Globe and Mail: Perry and Getzlaf...

Apr 1, 2010
One or both will be traded if they can't be signed. To where is unknown but ANH won't be losing both to FA and get nothing in return.

GardinerExpressway

Mar 19, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Hockey in Southern California is more popular than Soccer. With L.A winning the Cup and San Jose loaded with 'Stars' - Anaheim is not going to let either of their Franchise players Walk because of money concerns - they'll find a way - they'll waive half their active roster if thats what it takes.

The only way either hits UFA is because they want to WIN again in the Short Term - and don't see the REBUILD in ANA taking shape for another couple years ... Pretty much the EXACT situation Toronto will be in.

It's clear to me that you and I aren't going to get along generally, but in he interest of accuracy, waiving players no longer aleviates money problems unless someone picks those players up (because that money in the minors is both still on your actual payroll and hits your cap in excess of $350k). Do you really think the rest of the league is just going to bail out Anaheim on a myriad of contracts to help them not be in jeopardy of losing the star players on their roster?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
am I missing something here? Anahiem has 30.5 million in cap space for next season, with 13 players signed they clearly have the room even on a budget team to re-sign these two.

MrLegend28*

am I missing something here? Anahiem has 30.5 million in cap space for next season, with 13 players signed they clearly have the room even on a budget team to re-sign these two.

doesnt mean players wanna resign...

Dwight K Schrute

Nov 30, 2009
Scranton

Doesn't mean they have the money to sign them. Sure, when they were signed initially they had just won the cup and the team was a profitable venture. Not so much anymore.

Ron Wilson*

I can see Perry coming here, but it will honestly take 10 mil a year. Leafs will have to overpay. No way Getzlaf, simply because when most NHLers get to their late 20's, they have wives and kiddies that make it a lot harder to want to move.

Forget Ryan, he stays in Anaheim. Perry we have a small chance only if we overpay.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Doesn't mean they have the money to sign them. Sure, when they were signed initially they had just won the cup and the team was a profitable venture. Not so much anymore.

Their payroll is 56 million this year and they've only got 33 million tied up next year... which means they still need to spend a considerable sum to get to the cap floor.

Dwight K Schrute

Nov 30, 2009
Scranton
Their payroll is 56 million this year and they've only got 33 million tied up next year... which means they still need to spend a considerable sum to get to the cap floor.

Yeah... 11 million to sign 10 players is not hard to do. Getz and Perry would put them wayyyy past the floor.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
you'd think a team with a line of Ryan Getzlaf Perry would make the playoffs

It shows that teams who are focused on just a few players, and too thin in the rest of the lineup rarely are the top teams.

It is probable that two of these three resign with Anaheim, but I doubt they have the money to sign all three. Perry is a very good player, but not exactly our greatest need, unless we aren't planning on resigning Lupul.

I'd sooner just target Getzlaf to go between the existing chemistry between Lupul and Kessel. Use the rest of the money to improve the back end, where our real issues are anyway.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Has Toronto signed a BIG TICKET UFA in the last Decade? I dont' care how much money you want to offer someone - if they're interested in WINNING they'll take a pay cut to achieve it.

Do we even want players that are just in it for the $$$

It's great that you SAY that but history doesn't seem to support it. It does support that players go where money is offered.

I'm not sure why people have such a hard time recognizing that for the past several years, we either haven't made a pitch for the top guys or haven't been willing to match what other teams were (based on all evidence at hand and for fairly obvious reasons).

Whether you want players who are in it for the $ or not is irrelevant. History seems to show that's exactly what they are in it for.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Don't really care for Duhatschek's comparison of Suter and Parise. Left a bad taste around the league and if that's part of the pitch in any way shape or form, I can't see either player signing if the perception were one of betrayal.

That said, I think so long as they both toe a line of non-committment, separation couldn't be seen as unjustified given a consistent message and prior service/accomplishment for the club and city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad