PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The guy who just said Tanev is barely a third liner is talking about hyperbole?

Funny as hell.

Tell me what’s hyperbole... the fact Sheary has two goals in his last 34 playoff games as a Pen?

Or did you want to tell me how he’s strong on his skates and handles the puck well?

Have fun with that.

I didn’t tell you anything about Sheary. I said Tanev was awful for twenty games then you resorted to bringing up Sheary because he isn’t a player you like and you like Tanev.

Tanev is a 25 ES pt player. Contenders don’t have that on their third line regardless of their “intangibles”. They sure as hell don’t have that on their first or second line. And yes, Sheary should not be on our top line or with Malkin with a healthy roster I agree. Sheary also was pretty awful in the majority of the playoffs here. Which is why he was often scratched or dropped to the fourth line which was more what I was referring to since you went to the tried and true “he falls down” and “Sully plays him in the top six because his niece LOL” retorts.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
McCann goes cold for long stretches. I have no idea how you can say ''he's been great as the 3C''. We need more consistency out of him offensively.

As far as Bjugstad sitting, I seriously doubt that happens. Whether it should or not might be a different matter. But I doubt Sully doesn't have him in the line up.

No question Horny should play RW.
McCann went cold when he was flipped back and forth from w to c. As c he was fine and doing well in that slot.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I didn’t tell you anything about Sheary. I said Tanev was awful for twenty games then you resorted to bringing up Sheary because he isn’t a player you like and you like Tanev.

Tanev is a 25 ES pt player. Contenders don’t have that on their third line regardless of their “intangibles”. They sure as hell don’t have that on their first or second line. And yes, Sheary should not be on our top line or with Malkin with a healthy roster I agree.

Tanev has double the playoff goals in a little over half the games as Sheary got in his last 34... and guess what line Tanev was on when he was on the Jets... but you are the one saying lame shit like he’s barely a third liner.

Pretending like Sheary is a better option is comical as hell. A guy with 2 goals in his last 34 playoff games is what contenders have on their first line?

Cool story bro.

Oh wait I forgot you made an ass of yourself about the Tanev deal... nm it’s all adding up now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Tanev has double the playoff goals in a little over half the games as Sheary got in his last 34... and guess what line Tanev was on when he was on the Jets... but you are the one saying lame shit like he’s barely a third liner.

Pretending like Sheary is a better option is comical as hell. A guy with 2 goals in his last 34 playoff games is what contenders have on their first line?

Cool story bro.

Oh wait I forgot you made an ass of yourself about the Tanev deal... nm it’s all adding up now.

You’re still making an argument, I did not make about Sheary being on our first line.

Maurice and Sullivan had the same insistence on running a flawed line IMO in TLC and BART. I’d argue Maurice’s insistence on running TLC over Hayes in 18-19 is similar to what we are seeing with the McCann line here.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You’re still making an argument, I did not make about Sheary being on our first line.

Maurice and Sullivan had the same insistence on running a flawed line IMO in TLC and BART. I’d argue Maurice’s insistence on running TLC over Hayes in 18-19 is similar to what we are seeing with the McCann line here.

I responded to the Yohe lineup that had Sheary with Crosby, then explained why Sheary was a bad choice and none of the other guys were any better options than Tanev.

So no clue what you are talking about.

You tried to claim that Sheary being a playoff zero (2 goals in his last 34) and falling all over the ice/mishandling the puck, was hyperbole.

I’m still waiting for your explanation.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I responded to the Yohe lineup that had Sheary with Crosby, then explained why Sheary was a bad choice and none of the other guys were any better options than Tanev.

So no clue what you are talking about.

You tried to claim that Sheary being a playoff zero (2 goals in his last 34) and falling all over the ice/mishandling the puck, was hyperbole.

I’m still waiting for your explanation.

That was targeted at the falling over and Sullivan forcing him on the top line comment. Which are both hyperbole. Sheary played little with Crosby or Malkin in his last playoffs here and the falling comments are just stupid.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That was targeted at the falling over and Sullivan forcing him on the top line comment. Which are both hyperbole. Sheary player little with Crosby or Malkin in his last playoffs here and the falling comments are just stupid.

Sullivan has forced him on the top line and it failed over and over again after his initial success his first year.

No clue what you remember, but pretending it never happened doesn’t make it true.

And if you think he doesn’t fall over almost every shift, I suggest checking out his number again, because you are watching the wrong guy.

It’s a rare occasion where he doesn’t fall down on a shift or spaz out with the puck.

It’s become a running joke with Sabre fans as well, because it’s straight up true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Khelandros

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Do we even have any idea of the Pens' healthy roster at this point? Simon's definitely out to repair his shoulder, Jake's back, but I've totally lost track of the other injured / healing Pens.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Well, sure... but he has not been that bad this year and if he is limited to 3rd pairing and the PK, he could actually be useful.

So... yeah.

Brb, gonna go wash my eyes and fingers with acid.

You misunderstand me. I just didn't want to read any more debates on him, that's all. :laugh: JJ's fine. They're all fine, f*** it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
McCann went cold when he was flipped back and forth from w to c. As c he was fine and doing well in that slot.
I think he played very well with and without the puck when he was playing with Kahun. I thought those two were a nice tandem. When Kahun got injured, then subsequently traded McCann was nearly invisible. I'm not saying that's the only reason his production dried up. But it certainly contributed to it IMO.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, McCann ain’t a winger and the sooner the staff realizes that the sooner we can move on with our lives.
Well he was surprised himself when he arrived and was moved to wing. But it was also to be with Sid so he didn't really get mad at that.
I think he played very well with and without the puck when he was playing with Kahun. I thought those two were a nice tandem. When Kahun got injured, then subsequently traded McCann was nearly invisible. I'm not saying that's the only reason his production dried up. But it certainly contributed to it IMO.
But to touch on the topic that he is "invisible" at C. No, at W he was often going through dry spells. At C, he's been a driver on both sides of the puck and utilizes his wingers very well. He is a center and he has been solid as one. Just like Geno and Sid needing a Jake type, McCann also needs a winger to compliment his game, which is why Marleau would be a good fit.

McCann did well with Simon and Kahun, he also seemed to be fine with Hornqvist. So it's clear he needs that playmaker on his line-up, he also shoots "randomly from anyhwere" less when he's a C and is a little more methodical and thinks before he does things, whereas a winger, he gets stale really quickly when he's with Sid.

A very good portion of his points came as a C.

Jared McCann 2019-20 Scoring Log | Hockey-Reference.com

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Well he was surprised himself when he arrived and was moved to wing. But it was also to be with Sid so he didn't really get mad at that.

But to touch on the topic that he is "invisible" at C. No, at W he was often going through dry spells. At C, he's been a driver on both sides of the puck and utilizes his wingers very well. He is a center and he has been solid as one. Just like Geno and Sid needing a Jake type, McCann also needs a winger to compliment his game, which is why Marleau would be a good fit.

McCann did well with Simon and Kahun, he also seemed to be fine with Hornqvist. So it's clear he needs that playmaker on his line-up, he also shoots "randomly from anyhwere" less when he's a C and is a little more methodical and thinks before he does things, whereas a winger, he gets stale really quickly when he's with Sid.

I thought Galchenyuk - McCann - Hornqvist was a good line. I think Kahun - McCann - Hornqvist was a good line. I think Simon - McCann - Hornqvist was a good line. Given Sheary and Hornqvist's chemistry, I see no reason why Sheary - McCann - Hornqvist wouldn't be.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I thought Galchenyuk - McCann - Hornqvist was a good line. I think Kahun - McCann - Hornqvist was a good line. I think Simon - McCann - Hornqvist was a good line. Given Sheary and Hornqvist's chemistry, I see no reason why Sheary - McCann - Hornqvist wouldn't be.
Yup, exactly. I think McCann as the 3c is perfect, I have wanted him there all season, he just fits the line-up better there. Without Simon and Kahun traded away, I think Sheary-McCann-Hornqvist also works because it gives Sullivan that boner to double shift Crosby into that old line of his too in place of McCann in some games.

Not sure what it says about Marleau in the line-up.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I'm not debating as to whether he should play center or wing. I'm ok with him as a pivot. All I'm suggesting is that wherever he plays he needs to produce. 3C seems to make the most sense. But he needs to score with more consistency..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad