Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I wonder if Crosby would accept a deferred deal like Jarvis.

Get the AAV lower... maybe even dare I say 8.7.

1.3 million deferred later years.

Also what stops him from taking even less AAV. And deferring it even further. Christ Johnston mentioned Shane Doan did. Could be a little loop hole to get a bit more on this roster.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Then you play him in the top 6 in Wilkes. I hate it when a player is asked to do one thing most his life and then once he gets to the NHL it’s, go do this other thing.
Or third line in Pittsburgh too. Or you HS him a game here and there.

With the number of players we have, I wouldn't hate cycling through them a bit.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
You keep saying this like the last 2 seasons hasn't happened and the team has continued to praise the coach that has literally tanked this team, young players leaving that this team needed to use or at least try more than 2 f***ing games, Guentzel literally didn't even want to re-sign and played the games to make sure he didn't just blatantly come out and say it until now where he let's it slip how excited he was to test the market at least once. He left Carolina, a better team, to go to Tampa. So I mean even then, Jake was never going to stay. Yet you think this team is never going to bottom out because of Sid?

Sure, not on purpose. But I feel like someone has already made sure that's inevitable, I'm sure we'll figure out who that might be soon enough, it'll pop up in our heads the moment it passes us.

t6a7CPD.png

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
The current state is what I consider the real suffering. They are throwing years away with minimal progress being made towards the end goal, while simultaneously being clearly out of reach for a Cup.
It feels hopeless. All Dubas can do with this mandate is add secondary and tertiary pieces to the farm, whenever and wherever he can. He's even winning some trades, but this isn't enough.

I will rejoice to see a 2023-24 Sharks model rebuild, with ownership and management going all-in for future Cups. At least they were honest with themselves about where they're at and picked a f***ing lane. Good on them.

It will probably be 2 more years of this nonsense, at least. 4 years total before they get serious. What a disgusting waste. There's so much they could have done for the farm in this time.
If they roll into the deep 2025 draft with only one 1st in their pocket, they should be ashamed of themselves.
I think what pisses me off is that they seem fine with moving out Managers for their Red Sucks, but because Mike Sullivan is a fellow beantown turd, he somehow gets an impossibly long leash and unwavering support.

Red Sucks were crap in 2015 and fired their Manager then for having one of their worst seasons in like a 100yrs, meanwhile Sullivan has put up the worst win percentage in back to back years for the Penguins under any Pens coach that has served for 5 seasons and he's still teflon. The last 2 seasons has been worse than anything Mike Johnston has done, lol. I mean you have to laugh at the fact that Mike Johnston was (rightfully) fired for putting the Pens at 15-10-3, a .589% but Sullivan at .555 and .537 just gets him more confidence from the higher ups.

This just makes me so f***ing irrationally angry thinking about with Mike Sullivan as this team's f***ing coach where as any other team would have fired a coach for this same shit.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
If the team’s serious about his development, and he’s been successful playing in top 6 throughout his career, that’s where he should play. This bull about making young players earn it needs to die. All you do by burying them down the lineup is put them in a position to not succeed.

It really depends on camp, if Doc out plays Rutger but he plays well enough to earn a roster spot to start the season, you put him on the 3rd line until DOC plays himself off the top 6 and you hopefully see Rutger playing well enough to be tried there. That's where my head is at with this whole thing, I mean ideally yeah you don't want to play him on the 3rd line especially in this current situation where the dipshit coach has no f***ing clue how to utilize and deploy the third line, but on the flip side, Rutger has such a strong hockey IQ that even with that 3rd line start, you put him and Puustinen together with a 3C like Hayes and they will probably find a way to succeed in spite of Sullivan.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Also what stops him from taking even less AAV. And deferring it even further. Christ Johnston mentioned Shane Doan did. Could be a little loop hole to get a bit more on this roster.
Idk, but Friedman did mention 10M+ per was discussed. Hard to find a much better source.
So that's a reasonable baseline expectation until we hear otherwise.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Friedman on 32 Thoughts today stated he still thinks Sid signs with the Pens but that he’s heard from one player (sounded like a player on this team) that he’s coming to grips with this team not being a contender anymore. He said he believes Crosby doesn’t feel like it’s a big deal that he hasn’t made a decision yet and that he has time. Sounds like Dubas has made him a bunch of different offers of two, three, four and five year deals. He hasn’t heard that he’s been insulted by any of the offers or anything like that.

He doesn’t feel like this is a Stamkos situation and that the ball is in Sid’s court. Also said the NHL media tour next week is in Vegas where Sid will be present and he wouldn’t be surprised if he just signs before that that way he doesn’t have to be asked about it a thousand times.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Friedman on 32 Thoughts today stated he still thinks Sid signs with the Pens but that he’s heard from one player (sounded like a player on this team) that he’s coming to grips with this team not being a contender anymore. He said he believes Crosby doesn’t feel like it’s a big deal that he hasn’t made a decision yet and that he has time. Sounds like Dubas has made him a bunch of different offers of two, three, four and five year deals. He hasn’t heard that he’s been insulted by any of the offers or anything like that.

He doesn’t feel like this is a Stamkos situation and that the ball is in Sid’s court. Also said the NHL media tour next week is in Vegas where Sid will be present and he wouldn’t be surprised if he just signs before that that way he doesn’t have to be asked about it a thousand times.
Doesn't he realize that he's making a bunch of dweebs on the internet nervous!?!?!

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ

Interesting...
So what would motivate Crosby to resign?

I mean, "coming to grips" means he needs to understand what his role will be in the future.
Is he fine with playing hockey for a paycheck with no chance to win a Stanley Cup?

OR...

Does he just play with the HOPE that we get lucky and do well?

It would come down to if Dubas will handicap (needed another word than sabotage) the team so that they have NO chance to get lucky in the playoffs.

OR....

Does Crosby REALLY want to win, which would mean he would want to move on to another team. Sure his team legacy would be stronger if he stayed, but I guess that depends on what he values more.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
FWIW listening to that segment today, I never got the impression that Crosby’s actually waffling from what Friedman was saying. More so that he’s sort of deciding how long he wants to play.
Sid is gonna stay. We're all just bored.

I'm sure it's only, does he sign to finish with Malkin or sign to finish with Letang.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You're mighty irritable lately--dare I say cranky. :laugh:

Lately?!? You give me too much credit.

Also yeah... it would be truly shocking if Crosby didn't sign. I would imagine the odds are pretty tiny. He's this close to the finish line and we all know how much legacy means to the guy.

It's just fascinating to me to imagine what must be going through his head. Dude is one of the most competitive players I've ever watched. He can't be blind to all these years of laughable playoff results followed by two straight years of missing topped off by rolling into this season with a decidedly... uh... let's be kind and say "questionable" roster while he's pushin' 40. Has to be far from how he hoped things would spool out at this point in his career.

Reactions: Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Lately?!? You give me too much credit.

Also yeah... it would be truly shocking if Crosby didn't sign. I would imagine the odds are pretty tiny. He's this close to the finish line and we all know how much legacy means to the guy.

It's just fascinating to me to imagine what must be going through his head. Dude is one of the most competitive players I've ever watched. He can't be blind to all these years of laughable playoff results followed by two straight years of missing topped off by rolling into this season with a decidedly... uh... let's be kind and say "questionable" roster while he's pushin' 40. Has to be far from how he hoped things would spool out at this point in his career.
They just need to get to their game and get a little puck luck and the PP's been better as of late and the additions to the bottom 6 will help and Quinn has some great ideas and....

Dude's the master of cliches and I think he believes most of them, but in all seriousness, Sid might be coming to the realization they aren't Cup contenders anymore. Guarantee he thinks they're still a playoff team and from there anything can happen.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They just need to get to their game and get a little puck luck and the PP's been better as of late and the additions to the bottom 6 will help and Quinn has some great ideas and....

Dude's the master of cliches and I think he believes most of them, but in all seriousness, Sid might be coming to the realization they aren't Cup contenders anymore. Guarantee he thinks they're still a playoff team and from there anything can happen.

Well nobody can say that he isn't holding up HIS end of the bargain, at least.

Reactions: pistolpete11

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Unless you're a "Sully is only here because Crosby likes him" kinda guy.

I think, at worst, Crosby is a "welp he's the coach and it's not my job to make those decisions and all I can do is play the best I can" kinda guy. I would TAKE Crosby actively lobbying for the coach's removal at this point because I'm just so sick and tired of Mike Sullivan loser zero event hockey. But it's not REALLY the best look, ya know? And I'm sure Crosby is aware of that.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Idk, but Friedman did mention 10M+ per was discussed. Hard to find a much better source.
So that's a reasonable baseline expectation until we hear otherwise.
This was regarding pushing AAV back and not dollar amount.

Crosby can have his 10 million.

Carolina did this with Slavvin and Jarvis.

Arizona did it with Shane Doan.

As long as we pay the man.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I love Sid and obviously want him to retire here so I say this with the utmost respect possible:

IF Sid wants out and wants to contend...where in the F does he go? I'm looking at rosters I don't see a good match. Colorado obviously makes sense but they have ZERO cap space and no with enough of a hit to send back to make it worth it. No prospects to speak of either. The teams with a deep prospect pools may not want to pay the price for 37yo Sid. I just don't see many fits around the league, though I'm sure a team would find a way if push comes to shove.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think, at worst, Crosby is a "welp he's the coach and it's not my job to make those decisions and all I can do is play the best I can" kinda guy. I would TAKE Crosby actively lobbying for the coach's removal at this point because I'm just so sick and tired of Mike Sullivan loser zero event hockey. But it's not REALLY the best look, ya know? And I'm sure Crosby is aware of that.

I'm convinced Sid went to Mario during the Johnstone's years and said "you have to can this dude"

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The current state is what I consider the real suffering. They are throwing years away with minimal progress being made towards the end goal, while simultaneously being clearly out of reach for a Cup.
It feels hopeless. All Dubas can do with this mandate is add secondary and tertiary pieces to the farm, whenever and wherever he can. He's even winning some trades, but this isn't enough.

I will rejoice to see a 2023-24 Sharks model rebuild, with ownership and management going all-in for future Cups. At least they were honest with themselves about where they're at and picked a f***ing lane. Good on them.

It will probably be 2 more years of this nonsense, at least. 4 years total before they get serious. What a disgusting waste. There's so much they could have done for the farm in this time.
If they roll into the deep 2025 draft with only one 1st in their pocket, they should be ashamed of themselves.
The Sharks did not pick a lane. They were the 4th worst team in the league in '22-'23 and did not have near the same talent the Pens have. Their lane was picked for them.

The situations are not analogous, and not recognizing that is half the problem for the burn it down crowd.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
So what's the math on these deferred payments? Like, what % are they using?

I'm screwing around with a calculator and am getting something like 1.75 to 2% but nothing exact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad