Brown over their careers, in particular in recent years Lucic has been a ~50 point player where Brown has been a ~30 point player.

A hot 7 games for Brown doesn't erase nearly 1/2 a decade of pure garbage hockey.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
It's one thing to criticize a move and then move along. It's another when it's posted in THE WRONG THREAD. Start a Criticize Chia thread then post your rants there. This is supposed to be an 'appreciation thread'. At least then when we want to read a thread that's supposed to be about appreciation, we don't have to skim through garbage posts and trolls who come on only when the Oilers lose a game and start ranting in the wrong threads.

I'm going to defend a post negative about Chia not because I agree with it but because I think it's fair to put it into this thread.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I'm going to defend a post negative about Chia not because I agree with it but because I think it's fair to put it into this thread.

So is it appropriate of me to post in the Joey Moss Appreciation Thread and start criticizing him because he didn't do his job well enough as an equipment manager? That's basically the same thing in this thread. You are entitled to your opinion, but post it the appropriate area. That's my point.

To be clear, I have the highest respect for Joey Moss. I'm just making a point.

Edit: Reading your comment again, I don't know if that was sarcastic or making a statement to me. If it's sarcasm, I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They score goals at a similar rate for their careers. In terms of putting up points Lucic averages about 10 more points a year than Brown over their careers, in particular in recent years Lucic has been a ~50 point player where Brown has been a ~30 point player.

A hot 7 games for Brown doesn't erase nearly 1/2 a decade of pure garbage hockey.

A half decade? Brown had 56pts in 2012, he had 20pts in 20 games during the cup run that year. In 2014, in the repeat cup run he had another 14pts. Brown is ALWAYS there when the games are big.

I could see people saying its been a few questionable seasons for Brown. That is valid, but not half a dozen years. That time period includes his superlative contribution to two cup runs.

You probably don't follow the Kings but Gaborik, who was playing with Brown and Kopitar a lot has been unhealthy for years with chronic problems which has greatly limited his impact. This impacted the lines production. Also the team had essentially had a falling out with Sutter and Brown is included in that for better or worth.

Finally, the Sutter system tended to focus on D first and a lot of players production is limited in that system. To the degree the Kings had trouble scoring at all as a team. It wasn't working anymore.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A half decade? Brown had 56pts in 2012, he had 20pts in 20 games during the cup run that year. In 2014, in the repeat cup run he had another 14pts. Brown is ALWAYS there when the games are big.

I could see people saying its been a few questionable seasons for Brown. That is valid, but not half a dozen years. That time period includes his superlative contribution to two cup runs.

You probably don't follow the Kings but Gaborik, who was playing with Brown and Kopitar a lot has been unhealthy for years with chronic problems which has greatly limited his impact. This impacted the lines production. Also the team had essentially had a falling out with Sutter and Brown is included in that for better or worth.

Finally, the Sutter system tended to focus on D first and a lot of players production is limited in that system. To the degree the Kings had trouble scoring at all as a team. It wasn't working anymore.

Past 4 seasons Brown put up: 27, 27, 28 and 36 points.

4 years is nearly 5
5 is half of 10
10 years in a decade

So yes... nearly 1/2 a decade.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So is it appropriate of me to post in the Joey Moss Appreciation Thread and start criticizing him because he didn't do his job well enough as an equipment manager? That's basically the same thing in this thread. You are entitled to your opinion, but post it the appropriate area. That's my point.

Edit: Reading your comment again, I don't know if that was sarcastic or making a statement to me. If it's sarcasm, I'm sorry.

Joey Moss is generational at doing what he does

Reactions: Paralyzer

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Past 4 seasons Brown put up: 27, 27, 28 and 36 points.

4 years is nearly 5
5 is half of 10
10 years in a decade

So yes... nearly 1/2 a decade.
Oh C'mon. In 2014 Dustin had 14pts in the playoff run adding his contribution to the club winning the 2nd cup, as its captain. He's had better playoff performances than all but two of our players, you know who they are. BTW 3 seasons have been completed since Brown was last Captain of a cup winning team. Not all that long ago really.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

Hey Peter, why don't you go and fix this mess of a team that you've created instead of trying to stop people from rightly criticizing you.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Lowest scoring team in the league, Chiarelli. And you did f*** all in the offseason. But hey, at least we have that precious cap space!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad