Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It's possible if sid decides he's done too
I think it’s very likely regardless of what Sid does…but he may play out his last year if Sid convinces him, that’s more likely than the two of them arranging their retirement together imo

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I think it’s very likely regardless of what Sid does…but he may play out his last year if Sid convinces him, that’s more likely than the two of them arranging their retirement together imo
I say it's like 71% likely he hangs em up if Sid continues to play, 100% if Sid doesn't

Reactions: Andy99

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I would be highly surprised if Sid retires after this season. Unlike Malkin, he doesn't seem to be in the midst of any kind of precipitous physical decline. On top of that, as far as I know, all of the media chatter so far this off-season has indicated Sid will sign an extension at some point; no one has reported anything to the contrary.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Malkin will finish his contract. After that it's anyone's guess. If we look like we have a chance to compete I would guess he signs a one year. Otherwise he jets.

Reactions: Factorial

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
After Malkin made a big shit about getting that 4th year when he was signing his last deal, I'd be pretty pissed off if he retires after 3 years of his deal and leaves the Penguins with that 4th year of dead money.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think it's more likely Malkin extends here then it is he doesn't finish out his contract.
Yeah I don't see him leaving that money on the table.

Maybe he'd just LTIR himself in his final year if his play has deteriorated to where he doesn't even want to play any more and/or if he's just dealing with a major injury or two. But that's the only way I see that happening.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
After Malkin made a big shit about getting that 4th year when he was signing his last deal, I'd be pretty pissed off if he retires after 3 years of his deal and leaves the Penguins with that 4th year of dead money.
His salary is only $1M so I doubt the Pens would be stuck with his cap hit. The contract was designed so he could LTIRetire and/or the Pens could sell his cap hit to a team looking to get to the salary cap floor or make space thru LTIR

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
His salary is only $1M so I doubt the Pens would be stuck with his cap hit. The contract was designed so he could LTIRetire and/or the Pens could sell his cap hit to a team looking to get to the salary cap floor or make space thru LTIR

The Penguins would likely have to be paying to get out of his cap hit, and it will be pretty damn difficult to justify putting him on LTIR when he'll be playing professionally in the KHL.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
D0i76Ct.gif

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Penguins would likely have to be paying to get out of his cap hit, and it will be pretty damn difficult to justify putting him on LTIR when he'll be playing professionally in the KHL.
I don’t think so. Chicago didn’t have to pay Tampa to take Seabrook’s contract. Tampa paid them a second and Tyler Johnson..

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t think so. Chicago didn’t have to pay Tampa to take Seabrook’s contract. Tampa paid them a second and Tyler Johnson..

Chicago took back Tyler Johnson's awful contract and Seabrook's deal was able to be put on LTIR.

Any team trading for Malkin is just taking on $6.1 million in dead cap. The last time that was the case, it cost a team their 1st to get out of the deal (Marleau in Toronto).

If Malkin retires, it's going to be so that he can go play for a year in the KHL for his hometown team. Because Malkin's deal is a 35+ deal, there is simply no way for the Penguins (or any other team) to get out of his cap hit if/when he does that. So either the Penguins are eating that $6.1 million in dead cap space or they're paying someone else to do that.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I mean, couldn't Geno and the team agree to cancel his contract? Yeah he would leave money on the table, but he's also not playing, and i assume would get that back from whatever KHL contract he makes?

If he's choosing to leave and retire from NHL then they should be able to work something out so it's not on the books.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I don't see him leaving that money on the table.

Maybe he'd just LTIR himself in his final year if his play has deteriorated to where he doesn't even want to play any more and/or if he's just dealing with a major injury or two. But that's the only way I see that happening.

Malkin only has $1 million in salary owed for 2025-2026, he has a $3.8 million signing bonus that's paid on July 1st. If he retires after July 1st, I'm pretty sure he keeps all of that money.

I mean, couldn't Geno and the team agree to cancel his contract? Yeah he would leave money on the table, but he's also not playing, and i assume would get that back from whatever KHL contract he makes?

They could but they'd still be on the hook for his cap hit. A mutual termination means they wouldn't have to pay him any money he's owed on his deal but they wouldn't be able to get out of his cap hit.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Cap gonna be like 105-110 if we can’t live with a single year of 6M or whatever while terrible and rebuilding something is seriously wrong :laugh:

there’s still a cap floor. Pens aren’t gonna be able to go acquire 30 bad deals for 30 picks

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Cap gonna be like 105-110 if we can’t live with a single year of 6M or whatever while terrible and rebuilding something is seriously wrong :laugh:

there’s still a cap floor. Pens aren’t gonna be able to go acquire 30 bad deals for 30 picks

Yeah I don't get the concern at all. One year of 6M in dead cap seems like a non-issue with where the team is, now. Not even taking into consideration that this is all pure fantasy based on the musing of a bitter old morbidly obese blowhard with an axe to grind.

Hrdina for Zubrus. Any day, now.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: