Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Welp... Seems this Thread has run its course. :shakehead

Seriously, until there is any news of some sort, it looks like we are at status quo.

My guess is that Saturday will tell the tale... at least I hope it will. We have to get this Goalie situation clarified and move forward.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
TSN here they sure prefer Elliot to Mase as he fits better to split with Helly. Mase demands to be the starter is 100% a factor across the league as they are really hung up on it here.

I don't go along with the people who abuse Mason for making those demands; it's his right to say that's what he wants. But he must know it's not just Flyers management who look at those kind of blunt statements and thinks, hmm, is he going to be a good fit here?

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
per sam c, masons agent says he will play elsewhere next seson

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Really not upset about this at all.

Mason may be the best goalie available when it comes to potential, but "losing" him doesn't feel like a huge loss because I don't see him as a long-term part of the team, even if he did come back. We've basically bet on our goalie prospects and that's fine by me.

From a personal standpoint, I never thought he was particularly likable either, so there's no emotional attachment there. You kinda get attached to guys like Giroux, Voracek, or Simmonds because of their personalities, even ignoring their on-ice play, but he just wasn't like that.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I can't fathom why the Flyers are so gung-ho about their little platoon. As if actually having a goalie who can start and who you can depend on -- and not have a carousel of two guys you don't know if you can trust at any given time -- is some bad thing. Goalie platoons suck, and it's code for not having a goalie good enough to start and usually leads to awkwardness. There are no good platoons that are better than having a great starter, and contending teams don't tend to have platoons. Having 2 good goalies is totally not the same as having a platoon.

I prefer Elliott to Bernier, but we could be getting a guy who hasn't started more than 45 games in the last 9 seasons, and has settled into a split-start guy who only did well in St. Louis. And another guy whose career high is 44 starts, which was 7 years ago, and who has started more than 30 games exactly once since. I guess the plan is to pray for league average goaltending because these guys are pretty much "they are what they are." What irks me the most is, especially at this position, we don't have a clue as to who is our future starter or when. Even Hart and Sandstrom could be 3-4 years away from that minimum, and it's hard to make guarantees. Stolarz isn't even a backup yet in the NHL. Every year will they be re-evaluating and finding a new goalie? Flyers are really flying by the seat of their pants here.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can't fathom why the Flyers are so gung-ho about their little platoon. As if actually having a goalie who can start and who you can depend on -- and not have a carousel of two guys you don't know if you can trust at any given time -- is some bad thing. Goalie platoons suck, and it's code for not having a goalie good enough to start and usually leads to awkwardness. There are no good platoons that are better than having a great starter, and good teams don't tend to have platoons. Having 2 good goalies is totally not the same as having a platoon.

So, we could be getting a guy who hasn't started more than 45 games in the last 9 seasons, and has settled into a split-start guy who only did well in St. Louis. And another guy whose career high is 44 starts, which was 7 years ago, and who has started more than 30 games exactly once since. I guess the plan is to pray for league average goaltending. What irks me the most is, especially at this position, we don't have a clue as to who is our future starter or when. Even Hart and Sandstrom could be 3-4 years away from that minimum, and it's hard to make guarantees. Stolarz isn't even a backup yet in the NHL. Flyers are really flying by the seat of their pants here.

I'm with you.

The lack of planning going on about the most important position on the ice is both odd and troublesome. Clearly Hextall knows how important the position is considering he has drafted 5 goalies in the past 3 years.

Elliott is not a great option and it just seems like a lazy uninspired option.

Show some balls and trade for Mrazek. He is 6 years younger and 1 year removed from posting a .921 save percentage in 54 starts.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think there is a lack of planning. They are just done with Mason and whatever his contract and other demands are to stay in Philly.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It is what it is. Hopefully it's just a one year deal so they're not married to either him or Neuvirth past this upcoming year if things don't go well. Even if he's not the starter hopefully Stolarz can do enough to knock Neuvirth out of a backup spot this year when Neuvirth gets hurt.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They have a plan, and it was obvious the plan all along was to get another stop gap platoon guy to have a 2A/2B with Neuvirth. But that doesn't mean it's a sound plan.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They have a plan, and it was obvious the plan all along was to get another platoon guy to have a 2A/2B with Neuvirth. But that doesn't mean it's a sound plan.

I like it better than committing to Mason as a a 4 year starter, which seems to be what he expected.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Elliott is not a great option and it just seems like a lazy uninspired option.

He's averaged 42 games and .919 the past four years.

If he could do that here, and leave the rest of the games to Neuvirth, Stolarz and Lyon (who is also a call up option in 17-18) then that would be great.

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
mason..... a riot right up till the end :sarcasm:
awesome self opinion of himself and his talents BUT ya gotta show it on the ice and not just talk the talk ..... annoying just how vocal he was late last season after certain games when the Flyers were struggling to make the playoffs.....
he should have just **** and played the position :shakehead
some other teams psychological headache now ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad