Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Goalie market is being reset. You have a top Goaltender that you don't want to lose, you pay him like you do every other top player. Why should arguably the game's best goaltender take less than Will Nye with one 10th place in point finishes as his high watermark before signing?

The thing about goalies is, there are only 32 starting positions available in the NHL. If you can get a "decent" goalie for 2mil, and a great goalie for 11mil, is the difference really worth 8mil? That's the question, and I'm just not so sure for goalies...

Relating that to my team, if Demko wanted 11mil, and we could have Silovs for 0.85mil, I take Silovs and an additional 10.15mil of roster depth.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Never count out Vegas, they're always looking to land a big fish. But I don't think they pursue it right away as Samsonov has looked good for them so far.

But just the thought of Shesterkin playing in Cassidy's system long term would be scary for the entire league. He would put up prime Hasek type numbers.

They have no cap space and have no assets to offer a haul.

Reactions: CaptainBenn

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
It depends. If you have to give up a ton of assets plus pay a guy $12-13 million a year into his late 30s that's not too appealing.

Most contenders would need to strip their teams down to be able to squeeze him under the cap. And non-contenders wouldn't want to give up the assets required to get him. I suspect the market would not be large.

Carolina Hurricanes have entered the chat.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Swayman milked the Bruins organization to get every last penny out of them. If I was a Bruins fan, I wouldn't be impressed with Jeremy's antics. The guy wasn't willing to take any discount whatsoever to allow the franchise to build a winner around him long term.

Bergeron, Chara, Rask, Marchand all took discounts in the past to allow the organization to build a winner around them.
I'm not saying he didn't. I'm just saying from all reports, Shesterkin's ask sounded almost absurd from the start,

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s the best goalie in the league. It’s not just peak ability - it’s his consistency the past three seasons. At 28 he’s just entering his prime as a goalie. I’m not sure why folks consider 30 to be some magic barrier for goalies. He’s got basically an entire prime ahead of him.

Now, I agree - it will be fascinating to see what the best goalie in the world in his prime is worth…to the Rangers or if not them, whomever…in a league and state of discussion that really downplays the value of high level goaltending.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The thing about goalies is, there are only 32 starting positions available in the NHL. If you can get a "decent" goalie for 2mil, and a great goalie for 11mil, is the difference really worth 8mil? That's the question, and I'm just not so sure for goalies...

Relating that to my team, if Demko wanted 11mil, and we could have Silovs for 0.85mil, I take Silovs and an additional 10.15mil of roster depth.
In the big pad, high leaguewide save % era, this was the exact thinking. Basically Goalies are the RB of Hockey. Even if one guy isn't there, who cares, plug in the next guy and he'll be almost as good. Now that pads have shrunk and leaguewide save % is way down, that makes a premium goaltender more valuable. I think the NHL is a bit slow to realize this though.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Shesterkin knows that teams usually end up flinching.

He is also helped by the Bruins, who got screwed by Swayman and by Bettman, who already projects a massive cap increase for 25-26.

Reactions: FoxYou727

HelmutCool

Jul 3, 2024
Only positive here for Rangers is that their offensive core will fall off the cliff in 3-4 years anyway. Ziba, Kreider, Panarin, Trocheck because of their ages. Wont need to worry about the 3-4 bad years at the end of the 8year contract.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
That's like asking how can Baseball teams commit a huge chunk of their payroll to starters that only pitch one out of every five games. Or how can NFL teams commit big cap dollars to a Quarterback that only plays half the game.

Because they disproportionately affect winning in the games they do participate in.

Not to mention that starting goalies also have more overall TOI throughout the season than any skaters.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not to mention that starting goalies also have more overall TOI throughout the season than any skaters.
Yeah, but they're also basically doing nothing when the puck is in the offensive zone, and doing not a lot when the puck is in the neutral zone. Unless you want to give them a bunch of credit for teams not being able to fire the puck down from their own end and score.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I'm not saying he didn't. I'm just saying from all reports, Shesterkin's ask sounded almost absurd from the start,

I'm not surprised that Igor is asking for this much. He just about single handedly dragged his team to the cup final last year. In fact he was the main reason NY made it to the final 4 last year. This Rangers team is a borderline playoff team without him and no chance they win the Presidents trophy.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It might not solely be the $11M AAV that he turned down, but also the way the contract is structured. Bobrovsky got a ton of signing bonuses in his deal, which bump up the actual value, as well as NMC/trade protections and a lot of money up front. Lots of details about this contract offer that we still don't know. Probably not a good sign though that the Rangers are presumably leaking the details of the offer.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
I can’t blame Shesty watching out for himself, especially with this franchise’s track record when it comes to putting a competent team in front of him.

He’s seen what this organization did to Hank and said f*** that. Im watching out for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad