PENS vs Montreal Canadiens Round 1 (Best Of Five)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Yohe said on the Athletic that he can guarantee the lines will be:

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

I would agree this is going to be the lines especially when you figure Sully already said Jake is with Sid and Sheary seems to have been brought back to be with Sid. I think the only guy who could get in over someone is Bjugs but I don’t see who?

what does the PP look like?

Jake Sid Rust
Tang Geno?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’m not a huge fan of ZAR, but Bleuger and more ao Tanev’s games completely fell off when he was pulled off that line.

Now, I don’t know if that is because of ZAR or the fact they were mostly playing with AHL talent, but when Rodrigues showed up it still didn’t improve despite Rodrigues being really good there.

That line ran its course long before ZAR got hurt.

Sullivan’s major weakness as a coach is he insists on going back to the same well over and over again.

There is no reason a guy like Tanev got such limited minutes with Crosby and Malkin this season. Sullivan married Tanev with TB and ZAR, but it was and will remain a silly idea to hold to.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would agree this is going to be the lines especially when you figure Sully already said Jake is with Sid and Sheary seems to have been brought back to be with Sid. I think the only guy who could get in over someone is Bjugs but I don’t see who?

what does the PP look like?

Jake Sid Rust
Tang Geno?

You’d have to think Horny is on PP1...probably Rust is going to PP2

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That line ran its course long before ZAR got hurt.

Sullivan’s major weakness as a coach is he insists on going back to the same well over and over again.

There is no reason a guy like Tanev got such limited minutes with Crosby and Malkin this season. Sullivan married Tanev with TB and ZAR, but it was and will remain a silly idea to hold to.

I think the reason a guy like Tanev got limited minutes with Sid and Malkin is the same reason Asham did. He is barely a top nine forward let alone someone that should be on the top two lines.

Tanev was awful for the last 20.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think the reason a guy like Tanev got limited minutes with Sid and Malkin is the same reason Asham did. He is barely a top nine forward let alone someone that should be on the top two lines.

Nah.

Last dozen games he wasn’t playing well, but for most of the season he was one of their best fwds.

Saying he’s barely a top nine fwd is nonsense.

Tanev playing with Malkin or Crosby is a bad idea, yet a guy like Sheary who has less points with better line mates and opportunity, somehow makes more sense?

Reactions: Khelandros and BHD

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I think the team was just running out of gas with all the injuries forcing players into larger roles. Tanev's style is going to cause a lot of wear and tear in particular.

I'd expect him to be back to early season form if/when the season resumes.

The more I think about it, I don't give a f*** about the playoff format. We are one of the teams who benefit greatly from this layoff. Sid gets to reset after coming back from injury. Depth players go back to their proper roles. Jake comes back.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I’m not a huge fan of ZAR, but Bleuger and more ao Tanev’s games completely fell off when he was pulled off that line.

Now, I don’t know if that is because of ZAR or the fact they were mostly playing with AHL talent, but when Rodrigues showed up it still didn’t improve despite Rodrigues being really good there.

I don't like ZAR either but I noticed the same thing. I think ZAR is really defensive smart but just ok at hockey. He seems to be doing the right things in the back so TB and Tanev can push the pace. I think ZAR is better defensively than Tanev. For Tanev to be productive he has to be going full speed all the time. I think ZAR allows him to take some more risk.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Nah.

Last dozen games he wasn’t playing well, but for most of the season he was one of their best fwds.

Tanev playing with Malkin or Crosby is a bad idea, yet a guy like Sheary who has less points with better line mates and opportunity, somehow makes more sense?

Tanev seems like a Kunitz light. He isn't the smartest but plays fast and hits a lot. To be most effective he needs line mates who can cover for him. That allows him to go balls to the wall even if it gets him out of position. He seemed to be playing more passive at seasons end. His best defensive trait is being aggressive.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I love Tanev's motor and I don't think he's a total spazz or anything but I see him as too much of a drag on a scoring line. He just doesn't have enough in his toolbox to keep up, IMO.

I have almost no use for Sheary but what ability he does have is tailored almost completely towards being a very lightweight top six option. Along with Crosby knowing how to get the most of of what he can do. So it CAN work. I'm not at all convinced that's the case with Tanev.

I know there was a lot of bad shit going on with the team near the end of the "season" but I felt a ton of shine came off of Tanev, as well. At least by my estimation.

Honestly it's hard not to think completely past that dumbass contract so I admit maybe my opinion is colored a bit by that. I really loved what he did the first half or more of the year... mostly as a bottom six player, though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Nah.

Sheary scored at a .5PPG rate since coming over this year. Tanev scored at a .36 PPG rate.

I understand they are different players, but I see no reason why we wouldn't run Tanev as the lynchpin on our fourth line. I'd be fine if they ran a Tanev - McCann / Teddy - Hornqvist line as our 3rd, but nothing Tanev has done has proven he should be on the top line.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Tanev seems like a Kunitz light. He isn't the smartest but plays fast and hits a lot. To be most effective he needs line mates who can cover for him. That allows him to go balls to the wall even if it gets him out of position. He seemed to be playing more passive at seasons end. His best defensive trait is being aggressive.

Tanev has a lot of traits Malkin and Crosby like in their linemates... speed, hitting, can handle the puck well, plays a sound defensive game and dishes the puck pretty well.

After Guentzel, Rust and Zucker, it’s a mash of wingers that aren’t any better than Tanev.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sheary scored at a .5PPG rate since coming over this year. Tanev scored at a .36 PPG rate.

I understand they are different players, but I see no reason why we wouldn't run Tanev as the lynchpin on our fourth line. I'd be fine if they ran a Tanev - McCann / Teddy - Hornqvist line as our 3rd, but nothing Tanev has done has proven he should be on the top line.

Tanev didn’t get to rack up points playing with Crosby like Sheary did... cmon now.

Sheary gets knocked around the boards like a piñata still and forces Crosby to work harder... he’s still a total spaz that can’t stay on his feet and loses the puck for no reason...

Let’s not forget Sheary was a total zero in the playoffs his last couple seasons as a Pen.

Sheary worked with Crosby for a couple playoff rounds and since then it’s been a disaster that Sullivan can’t let go of.

Reactions: Khelandros

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Tanev has a lot of traits Malkin and Crosby like in their linemates... speed, hitting, can handle the puck well, plays a sound defensive game and dishes the puck pretty well.

After Guentzel, Rust and Zucker, it’s a mash of wingers that aren’t any better than Tanev.

I think Horny is better and would be in the top 6 on any other team. The only reason he isn't is because he can't play with Crosby.

Guentzel - Crosby - Horny
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - McCann - Sheary
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

Thats the best lineup they could ice I believe.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think Horny is better and would be in the top 6 on any other team. The only reason he isn't is because he can't play with Crosby.

Zucker - Malkin - Rust
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

Rust is glued to Malkin’s RW and Hornqvist can’t play LW... and as we all know Crosby doesn’t really want him on his wing... so he’s basically a third liner.

That basically leaves guys like Sheary and McCann as the only legit options... and I don’t see how they are better than Tanev.

One guy is in a major slump and plays with horse blinders... the other is a total spaz that hasn’t proven to be effective with Crosby beyond a couple series four years ago.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
So, who's the odd man out (specifically at forward) when Sullivan makes a change to the lineup?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So, who's the odd man out (specifically at forward) when Sullivan makes a change to the lineup?

well who’s he replacing them with if he makes a change? It better not be Bjugstad...if there’s a forward I don’t want to see playing on the Pens again, I’d pick him over Sheary and ZAR as much as I hate the sight of them...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Tanev didn’t get to rack up points playing with Crosby like Sheary did... cmon now.

Sheary gets knocked around the boards like a piñata still and forces Crosby to work harder... he’s still a total spaz that can’t stay on his feet and loses the puck for no reason...

Let’s not forget Sheary was a total zero in the playoffs his last couple seasons as a Pen.

Sheary worked with Crosby for a couple playoff rounds and since then it’s been a disaster that Sullivan can’t let go of.

Talk about hyperbole.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Talk about hyperbole.

The guy who just said Tanev is barely a third liner is talking about hyperbole?

Funny as hell.

Tell me what’s hyperbole... the fact Sheary has two goals in his last 34 playoff games as a Pen?

Or did you want to tell me how he’s strong on his skates and handles the puck well?

Have fun with that.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Zucker - Malkin - Rust
ZAR - Teddy - Tanev

I love the top six. I might switch Jake with Jason but yeah that looks formidable. I'm good with the 4th line.

Line three concerns me an awful lot. McCann and Sheary are very erratic when it comes to production. When they go cold they're useless. And I'm not sure just how effective Sheary will be away from Sid anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad