Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Their stance of having 2 - 3rd lines is just atrocious and what leads to having a very costly 4th line. It's just a bunch of meh players jumbled together.

I can't even come up with a suitable term for that bottom six.
You mean 2 - 4th lines. Sullivan has no f***ing idea what a 3rd line looks like, or a 2nd line or a 4th line. Well a 4th line he does know, he spent his entire f***ing career as one.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
My biggest issue with Kindergarten Kyle is that he was never hired to be the General Manager of this team, he was hired to be the President of Hockey Operations, something he wanted on the Leafs but Shanahan didn't really care for. He was supposed to hire a GM and then decided to take on the job himself, I thought ok maybe a year, but now heading into year 2, he's still the GM and there doesn't seem to be any sign of him wanting to take a step back into the role he was hired for and hire someone to do the job he was supposed to hire someone for.
I'm sure Spezza is being groomed to be the next GM of the penguins.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I really want Rust f***ing traded so we don't have to keep seeing the dumb f***ing iteration of Doc-Crosby-Rust as a unit because it will bleed goals and Sullivan will f*** over Malkin's line to fix it and I'm f***ing over it with seeing that for almost 20yrs.

We all want them to try, but under a new coach that has some fresh new ideas and coaching philosophy vs the ignorant :eek::eek::eek::eek: we have been stuck with for almost a decade.
Could be worse. Could be talking about Pascal Dupuis still. I don't hate Rust with Sid. Of all the things on the roster, Rust-Sid, Bunting-Geno, and Pettersson-Karlsson are at the bottom.
I don't mind Karlsson here, again, it's the f***ing coach.

Sullivan's hard on of a roster would be:

O'Connor, Crosby, Rust
Bunting, Malkin, Rakell
Beauvillier, Hayes, Glass
Acciari, Eller, Lizotte/Puljujarvi

Cody sucks at faceoffs, he's really not that great at all. I see them trying him at RW to free him up potentially to give that a try, maybe a battle between Lizotte, Pooljuce, and Glass.

Puustinen and the others will be told they have to fight for a spot and can do well, but really, they aren't veterans so f*** them - Sullivan probably.
That's actually a decent guess for the opening night roster barring a surprise at camp and any additional trades. It's better than what we iced last year on opening night (well at least the bottom 6 is).

So you're saying it can get worse....lol
It seems like higher profile player GMs come in, make a mistake, then level out and turn out decent.

Yzerman was meh and then pulled off cups, Sakic had a couple wiffs then rounded out to good form, same with Drury. I'd have to check on Briere.

There would be worse candidates. Plus, Dubas is young. He might be here awhile.

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Not one of those players brought back picks with them.

Anything to scapegoat what they are doing. As far as I know, you are not rebuilding with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders.

You can call it what you want, but that's not rebuilding.
well, you could bundle them with our first to move up and get your high pick so you won't need to be real bad to get that high pick. maybe. :dunno:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Point is we clearly didn't move upwards overall. I mean, the moves are there to make it interesting (not exciting).

The team is built like a house of cards...just waiting for Sully to toddler swing it to the ground!
out side of getting a new coach there was no way we were going to be better next year, and it's why i wanted to keep next years top pick.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
My biggest issue with Kindergarten Kyle is that he was never hired to be the General Manager of this team, he was hired to be the President of Hockey Operations, something he wanted on the Leafs but Shanahan didn't really care for. He was supposed to hire a GM and then decided to take on the job himself, I thought ok maybe a year, but now heading into year 2, he's still the GM and there doesn't seem to be any sign of him wanting to take a step back into the role he was hired for and hire someone to do the job he was supposed to hire someone for.
I think Dubas always wanted to be both pres and gm. I think any words he said publicly to the contrary were lip service.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I think Dubas always wanted to be both pres and gm. I think any words he said publicly to the contrary were lip service.
Possibly but he was initially hired as Pres of Hockey Ops and was to search for a GM. That was as the original hire and intention. He didn't seem to really look at wanting to be a GM again after Toronto but then later pivoted to taking the GM role as well. Absolute asshat.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
This article made me laugh.

“We’re coming back. And we’re going to have a pretty similar roster. Same thing for the coaching staff up, for the most part,” said Nedeljkovic. So I thought we had a good run at the end. And I think if we’re a little bit more consistent throughout the year, then there’s no doubt in my mind that we can be a playoff team, and I think we can surprise a lot of people (who) maybe count us out.”

Yes, that's why no one thinks you'll be any good.

• Haha
Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
God, idk, can we just refer to him as Cody? Or CG? I see shit like "Glass has some talent" and I'm still so traumatized from the past that my reaction is "SHUT UP DAN, NO HE DOESNT."

Tanner “Can’t even get a shot off on an open net in a Cup Final” Glass

1723705017041.gif

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Dubas would be making the major decisions regardless of his title.

It's the same in Vancouver. Patrick Allvin may by the GM, but Jim Rutherford's fingerprints are all over the Canucks.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Dubas would be making the major decisions regardless of his title.

It's the same in Vancouver. Patrick Allvin may by the GM, but Jim Rutherford's fingerprints are all over the Canucks.
Yeah in this case the chowdah stained finger prints on this team are all Sullivan.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Just occurred to me that Armstrong did what he did with those offer sheets to f*** over Bowman.
That's pretty wild. A GM is willing to mess up his own team to make life harder for another GM.
I don't see how the compensation messes up Armstrong's team in anyway if the Oilers fail to match. 2nd and 3rd (?) seem fair compensation for the players he'd be acquiring. Possibly a bit of an underpay on the open market.

Reactions: Shady Machine

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Look, Dubas has the balance of building the prospect pool left basically barren with the all in approach the last 15 years. to me he is building the farm with the trades and adding younger players as we go. While the Pens with a decent PP, improved play from Jarry, Graves and healthy Rakell this year, Pens can be a good team. Lots of things clicking but still with Karlsson, Sid, Malkin and adding size and some grit, at least it will be a nice change from the last couple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad