Roster Moves: Per Agent, Mason Likely Moving on From Flyers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I actually think I would take Bernier over Elliott.

He is 4 years younger and has shown he can handle 55+ games on 2 different occasions.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Elliott is a solid regular season goalie. His playoff performances haven't been very good, but we still have Neuvirth for that. ;)

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I actually think I would take Bernier over Elliott.

He is 4 years younger and has shown he can handle 55+ games on 2 different occasions.

Handing 55+ games out of necessity and being a quality starting goalie are very different.

In the last four seasons, Niemi, Lehtonen, Howard, and Pavelic have all had multiple seasons of 50+ games played.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I can't fathom why the Flyers are so gung-ho about their little platoon. As if actually having a goalie who can start and who you can depend on -- and not have a carousel of two guys you don't know if you can trust at any given time -- is some bad thing. Goalie platoons suck, and it's code for not having a goalie good enough to start and usually leads to awkwardness. There are no good platoons that are better than having a great starter, and contending teams don't tend to have platoons. Having 2 good goalies is totally not the same as having a platoon.

I prefer Elliott to Bernier, but we could be getting a guy who hasn't started more than 45 games in the last 9 seasons, and has settled into a split-start guy who only did well in St. Louis. And another guy whose career high is 44 starts, which was 7 years ago, and who has started more than 30 games exactly once since. I guess the plan is to pray for league average goaltending because these guys are pretty much "they are what they are." What irks me the most is, especially at this position, we don't have a clue as to who is our future starter or when. Even Hart and Sandstrom could be 3-4 years away from that minimum, and it's hard to make guarantees. Stolarz isn't even a backup yet in the NHL. Every year will they be re-evaluating and finding a new goalie? Flyers are really flying by the seat of their pants here.

I'm of the mind that the de facto goalie position will be split in three, and I'm okay that there should be a decent chunk of games not played by Neuvirth or (potentially) Elliott. Optimally, I would like to see Stolarz get a good 10 games with at least 2-3 in a row to show what he's got. Just don't leave him sitting on the bench during one of the extended injury stints.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
40 for Elliott, 20 for Neuvirth, 20 for Stolarz and/or Lyon would be a good split.

Ideally one or both of the young goalies will play so well in the AHL that they demand NHL starts in 17-18.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If Neuvirth is pushed out and were to be bought out, would only cost $1M then $750K, which we could afford to do if it came to that.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Handing 55+ games out of necessity and being a quality starting goalie are very different.

In the last four seasons, Niemi, Lehtonen, Howard, and Pavelic have all had multiple seasons of 50+ games played.

He posted .922 and .912 save prtg in those 2 seasons. Well above league average then just below, on terrible Toronto teams.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
I can't fathom why the Flyers are so gung-ho about their little platoon. As if actually having a goalie who can start and who you can depend on -- and not have a carousel of two guys you don't know if you can trust at any given time -- is some bad thing. Goalie platoons suck, and it's code for not having a goalie good enough to start and usually leads to awkwardness. There are no good platoons that are better than having a great starter, and contending teams don't tend to have platoons. Having 2 good goalies is totally not the same as having a platoon.

I prefer Elliott to Bernier, but we could be getting a guy who hasn't started more than 45 games in the last 9 seasons, and has settled into a split-start guy who only did well in St. Louis. And another guy whose career high is 44 starts, which was 7 years ago, and who has started more than 30 games exactly once since. I guess the plan is to pray for league average goaltending because these guys are pretty much "they are what they are." What irks me the most is, especially at this position, we don't have a clue as to who is our future starter or when. Even Hart and Sandstrom could be 3-4 years away from that minimum, and it's hard to make guarantees. Stolarz isn't even a backup yet in the NHL. Every year will they be re-evaluating and finding a new goalie? Flyers are really flying by the seat of their pants here.

I don't think they're gung-ho about a goalie platoon. There aren't any great starting options available so they don't want to hitch the team to a goal that they don't see being part of the long term future of the time. With the salary cap it's hard to commit in a long term or big money let alone both when you don't really have that much faith in them. You even more so don't want to get suck with a prohibitive contract when there are several promising goalies in the system and they're expecting them to be competing for that spot in a few years. Long story short there are no very good options so maintain flexibility at that position so when a true starting goalie becomes be it from with in or otherwise they're able to make them the starter.

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
Tripod ..... Huh??
BrindamoursNose.....What?

and another thing, about the Flyers having to change goalie coaches to TRY to get thru to this whiny "adult" ..... I'm not done with this whole issue yet, I'll be back venting.
I demand to be heard :sarcasm:
:rant:
mase has nothing on me !
:cheers:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad