Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm not here to argue with anyone, but it's the term that scares me way more than the AAV. I dont need a 37 yr old goaltender pulling down over 11m. I guess I am the sucker because when I envision the deal, he's not sitting on a beach claiming LTIR for the last three years of it like most of these frauds. But this team should be able to develop some goaltender to at least push Igor out of the #1 spot over 8 years. Then what do you do with him?

If the Rangers were worried about term, why did someone with concussions and had a tendency to not show up for the playoffs get 8.5x8 as a 1C from them? There are so many players on the NYR roster you could point to be worried about term but to pick the best player in the world at his position is certainly a choice. He's worthy every penny and this is coming from a rival fan, he almost stole 2023 Round 1 from us and he's stolen games in playoff series that have titled the playoffs in NYR's favor, multiple times v Carolina over the years come to mind as well. You don't pay him and there's teams who will gladly step up and pay him top dollar in UFA on July 1 next year.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
No, the league needs to be reasonable with their expansion into markets. Several locations are not going to be hockey hotbeds, no matter how big the market (see Atlanta or Phoenix). Others love hockey but are just hamstrung because they're in the f***in boonies (Edmonton, Winnipeg)

the league really should only be 6 teams

If Shesterkin wants $12 million a year, then he can go to the KHL!

or someplace even less desirable, like Newark

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
If the Rangers were worried about term, why did someone with concussions and had a tendency to not show up for the playoffs get 8.5x8 as a 1C from them? There are so many players on the NYR roster you could point to be worried about term but to pick the best player in the world at his position is certainly a choice. He's worthy every penny and this is coming from a rival fan, he almost stole 2023 Round 1 from us and he's stolen games in playoff series that have titled the playoffs in NYR's favor, multiple times v Carolina over the years come to mind as well. You don't pay him and there's teams who will gladly step up and pay him top dollar in UFA on July 1 next year.
44 points in 43 playoff games over the past 3 years. Has missed 2 out of the last 244 Rangers games.

Shesterkin has regressed every year the past 3 seasons. He’s great, but he’s no Hank. The teams Shesterkin has had in front of him are light years better than what Hank dealt with. Not to mention the Rangers were completely carried by Quick the first portion of last year

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
44 points in 43 playoff games over the past 3 years. Has missed 2 out of the last 244 Rangers games.

Shesterkin has regressed every year the past 3 seasons. He’s great, but he’s no Hank. The teams Shesterkin has had in front of him are light years better than what Hank dealt with. Not to mention the Rangers were completely carried by Quick the first portion of last year

Zibanejad was a complete ghost v NJ, absolute dogshit v Florida and had the cataclysmic turnover that changed the series in game 4, started off like shit in 2022 until he got hot late v Pittsburgh and carried through till, gee shocker, he stopped scoring v TB as the series went further. I don't care if you think Zibanejad is good or not but if you nutted up and paid him as a franchise 1C then it's absolutely dumb to ignore Shesterkin. Also if you think the norm is his 21-22 season where he should've won the Hart trophy for the best goalie season then that's a you issue not understanding how tremendous that year was. If he's .915-.920 and a monster in the playoffs then the contract is already worth it. Florida last year proved you can win with a goalie with a double digit cap hit, you just can't have awful anchors on the skater side which the Rangers have.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Clearly, I see where you stand here. I have been watching this game for almost 40 years. You don't fix a mistake by making it again. I watched this unfold when Henrik was in the same position. I started a thread asking if he were really in the drivers seat. I got the same reaction you give me today.

My point is this. Don't overpay if you're the only one really in the auction.

Who out there can offer more than 8x11? Who are the contenders? If you want to go sign with a bottom feeder with space so you can fill your wallet, I get it. But I also know you aren't my guy if I give you a comparable ballpark offer with a chance to win and you turn it down.

I let him test the market and ask him, instead of a hometown discount, to give us the courtesy of letting us match the offer. I think that's fair. We love you and don't expect you to leave money on the table. If there were no cap, you get whatever you ask for. But we can't waste space without hurting our chances to win

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Clearly, I see where you stand here. I have been watching this game for almost 40 years. You don't fix a mistake by making it again. I watched this unfold when Henrik was in the same position. I started a thread asking if he were really in the drivers seat. I got the same reaction you give me today.

My point is this. Don't overpay if you're the only one really in the auction.

Who out there can offer more than 8x11? Who are the contenders? If you want to go sign with a bottom feeder with space so you can fill your wallet, I get it. But I also know you aren't my guy if I give you a comparable ballpark offer with a chance to win and you turn it down.

I let him test the market and ask him, instead of a hometown discount, to give us the courtesy of letting us match the offer. I think that's fair. We love you and don't expect you to leave money on the table. If there were no cap, you get whatever you ask for. But we can't waste space without hurting our chances to win

Again, the issue with the Hank years was that they overpaid guys in Girardi and Staal off of good 2-3 years to replicate it later on in their careers. The parallel to that now would be paying Shesterkin and then you pay Lindgren whatever his ask is, just paying Shesterkin alone + getting the defense more mobile for today's game and what hurt them last year v Florida makes them a better team in the long term than if you just trade Shesterkin and HOPE Dylan Garand is 2% of what Shesterkin is. The Rangers don't have the Avs skater talent to where a Darcy Kuemper can win a Cup, their 1C isn't even in the same realm as Nathan MacKinnon. The Rangers also don't have the defensive dmen to play like the Vegas Golden Knights did in 22-23 when they won with Adin Hill. They're a great team but the way they play only works with the great goaltender they have, they're a very opportunistic team when it comes to finishing with very elite goaltending when playoffs come.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Goalie market is being reset. You have a top Goaltender that you don't want to lose, you pay him like you do every other top player. Why should arguably the game's best goaltender take less than Will Nye with one 10th place in point finishes as his high watermark before signing?

One player can't sink a team. If a goalie has a bad season your whole team is screwed, especially if they make insane amounts.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Whichever team pays Asshole whatever he wants will be in major trouble. Asshole doesn't want to win a Cup. He wants to get paid.
and it's his personal responsibility to make the GM's job easier. Everyone else is just taking care of business and getting paid, the front office can figure it all out, but he has a personal obligation to take less money and maybe not win anyways

Reactions: MoneyManny

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
and it's his personal responsibility to make the GM's job easier. Everyone else is just taking care of business and getting paid, the front office can figure it all out, but he has a personal obligation to take less money and maybe not win anyways
Oh! In that case, Swiss Cake Rolls for all!!!

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Whichever team pays Asshole whatever he wants will be in major trouble. Asshole doesn't want to win a Cup. He wants to get paid.
You’re clueless, 90% of it is the club management vs player agent negotiation, not involving the player directly

You think Shesty himself came up with “I want $13m a year”. It’s all coming from the agents that get percentage from these deals

• Haha

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
You’re clueless, 90% of it is the club management vs player agent negotiation, not involving the player directly

You think Shesty himself came up with “I want $13m a year”. It’s all coming from the agents that get percentage from these deals
whatever

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
In a way he's not wrong. The player only feels emboldened to take such a stance because the agent convinces him he's worth it. Otherwise, I would think most players are fairly modest in their asks. They want to be paid value, but no goalie goes into a contract negotiation and says, "I'm going to redefine the salary market for goaltending." Shesterkin just wants to be paid the same % value as Henrik Lundquist, IMO. It's not that "redefining" if it's been done multiple times before. Just so happens that Shesterkin has all the leverage in his corner. Doesn't always work out that way, which is why some goalies take less.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
In a way he's not wrong. The player only feels emboldened to take such a stance because the agent convinces him he's worth it. Otherwise, I would think most players are fairly modest in their asks. They want to be paid value, but no goalie goes into a contract negotiation and says, "I'm going to redefine the salary market for goaltending." Shesterkin just wants to be paid the same % value as Henrik Lundquist, IMO. It's not that "redefining" if it's been done multiple times before. Just so happens that Shesterkin has all the leverage in his corner. Doesn't always work out that way, which is why some goalies take less.
Yeah yeah yeah....I get all that.

Asshole turning down life-changing money is stupid. Plain and simple. For what?

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Yeah yeah yeah....I get all that.

Asshole turning down life-changing money is stupid. Plain and simple. For what?
Oh don't get me wrong. I think the amount of money these guys make is just dumb. But the way the market is set, they're not wrong for asking for "what they are worth" in the given market.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Where was that great team in the series vs Florida? Why was it just Shesterkin who tried to win the series?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That’s it? That’s all you got? Getting paid?

As a Rangers fan, I would kick him to curb.

So he should feel sorry that your team handicapped your roster with other bad personnel decisions, sorry it doesn't work like that in any facet of life. If you don't pay him, someone else will and have fun trying to replace the best goalie in the league in your Cup window if it's still even open

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Most teams want to win the Cup, but loads of players don’t care about that. It’s a high-paying job. When a player does what Asshole is doing, it is an indication that he does not prioritize and value a Championship over ducats. Goodbye to that player.

So he should feel sorry that your team handicapped your roster with other bad personnel decisions, sorry it doesn't work like that in any facet of life. If you don't pay him, someone else will and have fun trying to replace the best goalie in the league in your Cup window if it's still even open
Blah blah blah blah blah blah

• Haha
Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad