Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If it doesn’t happen tomorrow there’s a good chance it doesn’t happen ever. The only reason it wouldn’t be done July 1 is Sid being superstitious and since he’s going away from 8.7 per year wanting to sign it on 8/7. Which is crazy, but plausible given his weirdness.

It’s not like they have tense negotiations. It’s name your price and as long as it’s not incredibly ridiculous, sign here. Unless Sid isn’t on board with a rebuild which silence tomorrow would make me lean that way.
Has nothing to do with them being tense…maybe all the parties know it will get signed and they’re on vacation…there’s no rush is more like it if it doesn’t happen tomorrow

Reactions: Tom Hanks

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Has nothing to do with them being tense…maybe all the parties know it will get signed and they’re on vacation…there’s no rush is more like it if it doesn’t happen tomorrow

I think it's fair to wonder what exactly is going on once "Crosby Day" passes.

Especially considering dude is penciled in to start next year flanked by DOC and Rust while the FO is taking pages out of the Arizona Coyotes playbook.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think it's fair to wonder what exactly is going on once "Crosby Day" passes.

Especially considering dude is penciled in to start next year flanked by DOC and Rust while the FO is taking pages out of the Arizona Coyotes playbook.
Idk, I’m not worried about it…I won’t be worried until the season starts and he’s unsigned…then I’ll start wondering lol…at this point, Sid will be upstaged tomorrow anyway by Aiyuk lol

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Idk, I’m not worried about it…I won’t be worried until the season starts and he’s unsigned…then I’ll start wondering lol

Oh I never said I was worried. I don't give a pale, sunbaked turd about this team if they aren't even gonna try. If Crosby wants to go play in CO or whatever who could blame him?

Reactions: Andy99

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Lol

Cool, sid walks in FA next year giving us no assets

Geno says f*** it too, skips his last year to go to RUS giving us no assets and dead money

And we're stuck trying to get Letang to MTL for a 3rd round pick and some sort of dead money coming back

This is gonna go well

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Save percentage isn’t everything. In the playoffs you need your goalie to make big saves when your team needs them. Like 09 against the Caps I don’t really care what MAFs save percentage was. It was a high scoring series and he made a huge momentum swinging save a minute into game 7.

Now check him out 30 seconds into game 7 against Montreal

Great defense by the penguins in game #7 against Montreal.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I fully blame Cooke not being available for being a dumbass, in 2011. People forget that Cooke was a very effective player when he wasn't being an idiot. Dude was a great forechecker and had a strong hockey IQ. I have no doubt that if Cooke plays that series, the Pens move on and potentially get Sid back.
Shero at that time should have realized that while Cooke had his upside, he'd already cost them a lot with stupid plays and after the Cup, they should have moved on from him to find a more suitable replacement that had that checking game in him as well as the edge but didn't cross it. A lot of those rosters, Shero did Bylsma no favors and then Bylsma had his farts with using 4th liners in weird roles or just misusing youth. It's nice to see him change that aspect of his mentality as a coach, but now we're stuck with an even harder headed wanker that does that and has been for longer in Sullivan.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Sometimes you run into a hot goalie and the Pens got Halak'd that year. Believe he stonewalled the Caps in the previous round, no?

I won't fault the Pens that playoffs, they just came off back to back Final appearances.
Similarly, I won't fault the Pens for losing to the Caps in 2018 either, even though I believe they could have won that round.
Exactly, to me that Habs series the team was gassed. They didn't have the experience on going the distance and making the playoffs consistently, they had been bounced from the Sens in 5 after missing the playoffs for years before, then went to the finals on a magical run and lost, then won again the next year, the wear and tear on the team was evident, players were playing through lingering injuries that didn't need surgery but were nagging them, for Fleury in those 3 seasons before the playoffs began in 2010, he was playing an average of 70 games per season, he was going to hit a wall hard.

Defensively the Pens weren't that bad in that series, some brain farts, but that can be chalked up to more mental mistakes than anything, but the offence basically said no mas and Fleury was flubbing routine saves here and there and it piled up because if you're barely scoring 2.50 goals per game and allowing

Pens scored 18 goals vs the Habs that series.
Habs scored 19 goals vs the Penguins that series.

Habs beat them by scoring 2.7 goals per game to the Penguins 2.5. Some like to act like it was worse than it was, but honestly given how the stars basically went impotent in that series, there was some serious exhaustion and Shero needed to inject some youth into that line-up. When you're relying on Poni, Feds, Guerin in his last year, etc as a big part of your top 6, that isn't going to help. Poni was decent in his time after the deadline and even had 5pts in 11 playoff games, but of those 5, only 1 was a goal. He was a super safe add vs getting a more offensive winger.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
i said do well, not necessarily lead the league. If the Pens rank somewhere in the middle of the power play ranks they likely make the playoffs.

The Pens have the firepower to be around 10-16 in the power play rankings, they don’t have to be the Oilers.
Last season it didn't matter if they scored on the powerplay or not. They were allowing far too many goals vs scoring goals. If you're better defensively and you're using that powerplay advantage to score, fine, that will help you win games by just logic of more goals vs allowing less goals. But the Penguins defense issues were already mounting for years, Sullivan's system is pure shit and now they have his clone helping him in that area and his defense was pure shit for the other 2 teams he coached, so the Penguins can score on the powerplay, but if they are still allowing more goals against than they score, it doesn't mean shit.

If they convert at 20%, cool, nice stat. But if they're allowing almost 4 goals against per game, you're expecting them to do some real 80's shit here and score at a 5+ goals per game to win games which is not sustainable unless you're living off video games as your reality.

Arizona converted at 22% and ranked 15th, they didn't make the playoffs.
New Jersey had a powerplay ranked 13th, didn't make it either.

The Jets were ranked 22nd on the powerplay, not great at all and they were playoff bound.

This weird take to lay it all on the PP% being ass just doesn't fly. Why do the better teams convert at the powerplay? I don't know, because they're f***ing better teams being coached better and have players being utilized better.

Florida ranked 11th out of 16 playoff teams for the powerplay and won the Cup. Edmonton had the 2nd best powerplay in the playoffs.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If Sid is seriously considering not re-signing I wouldn't blame him, but if the rumors are to be believed there's no worry about that.

Then again said rumors that I've heard come from the likes of Rossi, Yohe, etc sooo take that for what it's worth.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Five pages overnight?

@Gurglesons @AuroraBorealis can yall argue in a circle about rebuilding again, or have we made peace?

Sullivan is still the best coach in the league.

@Honour Over Glory

1722997668161.gif

Reactions: BusinessGoose

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I think we probably lose to Detroit if we swap Maf for Osgood. Maf was legitimately great in games 6 and 7 vs the Wings and I don't know that Osgood could have done the same.

But I think if you swap Maf for the other team's goalie in any of those other series the Pens probably still win.
The Penguins team defense was legitimately great in games 6 and 7

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Five pages overnight?

@Gurglesons @AuroraBorealis can yall argue in a circle about rebuilding again, or have we made peace?
This team could re-tool this roster and still be a decent team but that involves the obvious of firing Sullivan and K12 Kyle making some quick moves for some players that should have been moved this summer.

Like Pettersson, Eller, Acciari, Nieto, and Rust.

I don't mind keeping Bunting and Rakell as I think they're very good buffer's for the top 6, Rakell with Sid and throwing DOC would be the better balance, Rust would fetch a very good return, Eller should have been moved last TDL, Nieto and Acciari for literally future considerations would be incredible at this point and Pettersson is not someone I extend and I don't think Dubas will to be honest, it doesn't make any sense to.

It's fine to keep some older players and mix in more youth. Hayes moving to wing for example on the 3rd line is fine with 2 younger players, the 4th line being maybe 1 veteran at most with a younger set of players is also better to roll through.

A new coach could fix some of the other issues just by not deploying the absolutely asinine system Sullivan thinks is bullet proof.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
This team could re-tool this roster and still be a decent team but that involves the obvious of firing Sullivan and K12 Kyle making some quick moves for some players that should have been moved this summer.

Like Pettersson, Eller, Acciari, Nieto, and Rust.

I don't mind keeping Bunting and Rakell as I think they're very good buffer's for the top 6, Rakell with Sid and throwing DOC would be the better balance, Rust would fetch a very good return, Eller should have been moved last TDL, Nieto and Acciari for literally future considerations would be incredible at this point and Pettersson is not someone I extend and I don't think Dubas will to be honest, it doesn't make any sense to.

It's fine to keep some older players and mix in more youth. Hayes moving to wing for example on the 3rd line is fine with 2 younger players, the 4th line being maybe 1 veteran at most with a younger set of players is also better to roll through.

A new coach could fix some of the other issues just by not deploying the absolutely asinine system Sullivan thinks is bullet proof.
1723007760482.jpeg

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Will Crosby sign the extension today?
I'm looking forward to the outrage either way.

"I can't believe that idiot Dubas (signed/did not sign) Sid! He's still the best player on the team! (With/without) they have not no shot at (first overall pick/making the playoffs)! But I guess this is really Mike Sullivan's fault because Sid (hates change/hates Sullivan)."

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad