Rumor: Per Kevin Weekes. Shesterkin rejects NYRs $88M / 11M AAV offer

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sure it does, relatively unproven goalie gets 8.25, so proven franchise goalie can ask for way more than that now.
No it doesn’t. That’s like saying Connor McDavid can ask for more money because Seth Jarvis got paid.

It’s two completely different markets

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I honestly don’t think there’s a single team that would take Shesterkin (or any goalie) at $11M until the cap jumps significantly more.

Why spend $11-12M when you can just wait until the cap goes up so you don’t take up valuable purchasing power you have right now.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I honestly don’t think there’s a single team that would take Shesterkin (or any goalie) at $11M until the cap jumps significantly more.

Why spend $11-12M when you can just wait until the cap goes up so you don’t take up valuable purchasing power you have right now.

Sure, but they will spend more on soft wingers that never win you anything when it counts?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
and that still doesnt change the fact that baseball doesnt have a salary cap and you tried to make that link
LOLOLOLOL
Take the L, if you ever learn anything about the real world, you'll know every organization's resources are finite. A "salary cap" doesn't mean pitchers won't still occupy a high percentage of payroll. Nice try on the failed "gotcha".

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
LOL im sorry but idc who the goalie is if hes turning down 11million id be saying let the door hit you in the ass on way out i'll take my chances trading for one.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
LOL
How can you have that high of an AAV for a guy who sits on the bench for 30 games?????

34 goalies had a higher time on ice last season than John Carlson, who lead skaters in TOI.

This argument never really holds any water with goalies, since starters are technically on the bench less than any skater.

Its about the opportunity cost. And Shesterkin, like Swayman, is willing to bet that the degree of difficulty to replace him and the demand for elite goaltending justifies it.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida

Depends on what the tandem would make. Assuming the backup next year makes around the same or less than Quick, ~$13million for a goalie tandem is basically what Florida has and won the cup with. It's doable as long as the rest of the team is built around it. I also think Trouba is on his way out by next year to fit in Igor.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
The takes that Shesterkin is not worth more than 11 mil AAV are hilarious. Have you watched him the last three postseasons? The guy IS the reason the Rangers have had any success at all there.
Exactly! Which is why they need to cut bait. Our core kinda sucks, is getting old, and now we will have no cap space to help build.

Go all in this year, but if they fall short…. I would start looking at what assets to sell such as panarin, keeider etc who are at the end of their contracts and could still get a haul. Staying wjth Shesty is just maskjng the actual problem.

No elite 1c. And paying shesty wont fix that problem.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
34 goalies had a higher time on ice last season than John Carlson, who lead skaters in TOI.

This argument never really holds any water with goalies, since starters are technically on the bench less than any skater.

Its about the opportunity cost. And Shesterkin, like Swayman, is willing to bet that the degree of difficulty to replace him and the demand for elite goaltending justifies it.

and what's this salary compared to swayman? 30% higher?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Worth every penny, he is as clearly the best goalie in the league as McDavid is the best player imo. Rangers made a big mistake not signing him to max term on his last contract, I remember being one of the few people complaining that we should've signed him longer. Others thought we signed him too long for too much LOL

Reactions: um

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
You can thank Swayman as he set the bar. A guy who is entering his very first year as a full-time starter gets $8.5M a year, ridiculous :laugh::laugh::laugh: That means Shesterkin should get double that a year.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Take the L, if you ever learn anything about the real world, you'll know every organization's resources are finite. A "salary cap" doesn't mean pitchers won't still occupy a high percentage of payroll. Nice try on the failed "gotcha".

You tried to sound intelligent
salary cap comparison LOLOLOLOLOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad