GDT: | Pens vs Hawks | Nov 20th 1900hrs EST | Win it for Geno!

Geno is:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
83b534551558eee76663481ddb7596dd.gif

GAME PREVIEW

Pittsburgh concludes its three-game road trip with a visit to Chicago to take on the Blackhawks at the United Center. Last season, Pittsburgh went 1-0-1 against Chicago. Jeff Carter (2G-1A) and Jake Guentzel (3A) led the team in scoring with three points apiece in those games. The Penguins enter tonight's game with points in three-straight games versus the Blackhawks (2-0-1). A win tonight would give them their first four-game point streak against the club since Mar. 30, 2014-Jan. 5, 2016 (1-0-3). Pittsburgh is looking to snap an eight-game winless streak (0-5-3) in Chicago that dates back to Feb. 20, 2011.

QUICK HITS

Sidney Crosby's 18 even-strength points are tied for second in the NHL, and are just four back of Erik Karlsson (22) for the most in the league.

Evgeni Malkin has points in six-straight road games (2G-6A) and has been held off the scoresheet just twice in 12 road games this season.

Bryan Rust has five goals and seven points (5G-2A) in seven games versus Chicago, which includes his second career hat trick on December 12, 2018 in Chicago. He enters tonight's game with a four-game point streak versus them (4G-2A).

Jake Guentzel leads the league this season in empty-net goals with four. Since the beginning of the 2021-22 campaign, Guentzel is tied with Alex Ovechkin for the most empty netters with 10.

Rickard Rakell has been on the ice for 23 even-strength goals for. Only San Jose's Erik Karlsson (31) and Boston's Hampus Lindholm (26) have been on the ice for more this season.

MA1KIN

Tonight, Evgeni Malkin is set to become the 373rd player in NHL history to appear in 1,000 regular-season games. Malkin, who has spent his entire 999-game career with the Penguins, will become the 32nd active player to reach 1,000 games, and the 65th player all-time to play their first 1,000 games with one team. Malkin, who has recorded at least a point in 71% of (714/999) of his games played, has the 15th most points in NHL history through his first 1,000 games. The Russian-born center is also one of just eight players from his native country to appear in 1,000 NHL games. He and fellow countryman, Alex Ovechkin, are the only active Russians to accomplish this feat.​

bingo-geno.gif

penguinbreaks4thwall.gif

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
On the one hand, we should beat the Blackhawks. We're better on paper. While this is a back-to-back, Chicago actually played last night, and is the first team that we've faced on the second half of a back-to-back to have done so this season. Not only that, but both teams had to travel after their games - the Blackhawks played in Boston at the same time as we played in Winnipeg, so we might have actually been in Chicago before they were. Also, it's Geno's 1000th game, and we're generally good at winning milestone games.

On the other hand, the Blackhawks got blown out by Boston and so might want to gain back a measure of pride by trying really hard to beat us tonight. Plus, Sidney Crosby has never won a game in Chicago.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Why was the post-game thread locked?

Anyway, hard to predict which Penguins team will show up - the one that plays hard or the one which looks completely lost. Probably one of those will show up for a portion of the game and the other for the rest. If the goalie can hold the fort and we are fired for Geno's 1000, we might just beat Chicago for a change.
Or we might allow an early goal, Sullisma will panic and put Rust will Crosby and play Carter for 20 minutes. You never know. :)

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Why was the post-game thread locked?

Anyway, hard to predict which Penguins team will show up - the one that plays hard or the one which looks completely lost. Probably one of those will show up for a portion of the game and the other for the rest. If the goalie can hold the fort and we are fired for Geno's 1000, we might just beat Chicago for a change.
Or we might allow an early goal, Sullisma will panic and put Rust will Crosby and play Carter for 20 minutes. You never know. :)
Previous PGT usually gets locked day of the text game, which is today.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't get why everyone some posters are so angry that geno and his line don't get minutes poured onto them....

If they were slammed with minutes and geno got hurt or couldn't keep up you'd all be blaming sulli
If the rest of the team can't help contribute in offensive or defensive ways... whats the point.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
A little premature if you ask me.
if you want to reply to a post @ that poster, cntrl-c their post, cntrl-v post into reply, and that'll do it.

--------------
World Cup starts today... lucky it's only one game so I can watch penguins and footy...
My money is on france. (winning wc)

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I don't get why everyone some posters are so angry that geno and his line don't get minutes poured onto them....

If they were slammed with minutes and geno got hurt or couldn't keep up you'd all be blaming sulli
If the rest of the team can't help contribute in offensive or defensive ways... whats the point.
Because watching the Penguins trying to hold a one goal lead with Carter and Dumo on the ice is really bad for my health.
And Zucker and Malkin have been our best forwards this season, you would think they would deserve some chance for empty net points, like at 2-0 with 18 seconds to go.
Not a big deal, of course, unless it gives Sully the idea that GCR is back on track.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
if you want to reply to a post @ that poster, cntrl-c their post, cntrl-v post into reply, and that'll do it.

--------------
World Cup starts today... lucky it's only one game so I can watch penguins and footy...
My money is on france. (winning wc)
France? That's bold. Brazil more likely, to me.

Anyway. Screw Chicago.

Reactions: LOGiK

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Last night was more an anomaly anyway. Malkin is averaging 18:10. That's perfect. Honestly, I'd like to get Sid down around there, too. Might be more feasible now that Blueger is back and the 4th line is seeming more like an asset than a piece of boiled chicken breast.

Letang is the one really out of whack, though. I know he's used to it, but I think 24min is too much. Rutta and POJ have both shown they are more than capable of providing solid minutes. Ease up on Letang.

Reactions: Andy99 and LOGiK

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
But then there are posts about a specific game bleeding into the next GDT or the Salary Cap thread or whatever. And then if that person or someone else repsonds, there's a full blown off topic conversation happening.

Just my $0.02, though.

Because watching the Penguins trying to hold a one goal lead with Carter and Dumo on the ice is really bad for my health.
And Zucker and Malkin have been our best forwards this season, you would think they would deserve some chance for empty net points, like at 2-0 with 18 seconds to go.
Not a big deal, of course, unless it gives Sully the idea that GCR is back on track.
I just hope that Malkin (and to a lesser extent Zucker and Rakell) doesn't resent Sullivan for not giving him the EN opportunities. Because if I was him, I would.

Reactions: Andy99 and LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
But then there are posts about a specific game bleeding into the next GDT or the Salary Cap thread or whatever. And then if that person or someone else repsonds, there's a full blown off topic conversation happening.

Just my $0.02, though.
Yes, but it's a b2b and the second game is yet to start.
But yeah... I see both sides.

I think Geno's being used just fine. Just win it tonight. The Sullivan mustache thing will be f***ing stupid though.
Yep.
Consistency is nice and he's handling his minutes perfectly.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We never beat Chicago no matter who is playing for them lol… Remember that 7-1 home loss followed by the 10-1 loss lol….I think it’s about time, as a sign of respect for Geno and his 1,000 game, that Kane and Toews allow Geno to score a couple times and hand us a win…it’s only fair, plus they get a better shot at Bedard…win win

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
If Crosby has a good game, he might well be nominated for NHL player of the week which would be pretty funny considering his week started with that calamitous game against the Leafs. :)

Reactions: Trade

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sully said it best. Sometimes you need on of the 1 goal games to bring out better D, puck management and defensive positioning. Pens look healthy which is always an very underrated issue. Beat the hawks and play a smart disciplined game and get needed points. Pens then have 8 home games out of the next 10. So they can make some hay with playing well and responsibly and at home.

Reactions: Giskard

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

I don't think that there is any anger about Geno's minutes. I think we are all happy to see his minutes limited. What I and others were pointing was that now that Geno is killing it ou there offensively and defensively, Sully does not trust to put him in for the last 4 minutes in a tight game may cause some natural WTF response from Geno ansd Zucker, He puts in L1 and L3 that are leaking chances getting hammered in our zone, whle he does not trust to the guys that f***ing carry them through this hard stretch...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Just my $0.02, though.

I just hope that Malkin (and to a lesser extent Zucker and Rakell) doesn't resent Sullivan for not giving him the EN opportunities. Because if I was him, I would.
He should not but its in human nature, however I have not seen Geno this hungry in several years, Jake has been awful for now long stretch yet somehow he is trusted in atight game to defend the lead, if that makes sense than f*** my judgment

We never beat Chicago no matter who is playing for them lol… Remember that 7-1 home loss followed by the 10-1 loss lol….I think it’s about time, as a sign of respect for Geno and his 1,000 game, that Kane and Toews allow Geno to score a couple times and hand us a win…it’s only fair, plus they get a better shot at Bedard…win win
this shapes to be an upside down season, so who knows?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

That is LOGIK

Reactions: LOGiK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad