Post-Game Talk: Pens vs Oilers

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Well Blom .920 in a loss. I thought it'd be a lot worse for you tonight.

I predicted a 7-2 game.

We got a 4-0 and that's worse. We let that defense shut us out.

If you wanted to stay Crosby you should have taken more money.

2 more games on this road trip. As a pens fan I hate rooting for losses but 2 more losses and maybe Sullivan gets fired. He needs to go coach another team and probably win a cup. But his message and system is stale.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Ideally they fire Sullivan soon, and if the Pens still suck they blow it up at the deadline and then the draft. If Sid and company want out let them go and get picks and prospects. There's no way this is watchable for another 3 years.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You have me convinced.

Add Mario, Gretzky and Coffey and a new coach and all their problems would be solved. Hell, dig up Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr too. The names will win with the right coach.

No need to even have a playoffs. Just hand them the Cup.

I don't care if they fire Sully or keep him. Because it is simply rearranging chairs on the sinking Titanic. Sully is a problem. But far from their biggest. Age and limited talent and no assets to change that is the real issue.

We are Pirates level now. It would feel better to finish outside of the bottom third of the league. But no matter what, the team is going to be a losing one.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How was what I said defending him?

It was more giving up and acceptance of the suck.
This is the part I don't get. Why give up and accept we suck before finding out what this team can do with a different coach first?

This is like owning a car that's 25 years old that's not starting any longer. Maybe try and change the battery first to see if that fixes things before taking the car to the scrap yard?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You have me convinced.

Add Mario, Gretzky and Coffey and a new coach and all their problems would be solved. Hell, dig up Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr too. The names will win with the right coach.

No need to even have a playoffs. Just hand them the Cup.

I don't care if they fire Sully or keep him. Because it is simply rearranging chairs on the sinking Titanic. Sully is a problem. But far from their biggest. Age and limited talent and no assets to change that is the real issue.

We are Pirates level now. It would feel better to finish outside of the bottom third of the league. But no matter what, the team is going to be a losing one.
I agree that there's a real possibility that the Pens waited too long and it no longer matters if they fire Sullivan or not.

Having said that, when a team like the Caps that is in a very similar boat and is still competing it feels f-ing insane to not even see what would happen with a new coach behind the bench. Maybe it's the same with a new coach, but if it is, so what? The Pens are already bad. They have nothing to lose by firing Sullivan.

Their days of being a top tier stanley cup contender are over, but it wouldn't shock me if they could at least compete for a playoff spot with a new coach behind the bench.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan Fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire sullivan Fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan Fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire sullivan Fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan Fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire sullivan Fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan Fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire sullivan Fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan Fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire sullivan Fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan Fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire Sullivan fire sullivan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I agree that there's a real possibility that the Pens waited too long and it no longer matters if they fire Sullivan or not.

Having said that, when a team like the Caps that is in a very similar boat and is still competing it feels f-ing insane to not even see what would happen with a new coach behind the bench. Maybe it's the same with a new coach, but if it is, so what? The Pens are already bad. They have nothing to lose by firing Sullivan.

Their days of being a top tier stanley cup contender are over, but it wouldn't shock me if they could at least compete for a playoff spot with a new coach behind the bench.
I have said before. We owe Crosby and the Core who stayed to try.

So, although I know that what I said above is true, I agree.

And they have banked three Cups so I am not mad at them.

Reactions: Pancakes

Smasher

Jan 25, 2012
Finland
nemecic.bandcamp.com
Will probably take a 10-game losing streak before they even consider firing Sullivan.

This team is bad. With a different coach it could be mediocre. Whatever. It's back to highlights. Not sure why I paid for this shit once again.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
1729924459084.png

It's a sign guys. The kid is sending out an S.O.S.

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012

Lol, brutal.

It’s Johnston level bad now. I’ve been very conservative on Sullivan, but it’s beyond time. If a new coach doesn’t move the needle by the deadline sell anything you can

Sid’s a proud dude and wants to stay with Malkin and Letang…and I get that, but I can’t imagine this is what he wants, and this doesn’t strike me as a team that’s a couple pieces away unless a lot changes. Start with the coach and feel it out for the rest of the season
I don’t think you’d have to wait until the TDL with a new coach, I mean ideally Sullivan gets shit on even more by the Canucks and then fire him before the Wild and Ducks games as they head home. They have 3 days off where they can hire someone like Nelson to take over, have a couple of practices.

Then I would say the clock is ticking on the roster moves, I would give it about 10 games or so before Dubas should get to work to move out players that the new coach hasn’t been able to reverse the Sullivan effect with.

Why wait for more games? This isn’t like they made the playoffs and were out again in the first round and then started slow and the GM saw they needed a change, like it happens with a lot of teams, this is a team that has missed the playoffs for 2 seasons, hasn’t won a round in the playoffs since 2018 and technically couldn’t even win to make the playoffs vs the Habs so really 3 playoff misses total. I think 10 games of being shit is more than enough considering all of that to just say yeah thanks for the 2 cups 8yrs ago, bye.

Yep, if only the response by the front office is the same…
The same front office that likely has to wait for Fenway’s permission to fire Sullivan since its been known for a while that he has their support and a lot of control with the roster?

One can only hope they see how wrong they were to do that and tell Dubas to lay down the hammer and boot his ass.
Gotta wonder what Sullivan thinks the problem is
Oh it’s about as dumb as you think it is with Sullivan…

“Well, it’s concerning because we just aren’t good enough right now,” coach Mike Sullivan said outside of a quiet dressing room. “We didn’t play hard enough. We didn’t play together as a group. We weren’t good enough.”
“We didn’t have the puck enough,” Sullivan said. “We’ve got to hang on to pucks more.”

I mean, they dunked on your ass with 50 shots and didn’t allow them to have a shot for 20mins, yeah you didn’t have the puck enough because your system sucks, Sully.

I hate to even quote that loser, but he had the quote and I have to cite the source.

Glass was suffering from Mycoachisadipshitis.

PS - He has played very poorly and no one will refute that, we all agree on it, but this really sucks for anyone. Especially when you’re struggling with your game and everyone on social media is shitting all over you with a lot of comments that are personal attacks about him as a person rather than his game being bad right now…but yeah.

Last Saturday, two hours before the Penguins left Pittsburgh for this trip, this is what Jarry said: “Obviously, it’s good for me. I get to see my family. Being on the West Coast, you don’t get to see your family very often. Only get to see my parents once or twice a year. It’ll be a nice little reset to see my family and to spend time with them.”

The Penguins sent Jarry back to Pittsburgh one day before playing in Edmonton, where he won the Memorial Cup in 2014, and two days before playing in Vancouver. Sullivan said it was part of the plan to send Jarry back to Pittsburgh halfway through the trip. Perhaps Jarry wasn’t aware of that when he was speaking with the media last Saturday.

Either way, it’s a strange story.

Seems like this was never the plan as Sullivan keeps bullshitting everyone. Also, funny how the biggest twat (Yohe) that called him “unprofessional” is now acting like he gives a shit.

Weird I don’t know why the links posted twice.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Am glad I fell asleep before puckdrop and missed this garbage.

f*** this team. f*** FSG. f*** Kyle Dumbass. And f*** Mike Sullivan

We’re beyond a joke
I honestly feel bad for Dubas, I know a lot here want to hate him for not firing Sullivan, but I mean, it was already well known a month before they hired Dubas that Sullivan had the Hammer with FSG’s full support.

If anything, he’s an idiot for knowing that and still taking the job and then stuck in a role where he doesn’t have the autonomy they claimed he did.

Don’t get me wrong, he should have remained the Dir of Hockey Ops and hired a GM, for him to take that job was idiotic, but I also wonder if everyone else knew the situation and just said no, in the end you gotta be able to see a situation that will f*** you over and avoid it, Kyle is an idiot for running right towards it.

At best, we can hope that he’s making his case right now to FSG that a coaching change is necessary.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I honestly feel bad for Dubas, I know a lot here want to hate him for not firing Sullivan, but I mean, it was already well known a month before they hired Dubas that Sullivan had the Hammer with FSG’s full support.

If anything, he’s an idiot for knowing that and still taking the job and then stuck in a role where he doesn’t have the autonomy they claimed he did.

Don’t get me wrong, he should have remained the Dir of Hockey Ops and hired a GM, for him to take that job was idiotic, but I also wonder if everyone else knew the situation and just said no, in the end you gotta be able to see a situation that will f*** you over and avoid it, Kyle is an idiot for running right towards it.

At best, we can hope that he’s making his case right now to FSG that a coaching change is necessary.

Even if he miraculously grows a pair and says to FSG “fire this f***ing bum”, I doubt they’d listen.

At least not until the $$ stops flowing in.

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Even if he miraculously grows a pair and says to FSG “fire this f***ing bum”, I doubt they’d listen.

At least not until the $$ stops flowing in.
I mean he had the bollocks to go to Shanahan and change the offer to asking for autonomy and money. He was also asking for more autonomy to do his actual job rather than having to go through Shanahan who had veto power, which made sense when he was a rookie GM, but after that no. Ironically he ended up in a similar situation in Pittsburgh but now has an underling hold more power lol, I am sure he isn’t happy about that right now even if he sings Sully’s praises likely part of his contract, haha.

So I think he as it in him, he just needs to f***ing do it.

It’s funny to think about the hate he gets from the Leafs, Shanahan was always the bigger issue but Dubas got all the heat for it. How are they going to be mad at a GM that only did moves that Shanahan approved, anything else he would get vetoed. So unless he had an idea Shanahan liked, it wasn’t going to happen. He was hired to execute Shanny’s vision. I remember some rumour about him wanting to get Hagel from the Hawks and was vetoed, Hagel then was picked up by the Bolts and has put up 155pts in 192 games.

Also…

So I think he has it in him, he just looks like he’s back in a very similar situation, hopefully this time he’s learned to push back harder.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I mean he had the bollocks to go to Shanahan and change the offer to asking for autonomy and money. He was also asking for more autonomy to do his actual job rather than having to go through Shanahan who had veto power, which made sense when he was a rookie GM, but after that no. Ironically he ended up in a similar situation in Pittsburgh but now has an underling hold more power lol, I am sure he isn’t happy about that right now even if he sings Sully’s praises likely part of his contract, haha.

So I think he as it in him, he just needs to f***ing do it.

It’s funny to think about the hate he gets from the Leafs, Shanahan was always the bigger issue but Dubas got all the heat for it. How are they going to be mad at a GM that only did moves that Shanahan approved, anything else he would get vetoed. So unless he had an idea Shanahan liked, it wasn’t going to happen. He was hired to execute Shanny’s vision. I remember some rumour about him wanting to get Hagel from the Hawks and was vetoed, Hagel then was picked up by the Bolts and has put up 155pts in 192 games.

Also…

So I think he has it in him, he just looks like he’s back in a very similar situation, hopefully this time he’s learned to push back harder.

Hopefully you’re right, but I don’t see it. :dunno:

Dubas reminds me of the kid in school that was wedgied and then stuffed into a locker day in day out.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad