Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The Sullivan of today also wouldn't have played two unproven rookies in Sheary and Rust in the top six like he did in 2016.
Definitely. After the second cup, he basically leaned heavily on veterans and acted like he forgot what got him the shot in the arm in the playoffs and kept forcing Hagelin and Kessel on Malkin to work and save his ass.

Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Sheary, Rust, Guentzel, Archibald, etc were there and then after that he never really gave any youth a fair shot and that's been 8yrs now..

It's weird to say he played youth for a season and a half as his biggest defense when 99% of the rest of his tenure he barely wanted to use youth.

Colorado bound. ;) or Tampa to play next to his pal Jake.
I think it'd be hilarious if he didn't re-sign. He then f***ed over Letang and Malkin and bounced because he can't f***ing admit the coaching needs changing and pouted at the loss of Jake as his deciding factor.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Also imagine if Sid didn't want to re-sign and so the Penguins figure ok they need to trade him because why even bother starting the season with him if he doesn't want to re-sign?

Retain 40% and send him to Colorado for an insane package - Crosby 40% retained + Pickering for 1st '26, Rangers 2nd, Conditional 1st for '27 if he re-signs, Ross and Ritchie.

Something dumb like that.

Then if Letang is unhappy, send his ass to Montreal for the Xhekaj brothers and the Penguins 2nd returning and the Habs 3rd. I go full on move all these wankers out. Send out Pettersson next and keep the other veterans (except Acciari, Nieto, Eller).

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
They probably have something already done with Crosby's contract and they're just waiting for the final details and signature when he returns from his Montana mountain cottage and personal ice rink or whatever it is he was doing before the all-star game.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
They probably have something already done with Crosby's contract and they're just waiting for the final details and signature when he returns from his Montana mountain cottage and personal ice rink or whatever it is he was doing before the all-star game.
I’ve thought maybe the hold up is term. Maybe he’s taking his time to determine whether he wants to sign a two, three or four year deal.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
In the past when JR was shopping Letang, the media would put out articles floating the idea of moving on from him. If there was even the faintest chance of Sid leaving, there would have been several articles about how Sid deserves to compete and move on.

You cant just drop news this massive on normie fans. Need to ease them into the idea.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I’ve thought maybe the hold up is term. Maybe he’s taking his time to determine whether he wants to sign a two, three or four year deal.
I think his goal was to play until 40 or something like that but I can see the issue being does he play until Letang retires or does he play until Malkin retires. One is a few extra years and the other is just another year.

I personally think if he re-signs he's matching the term of Letang's deal for 8.7m/yr (26.1m total) and they can structure that however they want, massive bonus etc or whatever that doesn't circumvent. Total value wise it's still very lucrative given his age, currently the last 3yrs he's been making 3m/yr in actual salary.

I think then, it depends on how well Malkin holds up and the support he gets and maybe he stays on 1yr at a time until he's finally just done. I'd be fine with that. I have no desire to see Geno play for any other team personally. It'd be great if Sid also did the matching 6.1m/yr average like Geno and Letang did and afford the team more cap space but then it's a waste given the space would be for dipshit Sullivan to squander harder.

Last edited:
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
In the past when JR was shopping Letang, the media would put out articles floating the idea of moving on from him. If there was even the faintest chance of Sid leaving, there would have been several articles about how Sid deserves to compete and move on.

You cant just drop news this massive on normie fans. Need to ease them into the idea.
Sid would never get that sort of news, they will defend him tooth and nail on every single thing possible but will happily throw Letang and Malkin (especially Malkin) under the bus for some of the most idiotic things and even just flat out baseless rumors. So if Sid wanted out, they wouldn't say anything other than "He deserves to win even if it's not with us!" or some shit, meanwhile the others would be just "We need to dump them, they're not good, maybe San Jose" essentially saying "they can go f***ing rot for all we care because we are nose deep in Sid's ass."

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

There is very little rational reason that Crosby would sign outside of loyalty with this team.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
There is very little rational reason that Crosby would sign outside of loyalty with this team.
I think the loyalty stuff is kind of dumb personally. If you get to a certain age and you've done literally all you've set out to do for a franchise, being selfish to go play elsewhere is fine by me if it's the players choice to.

If Sid figures he wants to go, fine. The only dick move is getting the other two to stay with this lore of us 3 fo lyfe.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't think loyalty is the reason that Sid would sign, or at least not the primary one. It's part of it for sure, but I think ultimately there's two bigger reasons that he wants to stay a Penguin despite the slide the team is on:

1) He cares about his legacy and he wants to be seen as guys like Mario and Yzerman who were one team players. I think Sid cares deeply about that and doesn't want to go somewhere else. He would rather be seen as a one team guy with 3 cups than a two team guy with 4 cups I think.

2) He's a creature of habit. He's spent his entire career in Pittsburgh and everything there is familiar for him and exactly how he wants it. If he went elsewhere he'd have to learn a new arena, new habits, new players, new systems. I don't think he wants that at this point in his career.

With three cups under his belt and two smythes I honestly think he'd rather stay even knowing he might never make the playoffs again before he retires. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my belief.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don't think loyalty is the reason that Sid would sign, or at least not the primary one. It's part of it for sure, but I think ultimately there's two bigger reasons that he wants to stay a Penguin despite the slide the team is on:

1) He cares about his legacy and he wants to be seen as guys like Mario and Yzerman who were one team players. I think Sid cares deeply about that and doesn't want to go somewhere else. He would rather be seen as a one team guy with 3 cups than a two team guy with 4 cups I think.

2) He's a creature of habit. He's spent his entire career in Pittsburgh and everything there is familiar for him and exactly how he wants it. If he went elsewhere he'd have to learn a new arena, new habits, new players, new systems. I don't think he wants that at this point in his career.

With three cups under his belt and two smythes I honestly think he'd rather stay even knowing he might never make the playoffs again before he retires. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my belief.
Agree with this all with one addition -- he's so stubborn that he thinks there is at least a chance everything comes together for one last run with Letang and Malkin.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think it's a bit of all of the above. He wants to be a one team guy, his legacy with the team's important to him (loyalty and all that), he is a creature of habit to a psychotic degree, and he probably genuinely believes this team and coach still have it in 'em to challenge for a Cup. No player gets to the level of Sid's career without a borderline delusional at times confidence/cockiness/arrogance with regard to never being out of it.

Reactions: Pancakes

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Crosby didn't re-sign?????????

panda-flip-desk.gif

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I'd love to know who bought Harkins jacket?

Jansen Harkins sold out jacket
Hey...if it was cheap enough, I'd buy it. I mean, a jacket is a jacket...lol :). I have an old shiny Theodore Habs jersey that I bought for $5 off a clearance rack.

To add to Sully's collection....
1723124365044.png

Do they still do deals with options? So he gets 2 years, and an option to extend a 3rd and then a 4th?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I'm really not particularly worried about Sid not intending to re-sign. There have been zero reports from anyone credible saying anything other than "Sid is going to re-sign before his contract expires, there is no chance he goes anywhere." One would imagine there would be at least SOME media sensationalism - particularly from Canadian outlets - if someone even perceived a whiff of discontentment from Crosby's camp.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm really not particularly worried about Sid not intending to re-sign. There have been zero reports from anyone credible saying anything other than "Sid is going to re-sign before his contract expires, there is no chance he goes anywhere." One would imagine there would be at least SOME media sensationalism - particularly from Canadian outlets - if someone even perceived a whiff of discontentment from Crosby's camp.

I mean Crosby’s own agent said a lot early in the summer. I’ll trust him over the dumb and dumber that represent our media.

Friedman said he expected it July 1.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sid's probably just weighing how much longer he wants to play after the next Olympics, if at all. /shrug

I know he's said he wants to play for several more years or past 40 or whatever, but I think the reality's setting in by now that this team's dead in the water and only gonna get worse until the rebuild begins in earnest. For a guy with all the money in the world and a top-5 career all time, you gotta wonder if he really wants to keep getting the shit kicked out of him for 7-8 months a year for zero shot at a Cup, hell, maybe even playoffs anymore.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sid's probably just weighing how much longer he wants to play after the next Olympics, if at all. /shrug

I know he's said he wants to play for several more years or past 40 or whatever, but I think the reality's setting in by now that this team's dead in the water and only gonna get worse until the rebuild begins in earnest. For a guy with all the money in the world and a top-5 career all time, you gotta wonder if he really wants to keep getting the shit kicked out of him for 7-8 months a year for zero shot at a Cup, hell, maybe even playoffs anymore.
I think what makes guys like Crosby special is the fact that, it does not matter to him what he's done in the past, he's always focused on what he could be doing in the future.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
The visible discontent Crosby showed was after the Guentzel trade was concerning. Sure maybe he got over it professional as he stopped pouting after a few games, but maybe not. Right now that may the only dark background aura preventing him from signing a new contract.

We also don't know what kind of conversations Dubas has had with Crosby, aside from the obvious rebuild, but the details matter.

I wouldn't be surprised that he wait until later in the season to make a decision. The only carrot Dubas would be the remaining cap space and using it to find a winger IF he signs.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Also imagine if Sid didn't want to re-sign and so the Penguins figure ok they need to trade him because why even bother starting the season with him if he doesn't want to re-sign?

Retain 40% and send him to Colorado for an insane package - Crosby 40% retained + Pickering for 1st '26, Rangers 2nd, Conditional 1st for '27 if he re-signs, Ross and Ritchie.

Something dumb like that.

Then if Letang is unhappy, send his ass to Montreal for the Xhekaj brothers and the Penguins 2nd returning and the Habs 3rd. I go full on move all these wankers out. Send out Pettersson next and keep the other veterans (except Acciari, Nieto, Eller).

I think if Crosby Gets traded Letang and Malkin would get traded as well.

I have mentioned some sort of Crosby trade where

Crosby 50% to Colorado for a 1st + Ritchie.
Crosby signs 3 or 4 years at 8.7. With the Max on every way to make it great.

Malkin and Letang at deadline/offseason

Karlsson retained at 50% at offseason.
Petterson traded at deadline.

Are team would be upside down But this would kick start the horrible years to come.

Pickering plays in the NHL next year.
Hire a vet LD/RD high dollar low year amount to eat minutes

Yager Poulin Pono all play in the NHL next year.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I think if Crosby Gets traded Letang and Malkin would get traded as well.

I have mentioned some sort of Crosby trade where

Crosby 50% to Colorado for a 1st + Ritchie.
Crosby signs 3 or 4 years at 8.7. With the Max on every way to make it great.

Malkin and Letang at deadline/offseason

Karlsson retained at 50% at offseason.
Petterson traded at deadline.

Are team would be upside down But this would kick start the horrible years to come.

Pickering plays in the NHL next year.
Hire a vet LD/RD high dollar low year amount to eat minutes

Yager Poulin Pono all play in the NHL next year.
I wouldn't mind any of that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad