Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You can thank Swayman as he set the bar. A guy who is entering his very first year as a full-time starter gets $8.5M a year :laugh::laugh::laugh: That means Shesterkin should get double that a year.
The rumor on the ask was above 12 the entire time. I'm not sure Swayman set the bar here for him on his ask. He hasn't backed down off that. Apparently, he also felt his friend didn't get the contract he deserved from NYI. I figured the ask would be high and then somewhere in the middle they meet, but the middle here appears to be much higher.

Reactions: HabzSauce

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If the Rangers were to trade Shesterkin, they would get a haul. Wonder who could afford Shesterkin on a new term. I bet $12.5M x 8 and he signs. Richest goalie contract in NHL history?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
That is nuts

Rangers time to look forward to post Shesterkin era at this point

And frankly that contract is absurd offer to begin with as he only had 1 elite year and has been pedestrian since and will turn 29 in a couple months
He has the best post season numbers in the last 4 playoffs but ok.

.928 save %, 2.41 GAA in 44 games.

Guy know his worth.

Reactions: The Grinder

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The rumor on the ask was above 12 the entire time. I'm not sure Swayman set the bar here for him. He hasn't backed down off that. Apparently, he also felt his friend didn't get the contract he deserved from NYI. I figured the ask would be high and then somewhere in the middle they meet, but the middle here appears to be much higher.

Swayman milked the Bruins organization to get every last penny out of them. If I was a Bruins fan, I wouldn't be impressed with Jeremy's antics. The guy wasn't willing to take any discount whatsoever to allow the franchise to build a winner around him long term.

Bergeron, Chara, Rask, Marchand all took discounts in the past to allow the organization to build a winner around them.

Reactions: Score08

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If the Rangers were to trade Shesterkin, they would get a haul. Wonder who could afford Shesterkin on a new term. I bet $12.5M x 8 and he signs. Richest goalie contract in NHL history?
They aren't in a position to trade him. If he's traded it will most likely be his rights at the end of the season, or they're having a rough season.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Heres the crazy part to me. The most term another team can give is 7 years. So hes banking on that he’ll be able to get $13 aav over 7 years for $91 mill total. He aint leaving here for $3mm more. Hold firm on the offer and if he has a down year, lower the offer

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
You can thank Swayman as he set the bar. A guy who is entering his very first year as a full-time starter gets $8.5M a year, ridiculous :laugh::laugh::laugh: That means Shesterkin should get double that a year.
That was the Bruins decision to use a tandem. It had nothing to do with Swayman's ability.

That's like the Oilers saying to Draisaitl we can't pay you 1C money, you're the 2C!

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
This is shaping up to be a whole lot of money for a goalie who will play almost that entire contract in his 30s.

This.

To a degree, I can understand the need to reset the goalie market, but someone is going to DiPietro the shit out of a team, and I don’t mean Michael.

Reactions: Romang67

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Heres the crazy part to me. The most term another team can give is 7 years. So hes banking on that he’ll be able to get $13 aav over 7 years for $91 mill total. He aint leaving here for $3mm more. Hold firm on the offer and if he has a down year, lower the offer

1. It's $3M more plus whatever he could potentially earn in that 8th year on a new contract.

2. Realistically if they're already offering $11M/per in October, he knows he can get more before July. It's posturing.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Whose going to offer a haul for the privilege of paying him 12.5M?

Never count out Vegas, they're always looking to land a big fish. But I don't think they pursue it right away as Samsonov has looked good for them so far.

But just the thought of Shesterkin playing in Cassidy's system long term would be scary for the entire league. He would put up prime Hasek type numbers.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
How many games does he sit when they matter, you know, the playoffs?

He is a good goaltender
But this requiring a huge percentage of games played in the regular season becuase if his cap allocation
He’ll be 30 on year 1.
You want him to be rested by the playoffs

But he averages about 32 “quality starts” a season

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
It depends. If you have to give up a ton of assets plus pay a guy $12-13 million a year into his late 30s that's not too appealing.

Most contenders would need to strip their teams down to be able to squeeze him under the cap. And non-contenders wouldn't want to give up the assets required to get him. I suspect the market would not be large.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad