PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This is dumb, and you people are mostly just being desperate. Which is fine, but just call it like it is instead of trying to pretend that this is cool and good and totally the same as playing an 82 game season + postseason. :dunno:
I don't think it's the same, I just don't care that it's different. It's still NHL teams needing to beat other NHL teams at hockey. Get out there and win.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I definitely agree with this.

This team is always better when they do not play emotionally.
I think they'll be more consistent. I'm not sure they ALWAYS play better without emotion though. Letang does, but Sid and Geno have definitely had some great performances with a lot of emotion involved. But I'd still take the trade-off as an overall plus for us.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No TRUE Penguin fan would raise concerns about this. Just shut up and enjoy hockey in August, guys.

I'll get that gate for you.
no true hockey fan would be happy with this abomination of a format. Think of the history of Lord Stanley! Asterisk!
TwkD81I.jpg

I think that goes both ways here :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have only expressed my frustration with the league and their decisions. I have said nothing about people being stupid, spoiled or whatever for being fine with it.

Ah well. Was a matter of time before it turned into some asinine "no true Scotsman" argument.
fair enough. I just popped back in so I probably missed a bunch. For me it's just comments like not taking the results seriously or counting as legit wins seem strange. Like, what about the normal results are so serious?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Imagine being swept and not scoring a single goal and missing the playoffs for the first time in over a decade?

JUST IMAGINE IT!!!!!!

At least we will get a better pick in 2020 and give away our 2021 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EightyOne

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I actually kinda like this format. Wouldnt care one bit if it stayed this way forever. Wpuld have to shorten the regulr season.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Oh if Montreal and Chicago somehow win their “play in” tournaments, look out...
[MOD]

Because apparently, no one wants to face "Patrick Kane & Carey Price"...you know, a guy that hasn't been on a worthy deep playoff team in like 4yrs and another guy that has never won a cup in his career and has had an up and down season.

God forbid anyone need to watch out for the likes of the Capitals, StL Blues, or the Penguins.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
[MOD]

Because apparently, no one wants to face "Patrick Kane & Carey Price"...you know, a guy that hasn't been on a worthy deep playoff team in like 4yrs and another guy that has never won a cup in his career and has had an up and down season.

God forbid anyone need to watch out for the likes of the Capitals, StL Blues, or the Penguins.

Edmonton vs. Chicago would be a fun match-up for fans of neither of those two teams. All offense, no defense.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If playoffs are technically when there's 16 teams left, I wonder if teams can get rental players to just make it to the playoffs. Like, trades could still be made but the players would be ineligible for the playoffs.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As different as it will be, it'll also be unique and historic.

That's worth being in the moment for.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If playoffs are technically when there's 16 teams left, I wonder if teams can get rental players to just make it to the playoffs. Like, trades could still be made but the players would be ineligible for the playoffs.

They already can, the TD is a last day for teams to trade for playoff eligible players. Wont be rental players though, would be a full member of the team.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
fair enough. I just popped back in so I probably missed a bunch. For me it's just comments like not taking the results seriously or counting as legit wins seem strange. Like, what about the normal results are so serious?
This seems sort of pointed at me since I made the comment about not taking the results seriously. I didn't mean it in some meat-headed "sports are serious business" kinda way. I just meant that because the format is a little goofy I'll be taking the winner with a grain of salt.

To put a finer point on it, I'll probably be less convinced that whoever wins is actually the best team than in past years. We need look no further than our own team. The Pens are objectively better than Montreal in every way but, hey, anything can happen in a few games. It kinda just calls the validity of all of it into question for me.

All of that said, I'm not over here pouting about it or anything. I will still very much enjoy watching the hockey purely for the entertainment value.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This seems sort of pointed at me since I made the comment about not taking the results seriously. I didn't mean it in some meat-headed "sports are serious business" kinda way. I just meant that because the format is a little goofy I'll be taking the winner with a grain of salt.

To put a finer point on it, I'll probably be less convinced that whoever wins is actually the best team than in past years. We need look no further than our own team. The Pens are objectively better than Montreal in every way but, hey, anything can happen in a few games. It kinda just calls the validity of all of it into question for me.

All of that said, I'm not over here pouting about it or anything. I will still very much enjoy watching the hockey purely for the entertainment value.
I'm rarely convinced that the actual best team wins it. I think luck with player health is a huge factor every year. If anything, I feel like coming back from a rest like this may actually reduce that as a factor.

Wasn't really trying to call anyone out in particular. I'm just not big on worrying about the sanctity of the game or upholding tradition or whatnot. For example, aside from the playoffs being a disaster for us, I actually really liked the shortened lockout season.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad