Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Only an idiot takes less than they are worth, I would never tell a friend of mine to take less money in order to keep the work team together.

The issue is the cap, it certainly isn't the players getting what they are worth.
Backwards thinking

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Only an idiot takes less than they are worth, I would never tell a friend of mine to take less money in order to keep the work team together.

The issue is the cap, it certainly isn't the players getting what they are worth.

How much you are worth is dictated by how much teams are willing to pay you. If nobody wants to pay 12M+ for a goalie, then you aren't worth that amount no matter how good you are. And I don't any team is going to offer him that amount. Hell, most of the competitive teams can't even if they wanted to.

Shesterkin is phenomenal but is he 3M better than say, Hellebuyck? No. He really isn't.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
How much you are worth is dictated by how much teams are willing to pay you. If nobody wants to pay 12M+ for a goalie, then you aren't worth that amount no matter how good you are. And I don't any team is going to offer him that amount. Hell, most of the competitive teams can't even if they wanted to.

Shesterkin is phenomenal but is he 3M better than say, Hellebuyck? No. He really isn't.

He and his agent must feel he is worth 12+, if the Rangers don't think he is then he will have to try one of the other teams in the league

Backwards thinking

Yes it is pretty silly to blame players for getting paid what they are worth when it's obviously a cap issue.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

He's the same age as Draisaitl who signed for $14 million. Is he $3 million worse than Draisaitl? No. He really isn't.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He's the same age as Draisaitl who signed for $14 million. Is he $3 million worse than Draisaitl? No. He really isn't.

You're comparing different positions, one with which has substantially higher supply than demand.

In fact, bringing up Edmonton is the exact example why very few teams want to invest even 10M in just their starter much less 12+. The Oilers were quite literally a game away from winning the cup with a goalie significantly worse than Shesterkin.

Yes, yes, if they had a better goalie maybe they win but, ironically, goaltending wasn't their problem against Florida. The point still stands that an upgrade on Skinner to Hiller (4.9M), Demko (5M), Hellebuyck (8.5M) or Vasilevskiy (9.5M) would achieve the same thing but with FAR better cap flexibility.

Regardless, you don't compare Shesterkin to Draisaitl. You compare him to other goalies, none of who make remotely close to 12M+ or are that much of a downgrade, if any at all in the case of the latter two.

I don't blame Shesterkin for trying to chase a payday. I just don't think any team, Rangers included, are going to give it to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad