PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
But does anyone think that the teams playing in the “round robin” series to determine the division champs are going to be “all in”? They’re already guaranteed a playoff spot and all they are determining is the seeding.

Meanwhile, everyone else is scratching and clawing just to get into the dance and will be balls to the wall in every game...
both of those variations have good and bad with them. How many teams play as well the first month of the season as they do in the 2nd round of the playoffs? The ones with serious injuries in round 2 of the playoffs. A few bumps and bruises are better than 3 months of rust.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I love the make-up of the Guentzel - Malkin - Rust line and we know it works + they would face second pairings because Sid always draw the tougher match ups. I would not mind Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary, Zucker - Malkin - Rust and that's the most likely scenario. It is not my most desired scenario though, I am not sure how a Sid/Jake/Sheary line would do defensively. We know Zucker would do well in his zone and we know Rust will too. So I prefer going with Zucker - Sid - Sheary, Jake - Geno - Rust.

No way Sheary does not play with Sid, they acquired him for that single purpose. Geno and Rust have to stay together. It is basically a matter of which LW plays where.

You are absolutely right on this one, and your top 6 makes the most sense:

Zucker-Crosby-Sheary
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust

We have seen both these lines play really good hockey this season, which is why it makes the most sense to keep them this way. If we do shuffle the lines, I think Sully’s next move would be to reunite GCS (which has worked in the past) while keeping Rust with Malkin, since they have been great together. This gives an alternate lineup of:

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Zucker-Malkin-Rust

Either way, it is a stacked top 6, something Crosby and Malkin have been missing for a few years.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pens get to play the 12 seed in real playoff games that matter as a warm up while the Flyers play meaningless exhibitions? After everyone is rusty from not playing for months? Yeah, sign me up. Have to beat the Habs but I see this as a major advantage for the 2nd round.

Pens have a bad habit of getting their doors blown off in the first game of the season, back from a break etc. Id rather get that out of the way v the habs than the Flyers.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I don't understand why they can't do 20 teams. Much simpler and fairer to those who just missed out. 7-10 have a play in and the rest have a round robin to warm up.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't understand why they can't do 20 teams. Much simpler and fairer to those who just missed out. 7-10 have a play in and the rest have a round robin to warm up.

I could be wrong, but have to think money was a big factor there. Adding the next 4 teams gives you major markets of Chicago and Montreal. I have to imagine those best of 5 with the Habs and Hawks adds serious dough.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I could be wrong, but have to think money was a big factor there. Adding the next 4 teams gives you major markets of Chicago and Montreal. I have to imagine those best of 5 with the Habs and Hawks adds serious dough.

You’re not wrong and anyone complaining about the format should realize if they don’t do it, it could easily result in the cap plummeting. I’d rather lose a 1st round to Montreal then see what happens to the Pens if the cap goes down by 20 mil.

Reactions: Shady Machine

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
And allegedly that round robin will determine seeding for the top 4 teams in each conference. So playing the Flyers in the true 1st round isn't a guarantee.

so not only are we forced into the play-in round — which won’t be easy and will get us banged up — but we might not even play Philly, the weakest of the teams with a bye? Lovely! How much more can the pens get screwed in this format.

btw even Bruce Cassidy said it should be 16 teams.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
You’re not wrong and anyone complaining about the format should realize if they don’t do it, it could easily result in the cap plummeting. I’d rather lose a 1st round to Montreal then see what happens to the Pens if the cap goes down by 20 mil.

I've complained, but yes I agree. For the good of the game overall, having more teams play when they come back is the right call. Not particularly found of this format, but I get it.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Cap won't go down 20M, escrow will go up... way up!

Cap going down would hurt the owners too much. Losing players and shit.

Escrow mechanism let teams keep their players and owner/player split remain 50/50... and then we will get a strike/lockout.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Please, please, please stomp us if this farce of a proposal goes through.

I don't want to see a situation where this abomination of a team flukes out a win against a deserving play-off team because they find their legs faster.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Why? He's been a reliable #5 Dman all season. He was awful last season but this year he's solid.
It's fine if JS wasn't trash for most of the season as well, because Marino has done yeoman's work babysitting his stupid ass.

Ideally, if all these guys "show up"...

Dumoulin, Letang
Pettersson, Schultz
Johnson, Marino

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
I dunno, I see it as a built in excuse for another early exit—“Gimmick format! Long layoff! Montreal wouldn’t even have been there normally!” There’ll be an asterisk win or lose. At least hockey will be back.

I wonder if PA would be open and the arena available if the Pens made the finals? If so, I’d fully expect them to finally win it all at home...with fans still never seeing them win it at home.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It's great to see hockey talk finally take center stage. I just want the boys to get back and hopefully play as they did prior to Jake getting hurt.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I hope the long layoff helps give us a good run out of Marleau. This team is stacked if he can play the Kunitz role with Malkin and Rust.

Plus for the first time, we may get to watch Sid operate with a fully armed and operational battle station.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
It's fine if JS wasn't trash for most of the season as well, because Marino has done yeoman's work babysitting his stupid ass.

Ideally, if all these guys "show up"...

Dumoulin, Letang
Pettersson, Schultz
Johnson, Marino
Schultz sucks and may end up a healthy scratch in the playoffs.
Pettersson or JJ will be the #4 dman paired with Marino.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is from another poster...

“So, it looks like the 24 team thing is going to be approved. Here are the matchups that will occur for the 5-12th place teams (with top 4 in each conference getting byes).

yost1.png

According to Dan Kingerski, this was hardly a unanimous vote. There were safety concerns, concerns about being quarantined away from family, and some teams that were not happy with the format. Also according to Kingerski, the Penguins were one of the teams that had a very hard NO VOTE on this proposal. They aren't happy about their separation from the top and where they are seeded, as well as not happy that their opponent is someone who was nowhere near making the playoffs under the traditional landscape.

Pittsburgh versus Montreal is the largest regular season point gap in those games, 15 points difference. EDM vs CHI is an 11 point difference. Lot of talk too that, had say, Buffalo in the East and Anaheim in the West been in the positions where Montreal and Chicago currently are, there might not have been as big of push to have 24 teams...the thinking is the NHL wanted to find a way to get those bigger markets involved to increase viewership and interest.“

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is from another poster...

“So, it looks like the 24 team thing is going to be approved. Here are the matchups that will occur for the 5-12th place teams (with top 4 in each conference getting byes).

yost1.png

According to Dan Kingerski, this was hardly a unanimous vote. There were safety concerns, concerns about being quarantined away from family, and some teams that were not happy with the format. Also according to Kingerski, the Penguins were one of the teams that had a very hard NO VOTE on this proposal. They aren't happy about their separation from the top and where they are seeded, as well as not happy that their opponent is someone who was nowhere near making the playoffs under the traditional landscape.

Pittsburgh versus Montreal is the largest regular season point gap in those games, 15 points difference. EDM vs CHI is an 11 point difference. Lot of talk too that, had say, Buffalo in the East and Anaheim in the West been in the positions where Montreal and Chicago currently are, there might not have been as big of push to have 24 teams...the thinking is the NHL wanted to find a way to get those bigger markets involved to increase viewership and interest.“

Who cares? Someone was getting screwed. Maybe the Penguins shouldn’t have f***ing sucked for a month. Let’s be realistic the Pens could have easily fallen out of the playoffs with the amount of H2Hs.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
Habs fan here. How can we help you win? Thanks
Have someone with the virus cough on Price? Don’t want him to get sick or anything, but if it was known he was exposed, he’d have to “social distance”...
(Only JOKING, by the way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad