Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Pens Ownership "Dubas... that Coca-Cola machine. I want you to shoot the lock off it. There may be some waiver players in there."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
VAN of any organization from the President to the GM and coach knows EXACTLY what Jake would bring. They'd be ideal trade partners IMO.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Mikeyev is gonna be 30 I think. Hoglander at least is only 23. If we're to get young Hoglander and a 1st pretty much fills the bill there.

Graves has negative value and Letang isn't going anywhere.
I know about Graves, he is horrible. But Letang personally I'd wanna see what's out there in terms of value for him.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If you assume the Pens are cooked this year, yes get the 10th pick to better with lottery luck. Dubas has to get younger and have picks as well to begin the stocking of the farm. Picks back for Jake works for me. But a 1st top prospect and a decent roster player will probably be the deal. In 2 or 3 years the actual rebuild begins to take shape. Rust, Karlsson, Geno, are gone and pens need to replenish RD and center.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
VAN of any organization from the President to the GM and coach knows EXACTLY what Jake would bring. They'd be ideal trade partners IMO.

That only matters if they're willing to dip into assets they frankly shouldn't be trading for Guentzel.

The problem is beyond Lekkerimaki, they don't really have a good headliner piece to grab Guentzel with. Someone like Vegas has Brisson, who does Vancouver have? Hoglander is probably the next best option, and I just don't think he matches up with Brisson.

That's why coming up with a fair rental trade for Guentzel with Vancouver is tough. If Guentzel is coming with an extension, it's stupidly easy: Mikheyev, Lekkerimaki and a 2025 1st for Guentzel. Without an extension, Vancouver wouldn't (and shouldn't) make that deal.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

Vegas honestly has more appealing pieces to me than Vancouver, assuming Vancouver wouldn't trade Lekkerimaki for Guentzel. Vegas has Brisson as the main piece, but I also like Dorofeyev as another target.

I think you could probably pull off Brisson, Dorofeyev, a 2024 1st and a 2024 2nd for Guentzel from Vegas. I know it's "LET'S PLAY THE RUSSIAN WITH MALKIN", but slide Dorofeyev onto Malkin's line and have Malkin be a mentor for him. Also Brisson's dad is Crosby's agent, which makes another funny connection to me.

Both seem to have underwhelming AHL stats especially for their ages. Particularly Brisson.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
This was a trade proposal from ESPN's hockey staff - Ryan S. Clark, Kristen Shilton and Greg Wyshynski. Clark wrote about the proposed trade below:

Florida Panthers get:
LW Jake Guentzel (at 25% of salary)

Pittsburgh Penguins get:
2024 third-round pick, 2025 second-round pick, 2026 first-round pick, retain 50% of Guentzel's salary

Chicago Blackhawks get:
2025 fourth-round pick (CGY, from FLA), retain 25% of Guentzel's salary

That is a laughably bad return. Especially considering this is the trade right below it:

Vegas Golden Knights get:
LW Pavel Buchnevich

St. Louis Blues get:
2024 first-rounder, 2025 second-rounder, C Brendan Brisson, D Lukas Cormier

How is Buchnevich worth more than Guentzel, other than the extra year on his contract?

If Dubas doesn't get at least a first round pick AND a promising young player ready for the NHL, then he shouldn't do the deal.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
That espn trade is garbage I’d prefer prospects at this point rather than a prospect and a first rounder I think. I don’t think I want anyone that’s 30 coming back in a trade either unless they are sending out smith and it’s a one for one.

Reactions: Pens1566

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
That only matters if they're willing to dip into assets they frankly shouldn't be trading for Guentzel.

The problem is beyond Lekkerimaki, they don't really have a good headliner piece to grab Guentzel with. Someone like Vegas has Brisson, who does Vancouver have? Hoglander is probably the next best option, and I just don't think he matches up with Brisson.

That's why coming up with a fair rental trade for Guentzel with Vancouver is tough. If Guentzel is coming with an extension, it's stupidly easy: Mikheyev, Lekkerimaki and a 2025 1st for Guentzel. Without an extension, Vancouver wouldn't (and shouldn't) make that deal.
Mikheyev is the same age as Jake and doesn't fit the bill, and neither does their 25 1st, it's basically scraps while 100% of the trade relies on Lekkerimaki to pan out.

Jake with an extension is more in the Garland, Hoglander and Lekkerimaki territory.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I mentioned Brisson and a 1st like a week ago. So, I'd be ok if we make a move with Vegas, but if the objective is to get younger, Hoglander makes more sense than Mikheyev from Van. Particularly if we retain. And in a couple years they'll have a cap crunch with the E-L buyout. So maybe they feel while they can to push their chips in the middle.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I think part of what you gain from trading Guentzel is getting younger and potentially saving some money on the cap and honestly… trying something different. I don’t see the harm in allowing interested teams talking extension with his agent assuming it’ll add a bigger return.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Mikheyev is the same age as Jake and doesn't fit the bill, and neither does their 25 1st, it's basically scraps while 100% of the trade relies on Lekkerimaki to pan out.

Jake with an extension is more in the Garland, Hoglander and Lekkerimaki territory.

Speaking of Garland. How about Jake for him?
This team needs some gritty dudes

Reactions: Ugene Magic

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

if they only had a gm like jr we would be in good shape.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Hoglander and a 1st would be my preference there. I'd want a piece younger than Garland.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
If we deal Jake, and there's a 3rd party involved to retain, I don't believe he can come back in FA. Something to think about ...

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Hopefully Rutherford can call the shots and get his guy in Guentzel if that’s who he has his sights on. I still am amazed that first year when he went all in to get Daniel Winnik and put the team in a position they had no cap space to call anyone up.

Edit-and overpay of course

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This was a trade proposal from ESPN's hockey staff - Ryan S. Clark, Kristen Shilton and Greg Wyshynski. Clark wrote about the proposed trade below:

That is a laughably bad return. Especially considering this is the trade right below it:

How is Buchnevich worth more than Guentzel, other than the extra year on his contract?

If Dubas doesn't get at least a first round pick AND a promising young player ready for the NHL, then he shouldn't do the deal.
It's all futures, I don't think it's all that bad because accruing draft capital makes a lot of sense. That said, we should try and get young NHL players or high end prospects also.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
I think hypothetically if Pittsburgh were renting Guentzel out and him being a ufa he’d be able to resign here if they wanted to even after retaining.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Both seem to have underwhelming AHL stats especially for their ages. Particularly Brisson.
Hoglander is NHL ready, Brisson might need a bit more seasoning. In theory I'd be ok with both. But Hoglander can be a full time NHLer now. And he's a pretty good at finding the back of the net.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

If Dubas gets a shit return like that for Guentzel, Dubas should be fired on the spot.

Then again, ESPN's hockey "analysts" are usually the dumbest of the bunch. And that says something considering some of the dumb dumbs on other networks. But they all seem like top tier compared to the drones usually working for ESPN.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Mine has you getting both with Lekkerimaki.

Garland 27
Hoglander 23
Lekkerimaki 19

Their 25 1st isn't as valuable as Lekkerimaki.
Even With an extension I'm not so sure we could get all three of those pieces. And I truly believe we'll get a haul for Jake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad