LW Cole Eiserman - USNTDP U18 (2024 draft)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Less time evaluating the box score, more time evaluating the process.

Goals can be ugly or pretty, but the shooting and scoring process really matters for determining scalability.

It really really matters when it's more or less the only thing a prospect has going for him.
Meanwhile he’s on pace to break the goal scoring record…

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
i didnt want ottaawa to touch him due to scouts having him falling this year but after watching him today i wouldnt be upset if we took him. probs my 3rd choice i want at our pick now.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought he had one of the worst games I've ever seen for scoring a hat trick. Completely detrimental to his team. Bad shots to kill extended zone shifts. Inaccurate passes to his line-mates. Tunnel vision and not keeping the puck moving to the open man. A lot of hero ball. Lazy defensive play.

But he also scored three. He's not that bad every game either. He has his weaknesses, but he's also a player who scores three goals and you're asking why he didn't play that well. There's a limit to the criticism. At a certain point, the goals matter more than everything else.

Reactions: Patty Ice

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
I’m far from Eiserman fan club, but I don’t accept a tons of criticism about him. 14-15 and lower OA is pretty absurd.
As one wise man said, if I were a one-trick pony from hockey I’d rather be a goal scorer. Especially considering Eiserman is not a weird skater, his hockey IQ more better than some twitter-scouts think.

Teams which already have a young playmaking C have a chance to make a huge offensive duo for decade. Especially with big two-way horse on the other side.

Cmon guys, in the era of advanced stats fever, some people forget about final goal of hockey game: you should score more goals than your opponent. Don’t make it complicated

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Being one of the youngest prospects in the draft could mean that he does learn other aspects to the game while in the NCAA. At this point I would be a little disappointed if we picked him at five, but his goal scoring can make me overlook some of the shortcomings to his game

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I’m far from Eiserman fan club, but I don’t accept a tons of criticism about him. 14-15 and lower OA is pretty absurd.
As one wise man said, if I were a one-trick pony from hockey I’d rather be a goal scorer. Especially considering Eiserman is not a weird skater, his hockey IQ more bet than some twitter-scouts think.

Teams which already have a young playmaking C have a chance to make a huge offensive duo for decade. Especially with big two-way horse on the other side.

Cmon guys, in the era of advanced stats fever, some people forget about final goal of hockey game: you should score more goals than your opponent. Don’t make it complicated
i am not denying what your saying is wrong...the questions i have if i was drafting around 6 or 7 and you have the best shooter in the draft still available but you think will his IQ and over complication of the game translate...his compete level is spotty as well, then on the other hand you have a guys like Catton, Iginla, Connolly or Lindstrom available who all have good IQ, work hard on the ice have more intangibles to build around....to me Eiserman never got a whole lot better from start to finish where a guy like Iginla, Lindstrom and Connolly sored up the rankings and Catton got better as well as possibly being one of the smartest players who is a future captain type material. So personally i can see Eiserman falling....but everything is going to depend on the teams that are up. I know when i was scouting the one thing we looked for and never strayed from was IQ and Eiserman does not know how to avoid troubled zones out there and 2nd was compete and Eiserman is 50/50 on that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
i am not denying what your saying is wrong...the questions i have if i was drafting around 6 or 7 and you have the best shooter in the draft still available but you think will his IQ and over complication of the game translate...his compete level is spotty as well, then on the other hand you have a guys like Catton, Iginla, Connolly or Lindstrom available who all have good IQ, work hard on the ice have more intangibles to build around....to me Eiserman never got a whole lot better from start to finish where a guy like Iginla, Lindstrom and Connolly sored up the rankings and Catton got better as well as possibly being one of the smartest players who is a future captain type material. So personally i can see Eiserman falling....but everything is going to depend on the teams that are up. I know when i was scouting the one thing we looked for and never strayed from was IQ and Eiserman does not know how to avoid troubled zones out there and 2nd was compete and Eiserman is 50/50 on that.
I think all of those players you named as alternatives except Catton actually do have questions on their hockey sense. Eiserman probably also does, to be fair to the point you’re making.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
For all of the scrutiny and hand-wringing Eiserman continues to put the puck in the net. Doing that right now at the u18s. He's not a "sure thing" I suppose (few are) but you can count on that goal scoring and I believe it will translate to the NHL level. Considering how weak this draft is, I still think he goes high to a team that needs scorers.
I'd be happy if my Blue Jackets took him high. That's the type of team that really needs him.

I also thought it was funny when Craig Button mentioned on the first broadcast of the tourney something like "We criticize these players who are elite scorers for not having the best all around game, why don't we start saying to the 200-foot players why don't you become a better goal scorer." Lol

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'd be happy if my Blue Jackets took him high. That's the type of team that really needs him.

I also thought it was funny when Craig Button mentioned on the first broadcast of the tourney something like "We criticize these players who are elite scorers for not having the best all around game, why don't we start saying to the 200-foot players why don't you become a better goal scorer." Lol
That's the best thing Button has ever said!

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

I hope and would be happy if Blue Jackets took him high too. I believe many fans of other teams would be happy too.

Reactions: majormajor and NTDP

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
If he falls to New Jersey, Fitz should grab him without question and not trade the pick.
Fitz has good Holtz example on his table. In the same time he has Nico, Jack, Jesper, Timo and Dawson - players who can score 25-30 or more. He doesn't need to draft for pure scoring. And he should have a brain and experience to not draft a player with bad compete level and below average iq.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If I had to guess one pick where Eiserman will get picked, it would be #17 to the Washington Capitals.

I don't get it. The Jackets have gobs of shooting talent, they need players with high hockey sense and playdriving ability.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
While TSN and HF will make a big deal about Eiserman breaking Caufield's USNTDP goal scoring record, scouts don't care about goal scoring numbers at the junior level, they care about projection.

If they project Eiserman as an elite goal scorer at the NHL level then he'll go high in the draft, but I doubt they will for a variety of reasons.

His game has kind of stagnated and his numbers haven't improved from last year. Scouts love a sharp upward development curve, as it tends to carry forward into future years.

It's also worth noting that most of the goal scoring leaders in the NHL are dual-threats and were considered playmakers at lower levels. The track record for pure snipers over the years has been pretty bad.

It's harder to score goals at the highest level of hockey if you are a one-trick pony and goalies know you're shooting the puck when you get it. Need to be a threat to set up teammates to be an elite level goalscorer, and Eiserman hasn't shown the ability to do that at the junior level.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
why don't we start saying to the 200-foot players why don't you become a better goal scorer." Lol
Aka players that go super late in the draft and are considered to have a 4th line ceiling and make league minimum if they make the NHL?

Take Jalen Luypen, fantastic defensive forward, was seen as the best defensive forward in the WHL, was only a 7th round pick and I think a longshot to make the NHL because the only goals he scores in the AHL are empty net goals. There's no "gotcha" for "hey why don't we criticize that player for not scoring goals?" He's criticized by virtue of the fact that if you're reading this, that's probably the first time you've ever heard of that player.

..but I get Button's point. Being a goal scorer with a bad well-rounded game is seen as being almost like a character defect, like anyone could play at an elite level with suitable defense/board work if they just "cared", and that goal scorers get seen as inherently selfish when it's often just the way that they most help a team win the same way the fourth line grinder does what they do best to help the team win.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
If I had to guess one pick where Eiserman will get picked, it would be #17 to the Washington Capitals.

I don't get it. The Jackets have gobs of shooting talent, they need players with high hockey sense and playdriving ability.
LOL he won't drop to #17. Dude just stop, you said the same crap about Michkov last year and claimed Will Smith "doesn't care about hockey." Jackets have some guys that can score, and those three russians with Fantilli can drive play. We don't have a scorer like Eiserman on our team if he pans out to be just that in the NHL. This team can absolutely use more goal scoring badly.

Last edited:

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
I can't remember the last time a top 10 pick was picked about so mercilessly. Does he have some maturing to do? Absolutely. So does every other kid in their draft year.

Scores a hat trick oh but he sucks at xyz

Continues to produce goal after goal every game all season long oh but he sucks at xyz

He's a bigger cole caufield in my mind. I don't respect any list that has this kid outside the top 10. You are drafting this kid to score goals not win a selke.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yeah I think anyone would be happy to draft Cole Caufield (205 GP, 81 goals, 68 assists, 149 points, 0.73 PPG, just turned 23 this year) with a Top 10 pick, especially since this draft isn't that deep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad