Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Only an idiot takes less than they are worth, I would never tell a friend of mine to take less money in order to keep the work team together.

The issue is the cap, it certainly isn't the players getting what they are worth.

How much you are worth is dictated by how much teams are willing to pay you. If nobody wants to pay 12M+ for a goalie, then you aren't worth that amount no matter how good you are. And I don't any team is going to offer him that amount. Hell, most of the competitive teams can't even if they wanted to.

Shesterkin is phenomenal but is he 3M better than say, Hellebuyck? No. He really isn't.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
How much you are worth is dictated by how much teams are willing to pay you. If nobody wants to pay 12M+ for a goalie, then you aren't worth that amount no matter how good you are. And I don't any team is going to offer him that amount. Hell, most of the competitive teams can't even if they wanted to.

Shesterkin is phenomenal but is he 3M better than say, Hellebuyck? No. He really isn't.

He and his agent must feel he is worth 12+, if the Rangers don't think he is then he will have to try one of the other teams in the league

Backwards thinking

Yes it is pretty silly to blame players for getting paid what they are worth when it's obviously a cap issue.

Reactions: elmaco

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

He's the same age as Draisaitl who signed for $14 million. Is he $3 million worse than Draisaitl? No. He really isn't.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He's the same age as Draisaitl who signed for $14 million. Is he $3 million worse than Draisaitl? No. He really isn't.

You're comparing different positions, one with which has substantially higher supply than demand.

In fact, bringing up Edmonton is the exact example why very few teams want to invest even 10M in just their starter much less 12+. The Oilers were quite literally a game away from winning the cup with a goalie significantly worse than Shesterkin.

Yes, yes, if they had a better goalie maybe they win but, ironically, goaltending wasn't their problem against Florida. The point still stands that an upgrade on Skinner to Hiller (4.9M), Demko (5M), Hellebuyck (8.5M) or Vasilevskiy (9.5M) would achieve the same thing but with FAR better cap flexibility.

Regardless, you don't compare Shesterkin to Draisaitl. You compare him to other goalies, none of who make remotely close to 12M+ or are that much of a downgrade, if any at all in the case of the latter two.

I don't blame Shesterkin for trying to chase a payday. I just don't think any team, Rangers included, are going to give it to him.

Reactions: Ruggs225

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't like it and that's tough against the cap. But I understand it from Igor's side. I still don't know the exact number and maybe contract clause is also playing a factor with Drury hesitant and playing hard ball after the Trouba summer issues. If there's discussion about the next CBA leaked before the end of the 2024-2025/free agency, look out, because that number could be going up if we find out how much the cap could potentially be rising over the years. On the other hand, Injuries, and a bad year makes it risky for Igor to hold out, but he's going to bet on himself.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You're comparing different positions, one with which has substantially higher supply than demand.

In fact, bringing up Edmonton is the exact example why very few teams want to invest even 10M in just their starter much less 12+. The Oilers were quite literally a game away from winning the cup with a goalie significantly worse than Shesterkin.

Yes, yes, if they had a better goalie maybe they win but, ironically, goaltending wasn't their problem against Florida. The point still stands that an upgrade on Skinner to Hiller (4.9M), Demko (5M), Hellebuyck (8.5M) or Vasilevskiy (9.5M) would achieve the same thing but with FAR better cap flexibility.

Regardless, you don't compare Shesterkin to Draisaitl. You compare him to other goalies, none of who make remotely close to 12M+ or are that much of a downgrade, if any at all in the case of the latter two.

I don't blame Shesterkin for trying to chase a payday. I just don't think any team, Rangers included, are going to give it to him.
Agreed. I think the only way he gets that money is if he is willing to go to a team that has been rock bottom, is on the way back up, but desperately need a goalie and have the cap space.

The issue isn't so much if he is worth it, its a matter of finding a team willing to give it to him. Most teams are swallowing hard on spending 8 million on a goalie so finding much traction at 12 million is going to be rough.

Reactions: Ruggs225

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

And they lost to a team with a much better goalie who was making 10 mill.

Maybe goaltending wasn't their problem against florida. But goaltending (Bob) is why they lost. They scored 5 goals in their 4 losses.

Why is this thread confusing.

Panarin makes 11.6

Shesterkin is the team's best player though and wants to be their highest paid. He wants 12 and will get it.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ok but New York doesn't have McDavid and they're not going to get a McDavid. They have to forge their own path.

Granted if they have it on good record that McDavid is going to sign with the Rangers, then yeah sure, let Igor walk. I think that's a bit unlikely.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
And they lost to a team with a much better goalie who was making 10 mill.

Maybe goaltending wasn't their problem against florida. But goaltending (Bob) is why they lost. They scored 5 goals in their 4 losses.

Why is this thread confusing.

Panarin makes 11.6

Shesterkin is the team's best player though and wants to be their highest paid. He wants 12 and will get it.
They didnt lose to Bob. The rangers go so dominated by Florida that georgiev could have won. Bob made the saves he had too, but wasnt really challenged.

The prior year we got out goalied by superstar akira freaking schmidt. And u know why? Bc the devils team was so good we couldnt muster shit against schmidt.

A good team can cover up alot if your goalie is at least average.

Goalies are more likely to lose you a game singlehandedly than win you a game singlehandedly.

If your strategy is “goalie steals series” than chances are u didnt create the right team.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
They didnt lose to Bob. The rangers go so dominated by Florida that georgiev could have won. Bob made the saves he had too, but wasnt really challenged.

I was talking about Edmonton series.

If you want to talk about the Rangers series, Igor was the only reason the rangers were even in it. Without him they get swept in an embarrassing fashion. Which makes my point. How can you pay Panarin 11.6 to not show up and expect igor to take 10mill and carry the team.

Sorokin was a backup last year at one point making 8.25. Igor is getting paid.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I was talking about Edmonton series.

If you want to talk about the Rangers series, Igor was the only reason the rangers were even in it. Without him they get swept in an embarrassing fashion. Which makes my point. How can you pay Panarin 11.6 to not show up and expect igor to take 10mill and carry the team.
My point is if u already cant win, how can u pay the goalie more and try to field a better team. You cant.

Reactions: Daves a mess

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't like it and that's tough against the cap. But I understand it from Igor's side. I still don't know the exact number and maybe contract clause is also playing a factor with Drury hesitant and playing hard ball after the Trouba summer issues. If there's discussion about the next CBA leaked before the end of the 2024-2025/free agency, look out, because that number could be going up if we find out how much the cap could potentially be rising over the years. On the other hand, Injuries, and a bad year makes it risky for Igor to hold out, but he's going to bet on himself.
Also have to consider NYR can't trade him as they need him. So, if he goes to market, how does he get that $88 mill over 7 years? That would be $12.55 mill aav to get that $88 mill over 7 years.
He turns 29 before the end of the year. So, UFA at 29.5. So, after 7 years he would be 36.5 and could look for another deal if he signed for under $88 mill total.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022

Hellebuyck has been to the playoffs 8 times, he has an over 930 save percentage once. Shesterkin has been to the playoffs 4 times (really 3 as he only played 1 game his first time) and has a 929 sv percentage, 931 and 927 (basically 3 930s). Also he doesn't have any insane blemishes on his record yet like Helle who has 904, 886 and 870 sv percentage in 3 separate playoffs. Honestly he already blows Helle away.

If he was on the open market and available, from the Toronto perspective I would gladly take him in a heartbeat at 13 mill over Marner at 11.

The proof is in the pudding, not only can you win with goalies making absurd amounts (Bobrovsky), but it is always worth to pay Vezina winning goalies like Price who willed a borderline playoff team to a cup finals appearance.

Injuries+players falling off are a non factor because you can literally say that amount any player, so thus paying any player lots of money and term is a bad idea because of that possibility. Shesterkin is one of a kind and he has earned his money.

If he took less than 10 it would be criminal with the cap going to likely 100+ million in the coming years, so that puts him in the 11-13 range, at the end of the day you're not going to lose a cup based on saving 1-2 million on your top end players and if that were the case everybody should've been expecting McDrai to take 10-12 and leave the team a ton of cap.

Bottom line is Shesty has earned it by showing up in the playoffs, you can win paying goalies a ton and ultimately you actually have to pay your best players.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
In 2018-2019
Price signed a contract at th2 age of 31 of 10.5 mill for 13.21% of the cap. Price had 1 Vezina

Igor has 1 Vezina already.
In 2025-2026 the cap is expected to be 92.5 million. 13.21% of the cap is 12.2million

Igor will be only 29 and should be getting 12-12.5 easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad