Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: Dull days of August... Oooo! A trade!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Even when do get young players people complain. A lot of people are going to be disappointed because most our prospects are projecting to be similar producers as Puust.

It’s like if a young guy doesn’t score 20 - 20 he’s useless garbage.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Really ruins the meaning of elite level

I mean, i guess our old core is elite for their age? We would be much much worse if those guys were average and old.
I love how Sid and “Letang” are elite and Geno and Karl are just good players lol…did Sullivan watch Letang last season? Or is he just basing his comments on which of our core players still listen to him and want him around lol?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Couple of thoughts.

DOC is a 3rd liner at best. Either he succeeds there or you punt. If he's on line 1, trade any and all of value.

Puus is very valuable. He's the one guy that elevates with who he plays with; meaning he could slide to line one for 3-5 games and be very valuable. He doesn't need a home on any line, but he needs to be in the lineup most nights.

In a sane world, I should be allowed to sue Mike Sullivan for fraud, incompetence and irreparable harm. In what world is a blowhard, meathead such as Sullivan rewarded with the keys of kingdom? If there is one guy who should live in a daily fear of the universe making a huge self-correction, it's Sully.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I love how Sid and “Letang” are elite and Geno and Karl are just good players lol…did Sullivan watch Letang last season? Or is he just basing his comments on which of our core players still listen to him and want him around lol?
100% caught that dig that he put in there

Sullivan is such a scumbag. How anyone can support this dumbass is shocking

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I mean Puus on PP1 should be a no brainer. It was almost comical that he looked like a fish out of water (and I don't mean in a bad way). Here are 5 guys and 4 of them are standing still while Puus is in the corner, behind the net and skating his ass off trying to retrieve the puck and the rest of his crew is standing around giving cursory efforts and shoulder shrugs as the other team gets possession.

Agreed Puus made the PP look good. I want him to have 15 minutes a night and play. Let's say 2 ish PP 13 EV. Don't care where.
Oh no, he's going to be like Beau Bennett, also glass.
Beau could have been something special.

Lose out on 2 1st rounders.
Sign ufas to 1 or 2 year deals of the older variety.

Glad we aren't the oldest but man has Edmonton gotten older.

Man, you just reminded me of that Eller-O’Connor OT at the end of the season when we needed points.

f*** you.

Why did you remind me of this. I had it blocked out.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Someone on reddit said that Karlsson liked Knyzhov and apparently gave him a stick that said something like 'To the best young defenseman I've ever played with'.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think he's a strong candidate to outplay his cap hit, which is good enough. We don't have many of those kinda guys.
Not saying he's a top-six lock and will be for years to come, but I also believe in merit-based deployment. He's earned more.
There's no reason he should be behind 2 or 3 guys in camp for a spot. If he fails? Sure, demote him.
Sample size of failure at the NHL level first though. Like 20 games minimum.
Agreed but I think we can say that for just about anyone making sub-$1mil. He's a 30-35pt per 82 player based on stats last year. I am really rooting for him to break out this year but from what I saw in his game, I have doubts. The harsher reality is that there are dozens of 30pt players in the league that will play for sub-$1mil. I think Puustinen will be a fine stop-gap middle-6 winger for us until some of our other younger guys come up - Yager, Pono, Koivunene, Howe, etc. I'm not saying his fate is sealed but I'm suggesting that he is more Simon than Rust/Sheary/Jake.
Everyone should just contemplate this quote from the coach, as quoted in this NHL.com story lol…it’s over, people lol

“I think the vision and the direction is crystal clear, as far as what we're trying to accomplish and how we’re trying to go about it," Sullivan said. "We believe that Sid is still playing at such an elite level. Kris Letang is still playing at such an elite level. 'Karl,' 'Geno,' these guys are competitive guys and they're good players.

"We feel like we're in a position where we're trying to surround that core group with what we can to be as competitive as we can be and challenge."

It's the same thing we've heard and seen play out: "We need to start accruing draft picks and young players for when the core retires. Until then, we will add sensibly priced players to help us be as competitive as we reasonably can be. If we make the playoffs, great. If we don't, oh well but we're not going to go out and buy a playoff slot that might hurt us more in the future"

That has been the directive for awhile. That's the direction that Dubas has taken the team in. The "there is no plan" gang is willfully ignorant at this point.
Couple of thoughts.

DOC is a 3rd liner at best. Either he succeeds there or you punt. If he's on line 1, trade any and all of value.

Puus is very valuable. He's the one guy that elevates with who he plays with; meaning he could slide to line one for 3-5 games and be very valuable. He doesn't need a home on any line, but he needs to be in the lineup most nights.

In a sane world, I should be allowed to sue Mike Sullivan for fraud, incompetence and irreparable harm. In what world is a blowhard, meathead such as Sullivan rewarded with the keys of kingdom? If there is one guy who should live in a daily fear of the universe making a huge self-correction, it's Sully.
I don't understand how you can call DOC a 3rd liner at best but then turn around and say Puustinen is "very valuable". I mean, that is in STARK contrast to what we saw play out last year.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
What could even be the trade here? After the shift towards rebuilding, what would the Jets even want? I don’t see much value in our aging players and would hope to hell this isn’t for a prospect or valuable picks.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What could even be the trade here? After the shift towards rebuilding, what would the Jets even want? I don’t see much value in our aging players and would hope to hell this isn’t for a prospect or valuable picks.

I could see it being Pickering for him? I assume we gave up a 1st round equivalent and a cap dump.

Yeah, he's legitimately our best prospect now.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What was the deal with him in Winnipeg? Did he just not want to play there?
He's wants playing time. Winnipeg is telling him to be patient.

To us is odd because I'm not sure we can guarantee anything more than Winnipeg can. But I am more than willing to make room.

A pick, Pono, hell even Koivunen could all be in play. I assume one of Hayes, Eller, Acciari are going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad