Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Again, maybe stop focusing on the "market" and look more into the appeal of the sport from the population. Anyway I am done arguing because it's f***ing useless the NHL are never coming back to Quebec City anyway.

Green Bay has a NFL team, how is that possible? Well they breathe and live for Football just like canadian with hockey.
Green Bay has a football team because of historical accident, and because there are only 8 or 9 home games in a given year and people travel from all over the state and region to attend them. That does not work with an 82 game schedule where you have 41 home games and playoff series rather than single playoff games. They are a whole of Wisconsin team located in a town that would absolutely never be granted a team in any sport today.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Green Bay has a NFL team, how is that possible? Well they breathe and live for Football just like canadian with hockey.

Or maybe Green Bay is an hour and a half north of Milwaukee, which has a metro population of 1.6 million and a GDP of $120 billion.

Green Bay is barely outside of the Milwaukee metro. That's pretty much the only reason a city with a population of 300k can support a NFL team.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Do you mean from a 'why do they care only about hockey' standpoint, or that we should have something else?

Vancouver definitely has an appetite for NBA returning, like-wise with Montreal & the MLB (perhaps NBA too).

TSN is stupid. Arizona's situation is not viable but that team/franchise will have a very bright future in SLC - despite still needing a new arena.

Montreal has a better chance (and real interest) at getting an NBA team than an MLB team. Silver mentioned them by name. The Bell Center would work but I don't know how scheduling would work as the Bell Center also hosts a bunch of non-sporting events.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Do you mean from a 'why do they care only about hockey' standpoint, or that we should have something else?

Vancouver definitely has an appetite for NBA returning, like-wise with Montreal & the MLB (perhaps NBA too).

TSN is stupid. Arizona's situation is not viable but that team/franchise will have a very bright future in SLC - despite still needing a new arena.
I can with great certainty that MLB in Montreal would be successful for maybe 2 or 3 seasons before it starts fading fast, I have experienced it the only sport that is relevant in Montreal is the NHL/hockey. CFL and MLS teams are struggling and if a MLB team join the hardcore are not enough to sustain the team for a while.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
You can try to twist it all you want, but the reality is that Quebec City has the economy of a tiny city in the United States. That's why the NHL has no interest in going back to Quebec City.

Quebec City's has the same population and a smaller economy than Dayton, Ohio. I'd bet a majority of people on here have never even heard of Dayton, Ohio.
I was just in Dayton a few days ago, the Air Force Museum is staggering. Can't recommend it enough. The old Wright Brothers area needs a bit of economic revival, though, but don't knock Dayton.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Green Bay has a football team because of historical accident, and because there are only 8 or 9 home games in a given year and people travel from all over the state and region to attend them. That does not work with an 82 game schedule where you have 41 home games and playoff series rather than single playoff games. They are a whole of Wisconsin team located in a town that would absolutely never be granted a team in any sport today.

Green Bay is also effectively in the Milwaukee metro area, which has a population of 1.6 million. It's not just Green Bay, basically the entire state of Wisconsin loves the Packers.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
"Located in the league’s smallest market — the Quebec metropolitan area now has about 800,000 people — the Nordiques struggled financially for years and left for Denver in 1995."

QC doesn't have a team because it wasn't making money in the 90s and the NHL doesn't view it as a legitimate market due to its size and battling with fans for Montreal.
Not to mention the greater Denver area has 2.5 million people or so Colorado Springs and hourish away have close to 500k and Fort Collins has 200kish which is an hour away

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was just in Dayton a few days ago, the Air Force Museum is staggering. Can't recommend it enough. The old Wright Brothers area needs a bit of economic revival, though, but don't knock Dayton.

I remember I went to a Silver Sticks tournament when it was hosted in Dayton when I was a teenager. The Air Force museum was excellent even 15 years ago, I figure it's even better now.

Reactions: CBJx614 and cptjeff

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
As if this does not apply to Quebec.

The fanbase is not just 800k from the city but also from the other regions in the Quebec province and even from Montreal. Myself, I grew up a Nordiques fan and now I live in Montreal.

They would get more support than given credit for.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Montreal has a better chance (and real interest) at getting an NBA team than an MLB team. Silver mentioned them by name. The Bell Center would work but I don't know how scheduling would work as the Bell Center also hosts a bunch of non-sporting events.

I agree. Silver has mentioned both Van & Montreal.

The problem in Vancouver is the price tag to get a team, Aquillini can't afford it & they own the rink which isn't ideal if there was different ownership, and good luck getting a new arena built here.

Don't know if that would be the same issue in Montreal. But I could see the league being highly interested in returning to Canada after Vegas/Seattle expansion, just a matter of the hurdles.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Mad respect to Meruelo for swindling the league out of $700M :laugh:

Honestly, I think he's going to swindle the league for even more than that.

I have a feeling that his whole "buy land to build an arena" idea is a farce that he doesn't intend to follow through on. The NHL will award him rights to the Coyotes name and a Phoenix team as a part of the sale, but I bet he tries to sell it to someone else that actually wants to bring the Coyotes back.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Or maybe Green Bay is an hour and a half north of Milwaukee, which has a metro population of 1.6 million and a GDP of $120 billion.

Green Bay is barely outside of the Milwaukee metro. That's pretty much the only reason a city with a population of 300k can support a NFL team.
What if you include Montreal GDP into Quebec City while you are at it, it's quite similar only 2 hours and a half from Quebec City

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I agree. Silver has mentioned both Van & Montreal.

The problem in Vancouver is the price tag to get a team, Aquillini can't afford it & they own the rink which isn't ideal if there was different ownership, and good luck getting a new arena built here.

Don't know if that would be the same issue in Montreal. But I could see the league being highly interested in returning to Canada after Vegas/Seattle expansion, just a matter of the hurdles.

Molson owns the Bell Center but AFAIK is not involved in the group of Montreal businessmen interested in bringing the NBA to Montreal. Not sure how he would feel about having an NBA team using his arena but the Bell Center does host pre-season games every year.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I can with great certainty that MLB in Montreal would be successful for maybe 2 or 3 seasons before it starts fading fast, I have experienced it the only sport that is relevant in Montreal is the NHL/hockey. CFL and MLS teams are struggling and if a MLB team join the hardcore are not enough to sustain the team for a while.
It always boils down to location and owner. CFL and MLS are failing here because the stadiums suck, they're in shitty locations, and the owners have been trash. It's the trifecta.

For MLB, it could work with the right owner and right location. NBA is a stupid pipedream. You have how many morons with all these xenophobic ideas about a place like Toronto, multiply that by 10 with Montreal. It would fail 100%

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What if you include Montreal GDP into Quebec City while you are at it, it's quite similar only 2 hours and a half from Quebec City

Because Montreal isn't going to fund a Quebec City hockey team like Milwaukee funds the Packers.

The Packers play in Green Bay but essentially the whole of Wisconsin is rabid about them. A Quebec City team would never be able to accomplish that in Quebec as long as the Habs exist.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Thanks for posting this, I was going to write something similar. Hopefully people can stop with the Green Bay comparisons.

Waterbury, CT has a larger population than Green Bay, let's bring a MLB team to Waterbury!!!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

The fanbase is not just 800k from the city but also from the other regions in the Quebec province and even from Montreal. Myself, I grew up a Nordiques fan and now I live in Montreal.

It applies to Quebec and any other small or midsize regional city. The Green Bay model only works for sports where games are rare special events, which is really just football.

Quebec City isn't getting an NHL team. It's just not big enough. Get over it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Saw the report about Armstrong informing players its likely. Def sucks for the actual Coyotes fans. I'm a huge Cleveland Browns fan through my dad (who grew up a Jim Brown fan), and have made the trip there multiple times. While the Coyotes aren't a local institution to the extent the Browns are in Cleveland, it will be devastating to the people who are actually fans of the Coyotes. Sucks they could never figure it out in the desert.

Very few people are travelling long distances for the NHL are the type of customers that are the lifeblood of NHL teams. NHL teams rely heavily on season ticket holders to be in the green. People aren't travelling from over an hour for 41 games a year.

Reactions: cptjeff

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Thanks for posting this, I was going to write something similar. Hopefully people can stop with the Green Bay comparisons.

Waterbury, CT has a larger population than Green Bay, let's bring a MLB team to Waterbury!!!
I would back you up Waterbury

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The league was different when Quebec was absorbed from a rival league(put there to compete against the Canadiens), the league was different when the Nordiques moved(no hard cap), and it's different today as there are more teams in the east now than in 1995(and nobody wants to move west).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad