PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Anyway, it's probably a moot point to debate where Guentzel should play, because it sounds like Sullivan has decided already:

Exclusive: Penguins, Mike Sullivan settle on a center for Jake Guentzel

Sullivan has historically liked duos instead of lines, and he also said that Malkin and Rust are staying together, so I imagine his strategy will be to have Guentzel-Crosby, Malkin-Rust and maybe McCann-Hornqvist and have other players alternate through the rest of the spots.
To be fair, it's always a moot point for us to discuss where people should play. That's never stopped us before :laugh:

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I think it absolutely diminishes the playoffs. It's an asterisk season, no matter who wins.
I don't see how. The entire playoffs are going to be played with teams in playoff positions based on 68-70 games played. There is literally no difference from a regular playoffs after the first round is over.

I see only 3 teams that have no business anywhere near a playoff tourney, Montreal, Phoenix, and Chicago. Outside of that, every wildcard contender is the same exact team (78-80 points).

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the Pens actually could have a relatively easier path to the Cup in this format. Montreal -> Philadelphia -> Columbus. Philly has to wait and sit which hopefully would cause them to lose even more of their momentum.

Columbus isn't beating the Bruins. The Penguins do luck out because Philly is clearly a tier below the Bruins, Caps and Lightning, but they still have to play the Bruins in the 2nd round.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
This is an unprecedented occurrence but solidifies once again why the regular season matters. Spitting and sputtering and allowing Philly to roar into 2nd place has now forced the Pens to play a “crap shoot” series against the Habs while teams like Washington and Philly continue to rest up. Which the physicality of Montreal’s d corps, I see the Pens getting roughed up pretty bad during this series and then have to limp into another physical series IF THEY WIN.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I wonder how the reffing will be. Will they actually call the obstruction? Could be a huge factor.

Who am I kidding, it'll definitely be a huge factor.

Is the jersey tuck issue still a violation? :laugh: That was f***ing stupid.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If the Penguins were to lose this series, they'd have no one to blame but themselves. They are a far superior team to Montreal and despite the hype, Price hasn't done squat in the playoffs except maybe for 2014.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
This is an unprecedented occurrence but solidifies once again why the regular season matters. Spitting and sputtering and allowing Philly to roar into 2nd place has now forced the Pens to play a “crap shoot” series against the Habs while teams like Washington and Philly continue to rest up. Which the physicality of Montreal’s d corps, I see the Pens getting roughed up pretty bad during this series and then have to limp into another physical series IF THEY WIN.

Rest is far from an advantage at this point, quite the opposite. Getting 2 or 3 games in will help us more than it will kill us... well... unless injuries occurs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think the Pens actually could have a relatively easier path to the Cup in this format. Montreal -> Philadelphia -> Columbus. Philly has to wait and sit which hopefully would cause them to lose even more of their momentum.

philly won’t be sitting...the plan is for the teams with byes to play a round robin so there won’t be an advantage for the teams playing the play-in games...

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
philly won’t be sitting...the plan is for the teams with byes to play a round robin so there won’t be an advantage for the teams playing the play-in games...

And allegedly that round robin will determine seeding for the top 4 teams in each conference. So playing the Flyers in the true 1st round isn't a guarantee.

Reactions: Andy99

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I wonder how the reffing will be. Will they actually call the obstruction? Could be a huge factor.

Who am I kidding, it'll definitely be a huge factor.

Is the jersey tuck issue still a violation? :laugh: That was f***ing stupid.
I assumed with social distancing that it was a no-touch game now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Really? That's even gimmickier and stupdier that I thought it was.

Jesus f***ing Christ, just go with point percentages and a regular playoff...
At least it makes those games matter. If the idea is for those teams to get back in to the game while the bottom teams play for playoff spots, then making them mean something has plenty of value.

I'm more interested in them playing good and entertaining hockey than being fair or maintaining the value of the regular season.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
At least it makes those games matter. If the idea is for those teams to get back in to the game while the bottom teams play for playoff spots, then making them mean something has plenty of value.

I'm more interested in them playing good and entertaining hockey than being fair or maintaining the value of the regular season.

I mostly agree with this. Yes, it is "gimmicky," but there's no solution here that is perfect. That said, no way in hell should the NHL do this in a normal season.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mostly agree with this. Yes, it is "gimmicky," but there's no solution here that is perfect. That said, no way in hell should the NHL do this in a normal season.
yeah for sure. But under the circumstances I am fine with something like this. Unless we lose to the Habs, then it was the dumbest bs ever :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
This is not going to be an "easy series", even with the Habs being a mediocre team. A rested Carey Price has the potential to absolutely steal a series. The Penguins may dominate the series, but still lose due to goaltending (both on their side and Montreal's side).
As opposed to a rested Crosby from his sports hernia? A rested Brian Dumoulin from his injury? A rested Jake Guentzel? A rested Evgeni Malkin? Ideally who would we be missing? Dom f***ing Simon? Lol, maybe that moron Bjugstad? Hardly an issue given we'd have Jake Guentzel back.

We're talking about Carey Price vs the game changers on the Pens. In a best of 3 or even 5, I like our chances. Carey Price will likely steal a game. But not all the games. Pens losing to the Habs would be enough for me to really want a coaching change because to lose to that group would be some Bylsma level shit.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Rest is far from an advantage at this point, quite the opposite. Getting 2 or 3 games in will help us more than it will kill us... well... unless injuries occurs.
I understand that line of thinking, I do, but hockey is a different animal from other sports. A 7 or even 5 game series can be very rough and tumble and have the winner limp into the next series.

But then you throw in this format and you have teams essentially getting a bye while their eventual opponent is getting the shit beat out of them. So if the Pens win and make it to round 2, they will be facing a team that is fresh. Maybe not firing on all cylinders, but fresh. Now that team physically beats up on an already beat up team in the first couple games and that could be enough to break them...

Like it or not the Pens are a small, diminutive team that really isn’t built for grinding, grueling playoff series’. They caught lightning in a bottle in 2016 and 2017 but that model isn’t the normal one for success in t he playoffs. Big, physical teams with solid defense and goaltending have been the recipe for success, both before the Pens’ back to back run and since then. Running the gauntlet through Montreal, Washington/Philly, Boston, and then having to face a team like the Blues or Avs it something looks pretty daunting at this point. This format just makes it even harder.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Oh, and, btw, I think I prefer playing the first round to having a bye.

Shake off the rust. Rest won't be a factor in this format. Everyone is rested. Who gets rolling faster is what will matter. Getting a few games in before playing the Caps Flyers could be a big advantage.
And the emotions vs the Habs would be a good start I think.

I am more so excited to see the guys that were coming back from injuries/surgeries etc and how they would do right now. I have no doubts when they get rolling, they'll be fine. Line-up talk is now interesting at least. I do not like splitting Jake from Geno and Rust though, in a situation like this, you want to go with what was hot right off the bat and stick with it and keep Zucker with Sid.

But the idea of Letang, Dumoulin, and even Marino getting some rest before this and maybe Justin Schultz not being ass, is just too enticing.

Sheary, Crosby, Zucker
Guentzel, Malkin, Rust
Marleau, McCann, Hornqvist
Aston-Reese, Blueger, Tanev

The only thing that is also a reality again is that we have to f***ing see Jack Johnson play again.

Reactions: TheTang58

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
And the emotions vs the Habs would be a good start I think.

I am more so excited to see the guys that were coming back from injuries/surgeries etc and how they would do right now. I have no doubts when they get rolling, they'll be fine. Line-up talk is now interesting at least. I do not like splitting Jake from Geno and Rust though, in a situation like this, you want to go with what was hot right off the bat and stick with it and keep Zucker with Sid.

But the idea of Letang, Dumoulin, and even Marino getting some rest before this and maybe Justin Schultz not being ass, is just too enticing.

Sheary, Crosby, Zucker
Guentzel, Malkin, Rust
Marleau, McCann, Hornqvist
Aston-Reese, Blueger, Tanev

The only thing that is also a reality again is that we have to f***ing see Jack Johnson play again.
Why? He's been a reliable #5 Dman all season. He was awful last season but this year he's solid.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
But does anyone think that the teams playing in the “round robin” series to determine the division champs are going to be “all in”? They’re already guaranteed a playoff spot and all they are determining is the seeding.

Meanwhile, everyone else is scratching and clawing just to get into the dance and will be balls to the wall in every game...

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Canadiens are a very bad team. It may be a good opponent to help prepare for the Flyers.

Although this is basically a brand new season due to the 3 month layoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad