Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't remember hating McGroarty's skating at the World Juniors. That's a long way from being an asset to his game, but I usually notice guys that are just Ramzi Abid'ing there way to video game numbers with the foot speed of a 3 toed sloth.
I went back and watch the gold medal WJC game and I didn't see anything so bad that it stuck out and gave me concerns. Tough though because they are all on the same level.

I don't think he needs lightning-quick speed in order to be successful here. If he's willing to work down low and penetrate the middle on a regular basis, he'll be fine throughout his career. There are plenty of slower, mediocre skaters who carve out good careers by using their size and physicality to get into position.

At the end of the day, we no longer have Yager; we have Rutger. Nothing is changing that, so I'm not wasting my time with concerns about skating. He will either do well or he won't. I'm just going to be excited to see a high-end young player with us. When was the last time we had that? Jake?

Obviously, there will always be a Rutger vs Yager comparison and I'm sure both will go on to have good careers. I will say though, I do think guys like Rutger tend to have better careers than guys like Yager. I think the best comparison I saw for yager was McCann. Lethal shot a good two-way center. But for us, McCann was a perimeter player who struggled to penetrate the middle which limited his effectiveness with us. I see Rutger maybe more in that Horny-lite, Kunitz-style of play that has worked out much better for us in the past.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I am definitely upset about losing Yager. I think he's going to be a very good player in the NHL. McGoarty is what this roster needs. They need a shot in the arm in the worst way and a strong shit stirrer is kind of what they needed most.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Honestly, quite happy with this deal.

Sucks to give up Yager, but he probably wasn't playing in the NHL this year or making an impact next year, when we want to maximize the core.

McGroarty - brutal name aside - is a better prospect who fills a greater need now. Big, hardworking, versatile, smart, goal scorer, solid defensively. Biggest downside is skating. Can't have everything, but it seems like none of our forward prospects are good skaters.

Sounds like he could be a Boone Jenner type with more offensive IQ/playmaking. That'd be an awesome guy to plug and play with Sid or Geno.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I am definitely upset about losing Yager. I think he's going to be a very good player in the NHL. McGoarty is what this roster needs. They need a shot in the arm in the worst way and a strong shit stirrer is kind of what they needed most.

Yager projects like McCann. We saw how that went with good ole Sully. At least McGoarty will be different and bring something the team hasn't had in awhile. Is it a risk sure. But one they should be taking.

I think if both hit their ceilings. McGoarty's type is a harder player to find than a McCann

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Honestly, quite happy with this deal.

Sucks to give up Yager, but he probably wasn't playing in the NHL this year or making an impact next year, when we want to maximize the core.

McGroarty - brutal name aside - is a better prospect who fills a greater need now. Big, hardworking, versatile, smart, goal scorer, solid defensively. Biggest downside is skating. Can't have everything, but it seems like none of our forward prospects are good skaters.

Sounds like he could be a Boone Jenner type with more offensive IQ/playmaking. That'd be an awesome guy to plug and play with Sid or Geno.
I really don't follow rankings of prospects anymore...is McGroarty seen as a better prospect? I would think opposite by watching both of them.

Yager projects like McCann. We saw how that went with good ole Sully. At least McGoarty will be different and bring something the team hasn't had in awhile. Is it a risk sure. But one they should be taking.

I think if both hit their ceilings. McGoarty's type is a harder player to find than a McCann
And when a player like McGroarty develops correctly, he's almost always a core member of his team for years and his team is usually wildly successful. Lucic...Tkachuk...Hornqvist.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yes, most prospect models and sites have him above Yager.

Pronman is the only one I've seen that has said he had Yager above McGroarty and it seems like that is mostly about McGroarty's skating.
Oh cool. I thought we took a downgrade to speed up the maturation process, but nice to know we didn't. I really don't mind this at all then, and I actually rather love it.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I don't want to say McGroarty has this kind of upside, but the Tkachuk player comparison seems reasonable and that kind of player is way more difficult to find than what Yager projects to be. That's not taking anything away from Yager, I think his upside is a Konecny type of top-6 forward, but finding a top-6 player in Konecny's skillset is far easier than finding a top-6 player in Tkachuk's skillset.

The Yager for McGroarty swap makes more sense the more you think about it for both sides, it's just a good trade for both teams. With that said, I'm 1000% taking a center with their 2025 1st.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oh cool. I thought we took a downgrade to speed up the maturation process, but nice to know we didn't. I really don't mind this at all then, and I actually rather love it.

I think Yager could potentially still be the better prospect if he reaches his peak upside, but I doubt he does it. Nothing in his tape and game seems to show he's going to be an elite forward most likely a 2/3C.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

An Athletic article in July had him as the number 33 prospect in the NHL and Yager as the number 58. It also said this about his skating/finishing:

He’s a better skater (it doesn’t look the prettiest through his first few steps, but there’s some power when he gets going nonetheless) than he gets credit for and his spatial awareness, reads and effort level help him avoid losing short races. He’s got great hands and feel on the puck as a passer. His finishing touch around the net is there in spades, with a hard one-touch shot that he leverages his strong frame to power through when he gets open in the slot. He has always been a sneaky-good facilitator who passes the puck really well and can hold it.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
People penciling McGroarty into the lineup on Sid or Geno's wing don't see the big picture and the real reason Dubas made the trade.

Clearly Sid isn't re-signing so Dubas went out and got us a 2C to play behind Geno. ;)

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I want to be excited about this season, but I just won't let myself get too hyped.
Can't quite put a finger on why that might be ...

4085919_web1_gtr-SullyCut-070220.jpg

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

An Athletic article in July had him as the number 33 prospect in the NHL and Yager as the number 58. It also said this about his skating/finishing:

He’s a better skater (it doesn’t look the prettiest through his first few steps, but there’s some power when he gets going nonetheless) than he gets credit for and his spatial awareness, reads and effort level help him avoid losing short races. He’s got great hands and feel on the puck as a passer. His finishing touch around the net is there in spades, with a hard one-touch shot that he leverages his strong frame to power through when he gets open in the slot. He has always been a sneaky-good facilitator who passes the puck really well and can hold it.

"McGroarty’s one of those kids who just looks like a pro hockey player. If he walked into an NHL dressing room tomorrow, he would stand as strong as some in it. Then you add in the charisma that made him the natural choice for the captaincy at the U.S. NTDP and with last year’s gold medal-winning world junior team, and the light and energy that oozes out of him, and you have to be careful not to put too much stock into the off-ice pieces of the puzzle that he already appears to have figured out. But I think he’s a darn good hockey player and the pieces of the puzzle fit together nicely on the ice as well.

He has particularly mastered the net drive into a high rotation away from coverage that brings him back to around the net. And then when he gets there, he’s got the strength to shoot from bad postures/off balance. He always seems to put his shots into good locations (along the ice, low blocker, high short side), too. He’s dexterous. He’s a tone setter. I’m a big fan.

The ice normally tilts in his favour, he’s such a smart player, he can score, he works, and he just understands where to be out there and how to put himself in positions to create offense. He has also reinforced his strong statistical profile from the NTDP at Michigan, where he was a point-per-game freshman and played to nearly 1.5 points per game as a sophomore last year despite a pretty severe injury in the fall (a broken rib and punctured lung).

If he can get a little quicker from the jump, he’s got all of the other makings of a legitimate top-nine forward who can play up and down a lineup with a variety of player types. He’s going to have a long career as a second-liner, I’d expect. I think he’s ready for pro, too."

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

Pieniniemi to play in the OHL this year.
Some good stuff in here. The author really talks a lot about his character and work ethic, which is funny since I was seeing people call him a "malcontent".

Dude returned from a collapsed lung and broken ribs in 11 days?!?

Reactions: Lustaf

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Wheeler's really betting his success on the Penguins. He's been super high on Pickering and McGroarty lol.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Jesse Marshall posted a short video highlighting how his skating has gotten a little better recently. He definitely looks decent on his edges/has good agility. The more I see the more I see why they did this move. I like his player archetype a lot more than Yager.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
We need this kid's size, effort, and willingness to play in the dirty areas. We haven't had that combination since PH. It's what our PP has been missing, and will give Sid space to work in the O zone by driving the lanes and drawing defenders.

GM's never give up young guys like this. This is exactly what we need Dubas to be doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad