Speculation: Pesce could get 7AAV?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
There are a total of like 4 good right shot defenseman in the league. This one has played well on a good team, and will get paid even if he is falling off of a cliff. Whoever signs him will regret it in 2-3 years, but the signing GM will be fired before it really gets bad.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think Brett gets 7 per on a bad team (like SJ), but would probably take 6.25-6.5 on a contender.
Probably but I wonder how many contending teams could afford that cap hit for basically a defensive Dman?

Better value for a SC contender to sign a guy like Tanev.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Probably but I wonder how many contending teams could afford that cap hit for basically a defensive Dman?

Better value for a SC contender to sign a guy like Tanev.
I look at a team like Colorado, if Gabe and Nuke are done then they can certainly afford to fill the void left behind by Walker becoming a FA.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I look at a team like Colorado, if Gabe and Nuke are done then they can certainly afford to fill the void left behind by Walker becoming a FA.
Sure but Makar and Manson are already RHD's there and really the Avs need to bolster their 2C position and get some more top 6ish type of wingers.

I just don't see the fit for a 7X7 on the Avs.

My guess is that he becomes the defensive anchor on some rebuilding team like Utah maybe but frankly I haven't given it a ton of thought.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Whoever gives Peesh that kind of dough is going to REALLY regret it. One of my favorite Hurricanes of all time but even a year ago he wasn't worth that kind of money. And this past year? Time is already starting to show signs of winning with him, that'll be another Vlasic level signing if they give him that with any real term.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sure but Makar and Manson are already RHD's there and really the Avs need to bolster their 2C position and get some more top 6ish type of wingers.

My guess is that he becomes the defensive anchor on some rebuilding team like Utah maybe but frankly I haven't given it a ton of thought.
Huh?

Agreed that Pesce is not going to be how the Avs use any available cap though, that's for sure.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
11 mill for Dahlin

8.25 for Power

7 for Pesce

4 mill for Samuelsson

3.3 for Clifton

Whatever Byrum gets next year... maybe 5 or 6 million.

That could be approaching 40 mill spent on defense alone.

Ok, and? We have depth at LD and a seeming lacking at RD. Pick up Pesce, see how it goes, then trade one of the LDs when/if necessary.

We have cap space and movable contracts, not sure why that’s the thing that’d keep you from going after Pesce.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

I assume Casey is back at 2C. I can also see Brett interested in signing a one year or two year deal with Colorado if he's chasing a ring.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Utah should go out and offer contracts to both Skjei and Pesce to anchor their defense. I'd overpay a bit on AAV if you could keep the term down to a reasonable length, but with that much cap space I'm not sure you could do much better in acquiring a new top-pair. Would go a long way in helping them be competitive out of the gate.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Whoever gives Peesh that kind of dough is going to REALLY regret it. One of my favorite Hurricanes of all time but even a year ago he wasn't worth that kind of money. And this past year? Time is already starting to show signs of winning with him, that'll be another Vlasic level signing if they give him that with any real term.

Ok, that’s my real concern. I don’t watch him a ton, but if he’s one of those guys who tips from “real solid” to “suddenly too slow” I’d obviously regret that signing.

Reactions: DaveG

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Huh?

Agreed that Pesce is not going to be how the Avs use any available cap though, that's for sure.
I'm not sold on Mittelstadt being a long term solution at 2C but maybe he is a 2 year stopgap until
Calum Ritchie is ready?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ok, that’s my real concern. I don’t watch him a ton, but if he’s one of those guys who tips from “real solid” to “suddenly too slow” I’d obviously regret that signing.
I will say 2 years with that kind of pay wouldn't be a bad move, 3rd year is when it starts to get dicey imo. But I think someone is going to absolutely show him the bag with some major term. First couple years you're still getting a hell of a player but his skating is already starting to decline.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
7 mill is a gross overpay and if he signs that in Toronto and doesn’t play like a 7 million dollar d man he will be run outta the city in the first year

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I assume Casey is back at 2C. I can also see Brett interested in signing a one year or two year deal with Colorado if he's chasing a ring.
Ya maybe but the whole Avs going for it kind of backfired and Walker was a waste.

that being said the whole Nichushkin thing really hurt and I'm not sure where the Avs are at.

they look like a team on paper that could do a quick reload but is any team with (no disrespect here) Casey Middlestat as their second line center a tru SC contender?

Now if the Avs had Landy and Nichushkin healthy sure maybe but when Casey is probably your 3rd best froward I don't know.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Ya maybe but the whole Avs going for it kind of backfired and Walker was a waste.

that being said the whole Nichushkin thing really hurt and I'm not sure where the Avs are at.

they look like a team on paper that could do a quick reload but is any team with (no disrespect here) Casey Middlestat as their second line center a tru SC contender?

Now if the Avs had Landy and Nichushkin healthy sure maybe but when Casey is probably your 3rd best froward I don't know.
The nuke thing killed them. Drouin wasn't healthy either. If neither Nuke nor Gabe are in that's 16 million dollars worth of forward that need to be filled. Stammer may be a decent option as well.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The nuke thing killed them.
Agreed.

Drouin wasn't healthy either.
Sure but while his season was a nice thing to see he isn't the answer IMO and I wonder if they resign him?

If neither Nuke nor Gabe are in that's 16 million dollars worth of forward that need to be filled. Stammer may be a decent option as well.
Sure but the Avs ahve 16 million in cap space and need to resign Casey at probably 5+ plus 2 or 3 5/6/7 Dmen and 3 or 4 bottom 6 type of guys or go with rookies.

I think they have a solid top 4 on the back end already and can sign some useful gritty 5/6 types for cheap and spend money up front but we shall see.

Also to note Pesce is an East Coast guy and older guys understand the downside of travel and would probably prefer to sign with an East Coast team right?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Orlov getting 7.75M after a 36P season definitely set this up. Top 4 defenders will make 6M minimum moving forward probably.
Over only 2 years though... Pesce is 29 going on 30 in the fall. If it's a 4/5 term, sure, I can see 7 mill. Over the max 7, no.... Not a good idea.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think every fan base claims the player is not very good anymore when they leave their team. There are also lots of examples of guys refinding their game after changing teams.

Brodie was advertised as cooked and he gave us 3 1/2 years of elite defensive play.

Cap will be 100M in 1-2 years, that is perfectly doable.
Cap space going up does not me you spend more.

Like other sports thr better players get the money. You se a shift of the ELCs ending as nf the 5-7 yr $4M will go up.
The star players go up.
Players like him and Montour should not. They should be 4 or so yr contracts around 5.5M

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Agreed.

Sure but while his season was a nice thing to see he isn't the answer IMO and I wonder if they resign him?

Sure but the Avs ahve 16 million in cap space and need to resign Casey at probably 5+ plus 2 or 3 5/6/7 Dmen and 3 or 4 bottom 6 type of guys or go with rookies.

I think they have a solid top 4 on the back end already and can sign some useful gritty 5/6 types for cheap and spend money up front but we shall see.

Also to note Pesce is an East Coast guy and older guys understand the downside of travel and would probably prefer to sign with an East Coast team right?
I think they need to see what they can get for Manson, sign Brett and bring back Trenin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad