Globe and Mail: Perry and Getzlaf...

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
2 players who could literally be heroes if they came here. Do they get along with Carlyle?

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Perry is from Peterborough but spent most of the lockout in London, where he played his junior hockey for the Knights. You’d have to think - if home is where the heart is – Perry’s desire to spend so much time in southern Ontario would give the Toronto Maple Leafs an enormous leg up in any bidding war that might occur for his services next summer.

And then, there’s the additional intriguing possibility that Perry and Getzlaf could move together as a package.
Under terms of the new collective bargaining agreement, the Leafs could offer identical seven-year contracts to both players and then worry about making the salary cap numbers work after the fact.

If the Leafs could also land a goaltender of Roberto Luongo’s stature in the meantime, it would also enhance their chances of attracting free agents in the future.

Leafuture

Jan 9, 2013
Toronto may be the team best suited if you consider salary as well as cup-chance . Toronto is probably the only team capable of offering both 8m a piece and a healthy chance to make a cup run post-acquisition. PLENTY of teams would be willing to offer them 7ish mill and a cup chance but as INDIVIDUALS.

The questions that need to be answered are:
Do they want to play together?
Do they mind playing in Toronto's market?
Does the extra 1mill annually on their salaries make a difference to them ?
Do they want to play under Carlyle ?

If all they care about is money and want to play together it's very likely they could end up here.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Reminds me of Brad Richards articles when he came to play to Leafs before he signed with Rags the following off-season.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I'd happily go $11 million for both and worry about the cap implications later. Just to drive home how serious we are. I remember playing with the cap geek calculator and getting it to within ~$350,000 of the $64 million cap next season. Lupul unfortunately had to be cut loose.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
We've had posters bring up all of these arguments and more, this is nothing new guys. Ive done it myself in multiple past threads for these two.

I drool over a top six of JVR, Kessel, Getzlaf, Perry, Kulemin etc

Hockeylaw

Jan 16, 2013
"You’d have to think - if home is where the heart is – Perry’s desire to spend so much time in southern Ontario would give the Toronto Maple Leafs an enormous leg up in any bidding war that might occur for his services next summer."

This is, and always has been, highly dubious reasoning.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Also, next time someone blames Leafs fans for these fantasies about star NHL players joining leafs, tell them that this article was written from Vancouver.

Hopefully, the writer isn't a Leafs fan, or my point is futile. :facepalm:

RogerRoeper*

Meet them on July 1st in a private jet, and offer both identical 7 year/8.5 million contracts.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
If Perry is from Ontario and he is a leafs fan send his favorite player to get him for the meeting and to hand him the contract. Would you turn down a contract from Doug Gilmour or Wendel Clark??

Syn3rgetic

Boats the Burn
Apr 10, 2010
Markham
If Perry is from Ontario and he is a leafs fan send his favorite player to get him for the meeting and to hand him the contract. Would you turn down a contract from Doug Gilmour or Wendel Clark??

Add Sundin and we'd be good to go! I think that would've worked on Stamkos too..oh yeah, we got Burke'd.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I was never a fan of the pursuit in Brad Richards. I admit I maybe got a bit caught up in the hype of it all and eventually kinda wanted him to come here. But I'm glad we didn't sign him.

But as for these two, I'm fully on board for throwing big contracts their way. Getzlaf moreso because he just fits that glaring need so much.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
"You’d have to think - if home is where the heart is – Perry’s desire to spend so much time in southern Ontario would give the Toronto Maple Leafs an enormous leg up in any bidding war that might occur for his services next summer."

This is, and always has been, highly dubious reasoning.

Actually, I read something yesterday (cannot remember the source but, if I do remember, I'll post the link here) in which it talked about how Perry would like to lpay closer to his parents and the rest of his family.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
All I will say is I hope the Leafs do what the Wild did last summer.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
It'd be nice just to get one of them plus a centre from this year's draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad