Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think this is the issue.

Swayman you are unproven you are only 25 take a short term cheap deal to prove yourself or take 8x8.

Shesterkin you are older you can't be worth this number after you proved yourself.

Panarin is at 11.6

Shesterkin is more important than Panarin so he should be expecting more. 11.7 or 11.8 for 8 years
Yeah, I totally get where Shesterkin is coming from in these negotiations. The Rangers can't really move on from him. And this is his chance to get paid. He's 29, one of the best goalies in the game, and has made like $25M so far in his career.

I just think it might completely blow up in the Rangers' face if they do it.

Reactions: HBK27

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I don't get it. Who's gonna pay more than that besides NY?

If he went UFA, he would need 7x12.5M+ to get the same amount as what NY is offering him now.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Goalie market is being reset. You have a top Goaltender that you don't want to lose, you pay him like you do every other top player. Why should arguably the game's best goaltender take less than Will Nye with one 10th place in point finishes as his high watermark before signing?

There’s a lot more cup winners with C tier goalies than there are cup winners with C tier forwards. Giguere and Price are the only two I can think of that carried a no-name forward group to the finals. On top of that even if you spend a ton on an elite goalie, you’re going to have to spend even more on a strong defense or the goalie is a waste of money, top forwards are plug and play for the most part.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Screenshot_20241008_101443_Chrome.jpg

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
They gave the 2nd best player on a team 14m a year. Clearly Igor deserves more. Pay him $15x8 once the cap rises like he deserves.

Idiot Stick

Youre back on the case Bobrovsky!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2023
You Got, Florida
That's like asking how can Baseball teams commit a huge chunk of their payroll to starters that only pitch one out of every five games. Or how can NFL teams commit big cap dollars to a Quarterback that only plays half the game.

Because they disproportionately affect winning in the games they do participate in.
can you name an example of this lol?

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
puckpedia.com
It'll probably come out to 11.7 or 11.8,
what's interesting is that he's willing to bet on himself for the remainder of the season. He can say goodbye to any amount this big if he ends up injured or has a statistical meltdown.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You want to back up that statement?

Lots of goalies play well into their mid even late 30s ... Bobrovsky just won a Cup at age 35.

12 million is going to be less than 10% of the cap by the time Igor is in that age range anyway.

People need to start focusing on cap percentage and where the cap is going too, not just fixating on a number.

Reactions: AirGut

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I would agree with this, and yet agents have continued to let young players sign 7-8 year deals at market rates rather than taking bridges and maximizing value like you'd think they should.

I think it’s tough to turn down guaranteed money when you haven’t made much yet though because you never know what can happen. Also, someone like Raymond is probably hurting himself, because he was pretty much already worth his deal last year. Some of these other guys like Guenther are signing deals based on potential though so that’s part of the situation.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
LOL
How can you have that high of an AAV for a guy who sits on the bench for 30 games?????
Even the best forwards/defenceman spend at least 40 games sitting on the bench

Igor is one of the very very few elite goalies in the league right now. I get why he wants top dollars like top end forwards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad