Speculation: Pesce could get 7AAV?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The cap is going up 4.5 mil. Teams have been planning for this offseason since the pandemic escrow agreement. There are many teams with serious spending potential, including some that need to spend to reach the cap floor. RD are always in demand, and Pesce is well regarded around the league.

This is not even a little bit surprising, it feels like some fans have gotten used to flat cap free agency where top UFAs had to sit around waiting for teams to create cap space. That's not the standard and we're not in the same environment.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Comparable to all the other D and how the market is 7 is fair and I’d rather give him 7 than guys like Orlov

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
I like Pesce, and his absence on the back end was a big reason Carolina lost to the Rags.

That said, his skating has already noticeably started to decline, against heavy forechecking teams he would have trouble skating it out of trouble in the dzone.

I hope he gets his big UFA payday, and I don't hope this happens obviously, but that contract could get ugly real quick

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Sabres fan- would absolutely pay that as long as there’s a written guarantee that he doesn’t Scandella it and just stop trying in Buffalo.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
that's wild. Some team will be regretting that in short order after it's signed... Hopefully it's not my team.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Pesce has lost a step but we found out real quick that he was still providing vital defense to us, especially on the PK, when he went down in the playoffs.

I'm curious if he fares a lot better at this point in a system that isn't man-to-man. Regardless of any complaints Canes fans have had about him he's still excellent net front and at preventing zone entries.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Sabres fan- would absolutely pay that as long as there’s a written guarantee that he doesn’t Scandella it and just stop trying in Buffalo.

I’m not sure that would age well even if he was still “trying.” Canes fans seem to widely agree that Pesce lost a step this past season, and that’s in a UFA year where he’s playing for what might be his last big contract, so he should’ve been highly motivated.

Reactions: Fjordy

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

11 mill for Dahlin

8.25 for Power

7 for Pesce

4 mill for Samuelsson

3.3 for Clifton

Whatever Byrum gets next year... maybe 5 or 6 million.

That could be approaching 40 mill spent on defense alone.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I’m not sure that would age well even if he was still “trying.” Canes fans seem to widely agree that Pesce lost a step this past season, and that’s in a UFA year where he’s playing for what might be his last big contract, so he should’ve been highly motivated.

I think every fan base claims the player is not very good anymore when they leave their team. There are also lots of examples of guys refinding their game after changing teams.

Brodie was advertised as cooked and he gave us 3 1/2 years of elite defensive play.

11 mill for Dahlin

8.25 for Power

7 for Pesce

4 mill for Samuelsson

3.3 for Clifton

Whatever Byrum gets next year... maybe 5 or 6 million.

That could be approaching 40 mill spent on defense alone.

Cap will be 100M in 1-2 years, that is perfectly doable.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think he's hitting 7

6+ absolutely but not 7.

If he was a free agent next year when the cap is 93 million maybe bur not at 88
Not quite.

Not unless Chicago or Utah make a godfather offer.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
$7M coming off a 13pt season…don’t think there’s a chance he sniffs that, but who knows during silly season

Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The whole "lost a step" is being overplayed a bit IMO. His xGA/60 was 2.35 (Skjei was 2.38, Slavin was 2.23). Pesce and Skjei took on the toughest competition as well.

We saw how much we missed him come playoff time.

That said, he's always had a bit of a choppy stride so not a smooth skater and he has had a lot of injuries over his career. He's a smart player who thinks the game quickly and reads and reacts very well, which has been a trademark of both him and Slavin since they entered the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad