Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Should have signed the dotted line. Chances of him losing money are greater than gaining more after this season. That AAV would kill the Rangers at the end of his term, too.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
That is nuts

Rangers time to look forward to post Shesterkin era at this point

And frankly that contract is absurd offer to begin with as he only had 1 elite year and has been pedestrian since and will turn 29 in a couple months
Grunching, but with scoring up 0.913 is not pedestrian anymore (maybe it never was). He finished 10th and 9th in Sv% the last two years for goalies that played 30+ games.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
This is going make the depietro contract look good lolol

Guys is gonna be on the birth side of 35 for 30 percent of this contract as well lolol

Reactions: WhataKnight

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Some still undervalue goalies cause they rate them only off of how many season games they play and I get it to appoint but let’s not neglect the fact how important they can be during the playoffs.

Too some others maybe even the same people the cap is going to raise drastically in like 3 years where 7 to 8mil players now will be getting 10mil then it’s actual shocking how people can’t see this..

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I know the goalie market is different now and there's an age difference but Helleybuck signed a 7 year $8.5m contract just last year and Swayman the same just recently so it's kind of insane for Shesterkin to turn down down 8 years $11m/yr is lunacy and pretty selfish tbh.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
It depends. If you have to give up a ton of assets plus pay a guy $12-13 million a year into his late 30s that's not too appealing.

Most contenders would need to strip their teams down to be able to squeeze him under the cap. And non-contenders wouldn't want to give up the assets required to get him. I suspect the market would not be large.

Rangers should sign Shesterkin for no more than 4 years. Give him 13-14 per year if that's his ask. The reason is because the Rangers window to win will be closed in 3 years tops with an aging Zibanejad, Panarin, etc.

Bond

May 10, 2012
So he needs to get traded to a team that will pay him 12 million dollars. Seems risky.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Perfectly reasonable.

Any agent worth his business card knows that the salary cap is massively undervalued and is going to massively rise in the next 3-4 years. The people who are saying "well who knows" don't know what they're talking about and haven't looked at the massive growth in NHL revenue numbers honestly.

11 mill is not going to be what it has been under COVID cap conditions, the impending rise of the cap has to be factored in.

11 mill against a 106 million cap for example is about the same as 8 mill against a 79.5 million cap from a few years ago.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
IMO no way he said no to the AAV, it has to be length or structure related

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Perfectly reasonable.

Any agent worth his business card knows that the salary cap is massively undervalued and is going to massively rise in the next 3-4 years.

11 mill is not going to be what it has been under COVID cap conditions, the impending rise of the cap has to be factored in.

I would agree with this, and yet agents have continued to let young players sign 7-8 year deals at market rates rather than taking bridges and maximizing value like you'd think they should.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would agree with this, and yet agents have continued to let young players sign 7-8 year deals at market rates rather than taking bridges and maximizing value like you'd think they should.

We're seeing with the higher end players like Shesterkin and even you can look at the Draisaitl deal ... I think they're pricing in a large cap rise coming.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You don't want a 37 year old making 12 m per. Trade him right effing now.

The cap will be like 120 million+ when he's 37, and if he's still one of the best goalies in the league (goalies age better than other positions), then what's the problem exactly?

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think it’s fair to ask if given the pad adjustments if elite goalies have more value than they have the last 10 years. Is there a bigger delta between them and a league average starter? Are more shots being scoring chances mean that goalies are less about the system in front of them and they control more? I don’t know the answers and I am not sure if any stat crunching has enough of a sample to be meaningful. But it sure seems like goalies are trying to make that argument.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
This is shaping up to be a whole lot of money for a goalie who will play almost that entire contract in his 30s.
I think this is the issue.

Swayman you are unproven you are only 25 take a short term cheap deal to prove yourself or take 8x8.

Shesterkin you are older you can't be worth this number after you proved yourself.

Panarin is at 11.6

Shesterkin is more important than Panarin so he should be expecting more. 11.7 or 11.8 for 8 years

Reactions: Romang67

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Some still undervalue goalies cause they rate them only off of how many season games they play and I get it to appoint but let’s not neglect the fact how important they can be during the playoffs.
They also seem to forget that goalies generally play 60 minutes a game, whereas the highest paid skaters only spend ~1/3 of the game on the ice.

Reactions: BergyWho37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad