PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
This is dumb, and you people are mostly just being desperate. Which is fine, but just call it like it is instead of trying to pretend that this is cool and good and totally the same as playing an 82 game season + postseason. :dunno:
It doesn't matter if the season is 70 games or 82 games. It has no impact on the playoffs.

These playoffs are gimmicky but the best option given the circumstances. I have no issue with it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I honestly don’t get the dismay about the format.

The NHL isn’t the NFL, that hasn’t had a work stoppage in over 30 years.

We have had two shortened seasons and lost an entire season in that span. This league has basically told us they don’t give a f*** about the cup or tradition.

A shortened season is a total gimmick as well, and the Devils and Hawks have always had that asterisk next to their names IMHO.

In the end it’s about entertainment anyway, and I’d rather be watching hockey then more coronavirus news.

Reactions: Hamurai

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It doesn't matter if the season is 70 games or 82 games. It has no impact on the playoffs.

These playoffs are gimmicky but the best option given the circumstances. I have no issue with it.

That's cool and good and all, but the main difference between a 70 game and an 82 game season is that they're set at the start.

Just call it what it is, is all I ask. It's a desperate attempt to get some cash for the league, and it's not particularly well thought out.

The other major difference between this season and a lockout season is nobody had the risk of transmitting a major illness to the other team or teammates just because people got bored during a lockout.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's cool and good and all, but the main difference between a 70 game and an 82 game season is that they're set at the start.

Just call it what it is, is all I ask. It's a desperate attempt to get some cash for the league, and it's not particularly well thought out.

The other major difference between this season and a lockout season is nobody had the risk of transmitting a major illness to the other team or teammates just because people got bored during a lockout.

It’s always about money.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a virus or head injuries, etc, the league doesn’t actually care about the players.

The league hasn’t cared about tradition either, over the last 30 years either.

So while I think they should cancel the season, I’m not going to pretend this is a league that cares about it’s players or tradition.

I imagine this also applies to the Zucker trade, so they'll keep their 1st if they lose to Montreal.

Pens may get a nice first round slot if they bungle this.

I also wonder if a guy like Poulin would be added to the black aces, as the Q isn’t going to be playing.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
This is dumb, and you people are mostly just being desperate. Which is fine, but just call it like it is instead of trying to pretend that this is cool and good and totally the same as playing an 82 game season + postseason. :dunno:
this is dumb, and you are being intentionally miserable and looking for the dark side of everything, which is fine, but just call it like it is instead of trying to pretend like you're just too smart to fall for the dastardly trick of a hockey game being played

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
this is dumb, and you are being intentionally miserable and looking for the dark side of everything, which is fine, but just call it like it is instead of trying to pretend like you're just too smart to fall for the dastardly trick of a hockey game being played

That's not what I said, but go off. :dunno:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Question for you guys:

Malkin, Crosby, Letang - fully healthy now?

Guentzel - will he be back?

Murray or Jarry to start game 1, in your opinion?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Question for you guys:

Malkin, Crosby, Letang - fully healthy now?

Guentzel - will he be back?

Murray or Jarry to start game 1, in your opinion?

1) yes until they step on the ice, in which case, with the Pens luck, at least one of them will get injured...
2) yes
3) Murray

Reactions: Al Smith

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
The league has had terrible luck suffering this situation when they did, right when things were being solidified for the playoffs. I can understand an unorthodox solution. Like someone else said, everyone's in the same boat. There are too many factors at work for me to have much opinion. However I take the optimistic approach because this long break only helped the Penguins recover.

The important thing will be whether this team is ready to play, and play better than we last saw.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1) yes until they step on the ice, in which case, with the Pens luck, at least one of them will get injured...
2) yes
3) Murray

Well, the Habs luck is to do just enough to continue to be mediocre.

So looks like we are in for joint misery. Lovely.

Reactions: Andy99

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
yes, yes, and murray because our coach is stubborn and doesn't always play the guy that's earned it.

I really thought it would be Jarry but also thought they might go with Murray because of play-off experience.

I've always liked Jarry, picked him in a mock draft, wanted the Habs to draft him, too. Happy to see he's reaching his potential even if he's getting blocked by your stubborn coach.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I really thought it would be Jarry but also thought they might go with Murray because of play-off experience.

I've always liked Jarry, picked him in a mock draft, wanted the Habs to draft him, too. Happy to see he's reaching his potential even if he's getting blocked by your stubborn coach.

Sullivan isn’t really blocking Jarry.

He gave Jarry the starting gig when Murray struggled. Since Murray found his game, Jarry and he had been rotating essentially.

Murray will likely get the nod because of his experience and the long lay off.

Seems most logical.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

there is also a chance it may take five games fo geno to get sober...so there's that:laugh:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
It looks like this series is set in stone.

I see this as a easy series for the Penguins (unless Murray is really poor).

What I have noticed that in closed door sporting events over the past years (almost exclusively in soccer), the team with the superior talent wins almost every time. In watching some games it almost gives a feel that the home team fans add a bit of pressure on their team. An example of this is the biggest match in Germany being Schalke vs Borussia Dortmund. Dortmund is a vastly better squad the past few years but rarely win vs them at home......last week they played in front of no fans and Dortmund blew them off the field.

I'm expecting to see many one sided series with 4 goal victories as the norm starting with a Penguims romp over the Canadiens.

Your thoughts fellas?

I think anything can happen in the playoffs and you are foolish and uninformed to predict this. The 93 Pens was the best Pens team ever assembled and still has the record for longest win streak and they lost in 7 to a far inferior team.

Given the time off and a 5 game series the Habs could very easily upset us and that goes for any of these 5 game series. Goalies will be very important and if Murray starts off cooled with this big layoff we could be put fast.

I am just glad we have hockey back and I like our chances but also know anything can happen in the playoffs. Tampa last year?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I really haven't been paying attention to anything.

Under what possible reasoning is there to make Montreal, a team that was 10 points out of the wildcard race when play suspended, a playoff team...in a shorter series where they'd have a better chance of pulling an upset?

I understand that there's nothing resembling a good way to do this...but that's just pathetic.

On the other hand, I'm not so sure a bye would be any sort of advantage in this scenario either...bah.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I hate the format, I hate this lame gimmick, and I'd rather see an asterisk put next to whoever wins this season, even if it's us.

I don't see why this gets all these likes? If a team makes it through and wins the Cup it is no different than any other year. For the Pens it will actually be the hardest format they ever faced by adding an extra round. It is hard enough to win 4 series for the Cup and now Pens have to win 5 which lowers the odds. I for one would be just as proud if the Pens pulled it off and won their 6th Cup. No asterisk to me at all and in fact much harder situation. If you want to put an asterisk beside the winner if it was someone like the Habs that won it then maybe you have a point. Even then I would say they deserve it with beating 5 teams to win the Cup. I don't think it is likely a team like that could pull it off but I bet a few upsets will happen in this first best of 5. That won't make the accomplishment of the eventual winner any less impressive.

If the Pens win the Cup I would be just as impressed as any year. So take your asterisk and shove it.

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Someone was going to get hosed in this proposed format (which is no where near set in stone by the way as the NHLPA still has to opine), but sucks that the Pens were that team. 5th in the conference and 7th in the whole league but have to have a play in series with a team 15 points below them in the standings and 1% chance of making the playoffs.

Garbage.

I agree the Pens got hosed with this format. The league should of had a play in round for teams out of the playoffs. No way should the Pens have to play an extra round to win the Cup. If Pens do win the Cup this will go down as the hardest path to the Cup. No team in history has had to win 5 rounds. It sucks but will make it that much more amazing if Pens can pull it off. I could see us out in the 1st round and also winning the Cup. Who knows what to expect after the layoff. The early rounds will be the most unpredictable because of not having several games to be ready to jump into the playoffs.

I am more than a little worried about a 5 game series going in cooled. Still happy for some hockey. Let's Go Pens! 6 Cups to match the 6 Superbowls. One last point is that this is great for hockey because they will have all the attention for all sports fans with not much else to watch. Should be a chance to add many new fans.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
if we don't beat the hab's, we get a very high pick (that's good) or if we win it all (that's good) anything in between (we get hosed):laugh:

Do we keep the pick then and make the Wild take next year's? Can we do that? I thought it was only playoff protected. If your right with your assessment then getting a top ten pick wouldn't be bad. I still rather have the Cup!:nod:

Also giving me some hockey to watch for as long as possible is worth losing the pick this year. It is going to be a lot of fun watching Pens again and now with Guentzel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad