Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
That's probably a fair comp but Roy also has the RHD bonus too.

I wouldn't be too shocked if Pettersson could get those 5.3x6 projections but I feel like he's more of a guy who should be in that 4-5 year range. But with the cap skyrocketing in the near future, who knows what he'll end up getting on the market.
He’ll be 29, not sure why he’d take a 4 year deal. Even if cap goes up, he’s 33. He’s gonna rightfully want 6 years of term.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This is true beginning of the decent down the standings. Just gotta accrue more picks and prospects and make them count. That's all that matters moving forward.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t get re-signing Petts…he’s great but if we’re not in a playoff position by the deadline, he needs to get traded…given what D men like Chiarot went for, we’d get a first for him and either another pick or good prospect…they can always sign him in FA if they really want but we need the trade assets…

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
So get rid of Sid as soon as possible, but re-sign Petts?
Yes, because Sid would garner a ton back in a trade and by the time we dig ourselves out he'll be 42!

We're done winning with him, Petts however is young enough where he can still be a contributor on a team in five years.

I don’t get re-signing Petts…he’s great but if we’re not in a playoff position by the deadline, he needs to get traded…given what D men like Chiarot went for, we’d get a first for him and either another pick or good prospect…they can always sign him in FA if they really want but we need the trade assets…
We didn't get a 1ST for Jake, although if you add it all up it's far better than a late 1st.. Hey, if we could get a haul for Petts fine. Not so sure though.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
FYI…The Hockey Guy, The Hockey News and McKeans all came out with their projected standings in the East this season and the Pens were ranked by all of them as coming in 6th in the Metro, just above the Flyers and the BJs lol…

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, Pettersson's the type of defenseman you sell high on, especially at this stage of the Penguins' run. He's not enough of a needle-mover to keep around for a rebuild/retool, but he's valuable enough right now to a contender to land some picks/prospects for the future.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, Pettersson's the type of defenseman you sell high on, especially at this stage of the Penguins' run. He's not enough of a needle-mover to keep around for a rebuild/retool, but he's valuable enough right now to a contender to land some picks/prospects for the future.

I don't know that there is really such thing as "selling high" on a defenseman like Pettersson. He's a boring and safe DFD that will carry the same trade value at 29 that he has at 34.

Like I said on the last page, I don't really view there being a difference between trading him in 2025 versus trading him in 2028. That being said, you need to actually plan on trading him at some point. Re-signing him to a huge long-term deal with a restrictive NTC defeats the entire purpose of that.

I'm totally good with giving Pettersson a 4x5.5 deal and trading him in year 3 of it. If he wants 6-7 years and a full NTC at that money, I'm trading him now.

Reactions: Rave7215

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't know that there is really such thing as "selling high" on a defenseman like Pettersson. He's a boring and safe DFD that will carry the same trade value at 29 that he has at 34.

Like I said on the last page, I don't really view there being a difference between trading him in 2025 versus trading him in 2028. That being said, you need to actually plan on trading him at some point. Re-signing him to a huge long-term deal with a restrictive NTC defeats the entire purpose of that.

I'm totally good with giving Pettersson a 4x5.5 deal and trading him in year 3 of it. If he wants 6-7 years and a full NTC at that money, I'm trading him now.

He doesn't start to suck ass like Dumo did.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He doesn't start to suck ass like Dumo did.

Pettersson doesn't have anywhere even close to Dumoulin's injury track record.

Dumoulin started to to slow down after he missed 56 games in 2 years between 2019-2021, notably with him missing 3 months due to ankle surgery in 2019:

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
According to Taylor, some line combos (split into two teams, not sure which set of players is with which)....in other words, Sullivan dreamed up a line combo that really f**ks Geno…what a surprise lol…also says for every drill Geno has been with Hayes lol

Drew O'Connor-Sidney Crosby-Bryan Rust
Anthony Beauvillier-Evgeni Malkin-Kevin Hayes
Michael Bunting-Lars Eller-Rickard Rakell
Jesse Puljujarvi-Noel Acciari-Valtteri Puustinen
This is just as bad as having Malkin play LW opposite St. Ivany and centered by Nedeljkovic.

Edit: And to the bold, what kind of f***ing moron could watch Malkin last year and conclude that what he needs is more slow.

Reactions: Victor Z and Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Pettersson doesn't have anywhere even close to Dumoulin's injury track record.

Dumoulin started to to slow down after he missed 56 games in 2 years between 2019-2021, notably with him missing 3 months due to ankle surgery in 2019:

So like.. the exact years when Dumoulin declined are in terms of age that you are recommending we sign Pettersson for?

I just don't like the idea of holding onto anyone that is 25+ if we can trade them.

Crosby, Malkin, and Letang are the only exceptions. And I'd honestly be okay dealing Letang.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Again, Dumoulin didn't fall off due to his age. Dumoulin fell off because his ankle got destroyed and his skating fell off a cliff because of it.

My point still stands. I don't want to sign a 28 year old with the hope we can trade him at 34.

That's the same mindset we had with the Rakell and Rust signings.

MP28 is not a corner stone player. Get out of the contract for futures now. Bring in another version of him or absorb a 5+ mil LHD like Leddy or something for a small return. Rinse repeat.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My point still stands. I don't want to sign a 28 year old with the hope we can trade him at 34.

That's the same mindset we had with the Rakell and Rust signings.

MP28 is not a corner stone player. Get out of the contract for futures now. Bring in another version of him or absorb a 5+ mil LHD like Leddy or something for a small return. Rinse repeat.

I'm not saying that. I want to sign Pettersson with the hope of trading him at 31. I'm not advocating for giving Pettersson a 6 year deal and waiting until he's in his mid 30s to trade.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
don't know that there is really such thing as "selling high" on a defenseman like Pettersson. He's a boring and safe DFD that will carry the same trade value at 29 that he has at 34
even if you assume he’s a good player over the next 7 years (HUGE assumption) it inherently proves he’s more valuable now. Because a team is getting the chance to try him, negotiate their own deal with him, and then get good play from him for the full 6.25 seasons. Not 3 or 1 seasons if you move him at 31 or 34 years old.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I mean, I think Dumoulin would have returned more in a trade when he was 29 than he will a year from now when he turns 34. And he's a similar type of defenseman to Pettersson (ie. known for his defense, pretty middling offense).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So we are signing Pettersson for one year and then somehow trading him?

I don't see why MP28 is taking a two year deal here to get traded.

You don't have to trade Pettersson as a rental. You can give him a 5 year deal and trade him in year 3 of it or something like that.

I mean, I think Dumoulin would have returned more in a trade when he was 29 than he will a year from now when he turns 34. And he's a similar type of defenseman to Pettersson (ie. known for his defense, pretty middling offense).

Again, Dumoulin's case is different because he was ruined by injuries. Go look at what Chris Tanev was traded for last year.

even if you assume he’s a good player over the next 7 years (HUGE assumption) it inherently proves he’s more valuable now. Because a team is getting the chance to try him, negotiate their own deal with him, and then get good play from him for the full 6.25 seasons. Not 3 or 1 seasons if you move him at 31 or 34 years old.

If Pettersson gets traded right now, he's probably getting back 2 2nds. If he's traded at age 34 and isn't ruined by injuries, he's probably getting back 2 2nds. If he's traded at age 31 with 3 years at $5.5 million left, he's probably getting back 2 2nds.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You don't have to trade Pettersson as a rental. You can give him a 5 year deal and trade him in year 3 of it or something like that.

Again, Dumoulin's case is different because he was ruined by injuries. Go look at what Chris Tanev was traded for last year.

You'll get way more value for him as a UFA at 2 million that a team can re-sign IMO then trading him at 31 in year 2 of a 5 year deal.

Tanev returned little because Calgary was being weird about who he got traded to and also his cap hit which would be the exact reason I'd rather cash in and try to get a 1st MP now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You'll get way more value for him as a UFA at 2 million that a team can re-sign IMO then trading him at 31 in year 2 of a 5 year deal.

Tanev returned little because Calgary was being weird about who he got traded to and also his cap hit which would be the exact reason I'd rather cash in and try to get a 1st MP now.

I don't think Pettersson is the kind of defenseman that teams trade 1sts for. I'd love to be wrong but I just don't see it.

Reactions: Victor Z

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

If Pettersson gets traded right now, he's probably getting back 2 2nds. If he's traded at age 34 and isn't ruined by injuries, he's probably getting back 2 2nds. If he's traded at age 31 with 3 years at $5.5 million left, he's probably getting back 2 2nds.
I mean no one can know if this is true. Only real value is what the market will pay today.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
All yinz jagoffs who voted wrong in the prospects threads better recognize 🤣 .
Compliments of Miss Haase at dksports (probably my last link to that site. It's become a joke. Freezes constantly. Try to scroll through an article and goes back a page while scrolling down.....)

• Murashov just robbed three guys back-to-back-to-back. He's a brick wall down there.

• Ponomarev and Rust have each had like, three Grade-A chances on Murashov and can't beat him. Some frustrated looks after, haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad