Globe and Mail: Perry and Getzlaf...

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If they make the UFA. I hope the Leafs throw big money, 8M for both with big signing bonuses.

Nonis can run for Mayor if he signs both.

DaveT83*

So lets review:

1. Anaheim is where they've played their entire careers.
2. Southern California is quite a bit nicer than Toronto lol I've lived in both and can atest to it!
3. Randy is a Dinosaur - Like Burke - The NHL has come and passed them both by
4. Toronto like Anaheim has been securely planted in the Basement of the NHL for the last several years - if one were to leave and join a team that had a chance at Stanley Cup - Toronto would be near the bottom of your candidate list

In Summation:

There is a small chance that either of them reach UFA
There is no chance they want to sign in Toronto.

/Thread

Dwight K Schrute

Nov 30, 2009
Scranton
So lets review:

2. Southern California is quite a bit nicer than Toronto lol I've lived in both and can atest to it!
4. Toronto like Anaheim has been securely planted in the Basement of the NHL for the last several years - if one were to leave and join a team that had a chance at Stanley Cup - Toronto would be near the bottom of your candidate list

In Summation:

/Thread

5. There is almost no chance they have the money to resign them

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So lets review:

In Summation:

/Thread

How many big ticket UFA can you name that, once they hit UFA, didn't go to the highest bidder?

RogerRoeper*

So lets review:

In Summation:

/Thread

The Ducks have money issues. there's some serious doubt they can re-sign both.

RogerRoeper*

How many big ticket UFA can you name that, once they hit UFA, didn't go to the highest bidder?

Minnesota just signed the two biggest UFA's. They had 1 more point than the Leafs last season.

And for the "they Signed with the hometown team" comments, they did not take a paycut. They got ridiculous contracts.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota just signed the two biggest UFA's. They had 1 more point than the Leafs last season.

And for the "they Signed with the hometown team" comments, they did not take a paycut. They got ridiculous contracts.

That's what I mean. At the end of the day there seems to be one consistency: whoever offers the most, gets them.

DaveT83*

Has Toronto signed a BIG TICKET UFA in the last Decade? I dont' care how much money you want to offer someone - if they're interested in WINNING they'll take a pay cut to achieve it.

Do we even want players that are just in it for the $$$

DaveT83*

The Ducks have money issues. there's some serious doubt they can re-sign both.

Hockey in Southern California is more popular than Soccer. With L.A winning the Cup and San Jose loaded with 'Stars' - Anaheim is not going to let either of their Franchise players Walk because of money concerns - they'll find a way - they'll waive half their active roster if thats what it takes.

The only way either hits UFA is because they want to WIN again in the Short Term - and don't see the REBUILD in ANA taking shape for another couple years ... Pretty much the EXACT situation Toronto will be in.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Has Toronto signed a BIG TICKET UFA in the last Decade? I dont' care how much money you want to offer someone - if they're interested in WINNING they'll take a pay cut to achieve it.

All players look at the $ at the end of the day, but the market the leafs have is enticing to some and I think Perry is one of those guys, local boy, his family as far as I am aware are huge leaf fans and I know he grew up a leaf fan himself.

Throw money and max contract at him, Getz just might follow suit.

Last edited:

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013

Well the Muskoka 5 made it extremely difficult for the Leafs to offer any player a big contract. Secondly, free agents had been looking for those long-term cap circumventing contracts the last 4-5 years and Burke refused to sign any player to such a deal. This has kept us out of the free agent market.

Has Toronto had this much cap space/flexibility in the last decade? Burke has set us up, and now it's up to Nonis and crew to do something.

RogerRoeper*

Hockey in Southern California is more popular than Soccer. With L.A winning the Cup and San Jose loaded with 'Stars' - Anaheim is not going to let either of their Franchise players Walk because of money concerns - they'll find a way - they'll waive half their active roster if thats what it takes.

The only way either hits UFA is because they want to WIN again in the Short Term - and don't see the REBUILD in ANA taking shape for another couple years ... Pretty much the EXACT situation Toronto will be in.

Anaheim's revenue streams are tiny. We'll see. I think Money is indeed a big issue.

RogerRoeper*

Have they tried?

And what players take pay cuts that are UFA's? It almost never happens.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I hate reading articles like this cause all it does is just grab Leafs fans attention and gets their hopes up including mine lol

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'd just like to see once in my life a legit elite player in their prime from the Toronto or GTA to have the balls to sign with their team. I know it comes down to winning, but I can't stand constantly hear players say " yeah it would be great to play in Toronto" and then when the chance is there they end up somewhere else. This is nothing against Perry or Getzlaf just a bit of a rant there.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It certainly would be nice to have even one of those guys come down here. Just the Leafs for once being able to pull in a big UFA would mean a lot and help just purely make the team better.

RogerRoeper*

Ca we worry about this season that's staring on Saturday rather than fantasizing about UFA's next June that may or may not be available?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad