Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Its kind of funny looking back on the Guentzel trade thread on the Canes board. At worst, Canes fans thought the trade was fair with many thinking they gave up too much for a rental. Then you take a look on here and you'd think that Dubas traded away Guentzel for a 3rd or something.

Easy to manipulate your own narrative when you ignore posts.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pettersson extension update………. it’s not been discussed.

Not extending Pettersson right now is 100% the correct decision. You see where you are at in January/February. If they are out of the playoff hunt, you sell him for a first. And, yes, I believe he would easily return a first or a second+quality prospect. Watching FA recently, I believe there are "good enough" replacements if we need to dip our toes in. Or, you can look to a team to take their dman cap dump back.

Couple of examples (just spit balling here):
NYR: K'Andre Miller - not living up to expectations. Likely toping out as a 2nd/3rd pairing tweener.
Seattle: Justin Schultz
Toronto: Liljegren
LA: Gavrikov.

Most of these guys have two years left, so you'd likely be looking at something like Gavrikov+Kaliyev+1st for Pettersson @ 50% + Poulin or something (someone who is an add-in).

I did like this part too:

• The Clark hire is part of Fenway and Dubas' overall increased development to both development and scouting. Those staffs keep growing.

• An example of that: The Penguins' Russian scout Alexander Khavanov -- who was hired in July 2021 and around for the Sergei Murashov and Mikhail Ilyin picks -- left the organization last summer to take a scouting position with the Russian National Team. Dubas had increased responsibilities of the scouts when he took over, and Khavanov didn't like it and stepped down. He was quickly replaced by Leonid Vaysfeld, a former longtime KHL general manager with multiple clubs who also worked as an NHL amateur scout from 1990-03 with the Maple Leafs and Rangers. Vaysfeld had been working as a KHL analyst for Russian TV when he was hired by the Penguins. The Penguins then also hired a second Russian scout in Evgeni Bogdanovich, who worked as a scout with the Thrashers/Jets from 1999-2023, including directing the Jets' European scouting for the last 11 years. One guy leaves, they bring in two more with impressive resumes.
It's really great to see legitimate commitment to scouting and player development.

Last edited:
Reactions: domaug

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
This isn't baseless at all, it's very much steeped in reality. star players even ancient ones like we have can make life extremely uncomfortable for a coach if they want. They do the absolute opposite!

What it is is you don't want to blame the core for anything that's wrong. Keep in mind this team has won nothing since 2018. That's a long time ago now and what are the constants since then? Same coach, same core that's aging out. A marriage made in futility! This core most certainly has a lot to do with this team not turning the page or being stale.
more so, a coach that thinks his core can still play like they are 26. imo

Reactions: Ulf5

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Petts likes playing here. This org never has the balls to trade guys that actually want to be here.

Dubas already won't trade Rust because "he respects him too much" or some such nonsense.

StIvany4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
From what's left on the UFA pile, wouldn't hate taking a flyer on Yamamoto

Turning undersized wingers into productive tweeners has been the org's bread and butter for a while

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Source: the way he handled his off-season, with illegal negotiations added in

I mean... he's never going to come right out and say "f*** you guys I'm out" or whatever. I'm sure he'll always have nice memories etc. But it was pretty obvious he wanted to chase the bag and Pittsburgh made it quite clear that wasn't going to be the case, here.

One of the few things they've gotten right in like 7ish years.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not true:

"My intention was to stay. They thought there was a better direction."

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pitts...guentzel-wanted-extension-pittsburgh-penguins

Yeah, but if we signed Jake to 9 million think about all the 2nd round picks we would’ve missed out on.

Something tells me he's not going to be averaging like 40ish games a season in NY.
1720813047535.png

You mean like this?

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I’m so sick and tired of people propagating the lie that it was Jake making things hard. It was absolutely Dubas. He pretty much admitted it in the press conference.

Now was that a good or bad decision is up to discussion.
Why didn't he negotiate in season?

Reactions: Gurglesons

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Not true:

"My intention was to stay (for at least 9M dollars). They thought there was a better direction (because they correctly didn't want to pay me 9M dollars)."

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/pitts...guentzel-wanted-extension-pittsburgh-penguins

I fixed that.

Look... If the Penguins would have been eager to roll a giant wheelbarrow of cash up to Jake along with a blank contract and told him "just fill that in however you like" -- of course he would stay. But that's not reasonable in this team's current state and both sides understood that I think, reading between the lines. And I have to assume that understanding between the team, Jake and his agent was come to fairly early in the process.

We're both assuming things here, admittedly. But all the writing on the wall seems to show that Jake was intending to move on most of last season. And the Penguins turning over the keys to the vault to make him change his mind would have been monumentally stupid so they were at an impasse.

Besides... look where we ended up. This team has opened itself up to be a trashheap for the rest of the league. Jake on this team would have made no sense. The team has made it clear that there are no more big swings coming... expect mostly just Coyotes stuff. Got a horrible player that you can package a second rounder with... because if so the Penguins are your team. Bemoaning the loss of Jake at this point is kinda silly/pointless TBH. Lean into the suck, Doodle.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I might understand getting a pick for next year’s draft if you thought this one was weak but getting picks for three years out just says you got rolled to me.

I guess, but does it really make that much of a difference? It’s not like we’re talking about a first rounder here, and I doubt the Rags are going to be bad enough that the second becomes almost a 1st.

And that 4th! Who cares when a fourth is? :laugh:
If you plan to bottom out, it is beneficial to push out when you get a bunch of draft picks. Otherwise you may have young talented players develop too soon, preventing you from being one of the worst teams in the league and denying you the chance to get a top 3 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad