Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Its weird seeing the goalie rate increase with the worst crop of star goalies since the 80s
Considering how big goalies are now and the equipment goalies wore in the 80’s compared to today, the guys 40 years ago were better. A goalie today, these jumbo sized ones, wearing the old dull skates, on soft ice, with 40 pounds of sweat soaked (and much smaller and poorer protection) pads would rarely make the National League.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Cap will be very close to 92.400 when Shesty's contract kicks in next year.

The top paid goalies:
Price's first year was 13.21% of the cap
Bob's was 12.27%
Vasi's was 11.66%

A few superstar forwards that seem relevant, without aiming too high:
Panarin was 14.29%
Tavares was 13.84%
Seguin was 12.09%

Given this, 13% doesn't seem that outlandish, does it?
That would essentially be 12.000 per year.

Note: I'm using percentages for when the contract kicked in, and not the cap when it was signed. There may be a discrepancy with what you find online for this reason.
This is something I looked at as well.

If I am Shesterkin I can concede I do not need Panarins % but hot damn I wanna be paid more. Here's the New York Rangers discount. 11.7 x 8.

Any other team it starts with s 12+

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
tough break, I mean what are we suppose to do just stay in a flat cap to help out teams like those? either make money or get relocated. fans need to care more, just as simple as that
No, the league needs to be reasonable with their expansion into markets. Several locations are not going to be hockey hotbeds, no matter how big the market (see Atlanta or Phoenix). Others love hockey but are just hamstrung because they're in the f***in boonies (Edmonton, Winnipeg)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Considering how big goalies are now and the equipment goalies wore in the 80’s compared to today, the guys 40 years ago were better. A goalie today, these jumbo sized ones, wearing the old dull skates, on soft ice, with 40 pounds of sweat soaked (and much smaller and poorer protection) pads would rarely make the National League.
This is speculation. Nothing more.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Its weird seeing the goalie rate increase with the worst crop of star goalies since the 80s
Outside of Hasek/Roy/Brodeur, today's goalies are bigger/stronger/faster/better skaters/better stick handlers/better athletes

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
No, the league needs to be reasonable with their expansion into markets. Several locations are not going to be hockey hotbeds, no matter how big the market (see Atlanta or Phoenix). Others love hockey but are just hamstrung because they're in the f***in boonies (Edmonton, Winnipeg)
oh well, so whats the solution? no more raising the cap? some cities dont deserve a hockey team

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Edmonton is a way bigger market than Winnipeg, it's one of the largest hockey markets full stop now, the NHL wishes they had another Edmonton type market. Metro population is well over 1.5 million and approaching 2 million with no competition from the NBA, NFL, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball, or MLB, it's all hockey, all the time.

The population of Alberta is massively larger than it was 15 years ago (will cross 5 million probably in a matter of months here) and basically half those people live north of Red Deer, but the Oilers have a large fanbase even in Calgary and southern Alberta too. Sask and Western B.C. also.

Last edited:

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
When a guy rejects a deal that would make him the highest paid player in the history of his position, you close the door and walk away.

Love Igor, but there's a line.
Well, he’s plausibly the best goalie in the league (and definitely the best playoff performing goalie) and next year the cap will be higher than it’s ever been, so the baseline expectation should be “highest paid player in history at his position” in unadjusted dollars right? You agree that anything else would logically be a discount?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad