Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It just comes down to which of Sid's "obsessions" is stronger: playing for 1 organization his entire career or playing on a competitive team with a chance at another deep playoff run.
He lives for play off hockey. I think he is in Colorado by January.
Sakic can make the deal, they are a second line center away from truly contending for that 4th Cup.

I'll add this. Dubas and Sullivan combo will never see a play off game in Pittsburg.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The sad thing about the direction that Dubas chose is even though I do think it's what's best for the team in the long run it also gives Sullivan immunity. Now that the Pens are rebuilding in all but name there is going to be zero pressure on Sullivan to perform. Dubas clearly doesn't expect anything from this team so there will be no expectations on Sullivan either. If the Pens suck it will be "it's not Sullivan's fault we just didn't give him a good enough roster" and if they're good it will be "see this is why we kept Sully look what a great coach we have".
True. But also true there has been "no pressure on Sullivan to perform" since 2018.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I was looking for some clips of Grzelcyk and almost every clip of him on YouTube is him getting his shit rocked dummy style by forecheckers.

Yeah, I was kinda high on us acquiring him last summer, but the more I've dug into the footage, the more I'm like Sebastian Aho should play over him.

This was funny.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He lives for play off hockey. I think he is in Colorado by January.
Sakic can make the deal, they are a second line center away from truly contending for that 4th Cup.

I'll add this. Dubas and Sullivan combo will never see a play off game in Pittsburg.

Their goaltending situation is pretty bad unless Annunen all of a sudden can make the jump to become a good #1.

Reactions: PaulD

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
True. But also true there has been "no pressure on Sullivan to perform" since 2018.
If you mean from the organization then I agree.

When you intentionally put together a team that isn't even trying to compete then even the media now is going to give Sullivan a pass because even if he sucks again they're just going to also say well Dubas isn't really giving him a chance anyways.

Last year Sullivan felt a little bit of heat from the media. Doubt it happens this year. Nobody expects anything from the Pens.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas is talking with Sid as to an extension which I think Sid does. But it will not be a restricted movement as Dubas has to want Sid to retire a Penguin but Sid may want the option of playing for a cup contender if Geno and Letang just are not playing up to standards. Me, I love Sid but want the best for him, not FSG or Sullivan. Sid is loyal and has to think Dubas is upgrading the roster, Me a clean brake so to speak with some nice assets back after this year with the blow up of the roster would be the smart thing to do. Fans are Ok with a rebuild and positioning the franchise to a total rebuild. But Dubas and management will never do that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Dubas is talking with Sid as to an extension which I think Sid does. But it will not be a restricted movement as Dubas has to want Sid to retire a Penguin but Sid may want the option of playing for a cup contender if Geno and Letang just are not playing up to standards. Me, I love Sid but want the best for him, not FSG or Sullivan. Sid is loyal and has to think Dubas is upgrading the roster, Me a clean brake so to speak with some nice assets back after this year with the blow up of the roster would be the smart thing to do. Fans are Ok with a rebuild and positioning the franchise to a total rebuild. But Dubas and management will never do that.
Are casual fans?

Somehow I doubt the Pens are going to see many sellouts if the core moves on and teams are wiping the floor with them night in and night out.

That's the needle Dubas is trying to thread. Not very well so far, mind you.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sid has a NMC and would chose his destination (not that I think he’d leave) so the return won’t be as good as you think.
And those two destinations would be likely where he'd go. He's considered an all time great, he would command a good return regardless. And if not we'd just keep him, which in all actuality is very very likely.

I just don’t see a 38 year old sid playing elsewhere. Doesn’t make much sense to me at this point and what he’s accomplished.
If he wants to be on a team with no shot then yes, he should stay here.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Sid will do what he feels is best for him. But FSG has to know Sid is the final curtain on the sell outs. Only a get a quality team that can be really good will do. The rebuild will take some time and Dubas can keep enough decent players on hand to be OK. But the best course is to do a Chicago and not only be in a position to add some big time prospects but then add the talent with cap room.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
c910d6bf-5f7a-4159-8cc0-9fb239f2ec0f_text.gif

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sid will do what he feels is best for him. But FSG has to know Sid is the final curtain on the sell outs. Only a get a quality team that can be really good will do. The rebuild will take some time and Dubas can keep enough decent players on hand to be OK. But the best course is to do a Chicago and not only be in a position to add some big time prospects but then add the talent with cap room.

Do a Chicago and hope and pray you get a generational talent you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad