Per Friedman: Coyotes players told team moving to Utah starting next season (Mod warning post #50)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What is SLC going to do about the arena? From my understanding, it's terrible for hockey (a la Barclays in Brooklyn).

They've already gotten funding approved for a new arena. They were planning on building it already for the 2034 Winter Olympics.

I figure the hockey team plays in Delta Center for 3 or so years and then move to a new arena.

Jason316

Oct 3, 2017
Santa Monica California
Players aren't going to be climbing over each other to play hockey in Utah but it's still better than playing for a Canadian team so we'll see how this all works out.

More people will want to play In Utah than places like Jersey or Columbus or Pittsburgh lol

I saw on ESPN+ Bobby Ryan and another American player saying they prefer playing in Vancouver(obviously because it's beautiful) + it's close to Montana, Idaho.

If players like Montana and Idaho and the Dakotas they will LOVE Utah!!!!

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Quebec City's GDP was $40.1 billion Canadian in 2022, which is about $30 billion in USD. Salt Lake City's GDP in 2022 was $111 billion USD.
Sure, convert that great SLC GDP into tangible income to the NHL before dragging down a market with no major professional sport franchise. You clearly forget that NHL is still driven by gate revenues unlike other sports.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sure, start by translating that great Utah economy into big bucks before talking shit about a market you know nothing about.

Quebec has one of the highest growing economy in Canada but you won't know that because you are fixated about 800k.

Quebec has way more growing potential than Winnipeg for instance but they are always used as comparable for some reason.
Timing is everything. Utah had it and no one else does. Not Quebec, not anyone.

Reactions: CBJx614

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The new Atlanta & Arizona expansion teams of course :sarcasm:
I will be real, I do not mind american bringing down canadian market because they are very small market but what I don't get is that in Canada, NHL/Hockey is everything and there are no other major sports in all these markets unlike in the USA when all the major market have 4 or 5 leagues + college.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
No, it's completely right. The Habs already have such a dominant stronghold in Quebec City through TV deals and it would be extremely challenging for a new Quebec City team to break into that. Not only from a fan interest perspective, but what the Habs would charge to lose that TV income.

lol Naaa. The Habs had a most more dominant stronghold in the province when the Nords came in in the league. At the time, the Habs were multi times Stanley Cup champions. And the Nords had to scratch like mad men to get a voice and they finally got one. Now the people in the province are starving for a competition in the province mainly cause the Habs have disappointed the people so much. Also the Canadian NHL deal is with Quebecor would manage the Videotron Center in Quebec and they would be the potential owners. These guys are loads. People have no idea how much more crazy money th NHL would make with the Nords returning.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sure, convert that great SLC GDP into tangible income to the NHL before dragging down a market with no major professional sport franchise. You clearly forget that NHL is still driven by gate revenues unlike other sports.

You can try to twist it all you want, but the reality is that Quebec City has the economy of a tiny city in the United States. That's why the NHL has no interest in going back to Quebec City.

Quebec City's has the same population and a smaller economy than Dayton, Ohio. I'd bet a majority of people on here have never even heard of Dayton, Ohio.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You can try to twist it all you want, but the reality is that Quebec City has the economy of a tiny city in the United States. That's why the NHL has no interest in going back to Quebec City.

Quebec City's economy is smaller than Dayton, Ohio.
Again, maybe stop focusing on the "market" and look more into the appeal of the sport from the population. Anyway I am done arguing because it's f***ing useless the NHL are never coming back to Quebec City anyway.

Green Bay has a NFL team, how is that possible? Well they breathe and live for Football just like canadian with hockey.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I still call BS on how many players are saying this.

First off who does Gord Miller talk too? Second the timing of it was odd, players really getting on their phones to let Gord Miller know they hate SLC when the season is still ongoing?

Guy probably heard one guy bring it up and is making a story out of nothing.

Gord Miller has been covering the NHL for close to 40 years.

Reactions: dalewood12

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
So I read that Salt Lake City is going to try and be a contender this off-season. Wonder if they try to be the team that lands Stamkos as the first captain and signs big names like Guentzel, Marchessault or Montour. Or land a star goaltender. Matt Duchene is another name I see considering his wife is from Colorado which is close.

Mind you, it'd be nice for Salt Lake City to get Celebrini.

I have pitched the name Stingers for the team name. But if not, I pitch Utah Unicorns.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Again, maybe stop focusing on the "market" and look more into the appeal of the population. Anyway I am done arguing because it's f***ing useless the NHL are never coming back to Quebec City anyway.

The "appeal of the population" means nothing if they can't afford to buy tickets and the team gets no sponsorship money from a poor city.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Sure, start by translating that great Utah economy into big bucks before talking shit about a market you know nothing about.

Quebec has one of the highest growing economy in Canada but you won't know that because you are fixated about 800k.

Quebec has way more growing potential than Winnipeg for instance but they are always used as comparable for some reason.
Quebec is heavily subsidized by the rest of Canada. its a house of cards. Also is there a buyer willing to pay 1.2 billion for the new team? QC is not a viable NHL city. The numbers don't work.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
why do people not like Ryan Smith? I know nothing about him outside of him owning the Jazz. And it doesn’t seem like he’s that rich tbh

2.2 billion is pocket change these days

I think it's more broadly about the fact he's one of those overnight tech billionaires who got lucky in a "right place, right time" sort of way off of some software that doesn't contribute anything appreciable to the world. And is now quite outspoken in a very, "i'm smarter than everyone else" sort of way as a result. He can be a bit...abrasive and aggressive in marketing his personal ideas and beliefs in a bit of a condescending way. That sort of profile and personality has a tendency to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

But honestly...how many NHL owners are truly beloved? lol.

They've already gotten funding approved for a new arena. They were planning on building it already for the 2034 Winter Olympics.

I figure the hockey team plays in Delta Center for 3 or so years and then move to a new arena.

Yeah. The Olympics have to definitely be a factor in this whole thing in general. With that whole thing moving along, you have to imagine that factors into the long-term plans for the city, the team, the arena plans, and the NHL in general probably wanting to capitalize on that momentum.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I will be real, I do not mind american bringing down canadian market because they are very small market but what I don't get is that in Canada, NHL/Hockey is everything and there are no other major sports in all these markets unlike in the USA when all the major market have 4 or 5 leagues + college.

Do you mean from a 'why do they care only about hockey' standpoint, or that we should have something else?

Vancouver definitely has an appetite for NBA returning, like-wise with Montreal & the MLB (perhaps NBA too).

tsn is already going after Salt Lake City

TSN is stupid. Arizona's situation is not viable but that team/franchise will have a very bright future in SLC - despite still needing a new arena.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So I read that Salt Lake City is going to try and be a contender this off-season. Wonder if they try to be the team that lands Stamkos as the first captain and signs big names like Guentzel, Marchessault or Montour. Or land a star goaltender. Matt Duchene is another name I see considering his wife is from Colorado which is close.

Mind you, it'd be nice for Salt Lake City to get Celebrini.

I have pitched the name Stingers for the team name. But if not, I pitch Utah Unicorns.

I wonder how all those LTIR contracts are going to work for them, like Weber's.

Reactions: naznordiques95
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad