Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: If we score 6 we win, its science!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Toronto has Murray and Edmonton has Campbell making cash. Why would they make that commitment? Especially given how many teams are succeeding with subpar goaltending.
Desperation makes NHL GMs do crazy things...especially in those particular Canadian pressure cookers.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
While I totally agree that goalies are voodoo, I'll also point out that starting goaltenders still get paid a decent rate in the NHL.

Jarry's 3.5M cap hit has him tied for 26th highest in the NHL. Considering there are 32 teams in the League, that puts him squarely towards the bottom of the League in pay for a starting goaltender.
7 goalies currently have a cap hit of 6M or more, with another two at 5.9 and 5.8.
You get down to 13th highest cap hit to get down to a 5M cap hit.

When you look at actual salaries, and not just the cap hits, there are 10 goalies making at least 6M this year.

Considering Jarry's actual salary this year is 4.5M, there's no way he's getting anything less than a 5M cap hit on his next deal. If he continues to perform the way he has so far, a 6M cap hit really isn't out of the question for him.

Regardless of whether you think he deserves that or not, realistically speaking, he's very likely to get something in that range.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
While I totally agree that goalies are voodoo, I'll also point out that starting goaltenders still get paid a decent rate in the NHL.

Jarry's 3.5M cap hit has him tied for 26th highest in the NHL. Considering there are 32 teams in the League, that puts him squarely towards the bottom of the League in pay for a starting goaltender.
7 goalies currently have a cap hit of 6M or more, with another two at 5.9 and 5.8.
You get down to 13th highest cap hit to get down to a 5M cap hit.

When you look at actual salaries, and not just the cap hits, there are 10 goalies making at least 6M this year.

Considering Jarry's actual salary this year is 4.5M, there's no way he's getting anything less than a 5M cap hit on his next deal. If he continues to perform the way he has so far, a 6M cap hit really isn't out of the question for him.

Regardless of whether you think he deserves that or not, realistically speaking, he's very likely to get something in that range.

I don’t think there is any doubt that Jarry has earned the contract he signs with his play. The question is do we need to invest in that contract.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I would guess Jarry gets something in the 5.5-6mil AAV x 5 year range assuming he doesn't implode this season. I don't think that's exorbitant, but goalie is universally the worst position to splurge on and the Pens have a lot of other needs too.

Reactions: Andy99

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I would guess Jarry gets something in the 5.5-6mil AAV x 5 year range assuming he doesn't implode this season. I don't think that's exorbitant, but goalie is universally the worst position to splurge on and the Pens have a lot of other needs too.
Goalie is worst to splurge on but also it's the worst position to overlook too.
A cheap unreliable goalie is going to lead to trouble.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Goalie is worst to splurge on but also it's the worst position to overlook too.
A cheap unreliable goalie is going to lead to trouble.
Jarry has been worse than unreliable though, at least in the playoffs. Our goaltending has been either unavailable or horrible in the playoffs. I wish our goaltending was unreliable.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Jarry has been worse than unreliable though, at least in the playoffs. Our goaltending has been either unavailable or horrible in the playoffs. I wish our goaltending was unreliable.
I was referring to in general.
But you are not wrong. How many years and he didn't actually win a round yet has he?

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t understand the interest in Boeser…flawed player who doesn’t fit how Sullivan wants to play, not to mention his contract…I’d be more interested in Horvat who’s supposedly available too…not enough discussion about him

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I don’t understand the interest in Boeser…flawed player who doesn’t fit how Sullivan wants to play, not to mention his contract…I’d be more interested in Horvat who’s supposedly available too…not enough discussion about him

Do the Pens have the assets to land Horvat? Even if they do, would it be wise to trade them?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
He's been the Penguins' starting goalie for two seasons (not counting this one), but played more than one playoff game only in one season.
Yeah. Weird how after he ... now from what I remember... choked up in his first playoffs and said he'd prove himself next time --- and we are still waiting to see him prove it... That was 2 years ago. That's a long wait.

I think he'll do it.
I went from they'll probably miss this post season to I think this is the year they get out of the first round.
Not that I don't have my doubts and they in all likelihood they get bounced in the first round again....
Actually I don't know what to think. 🤷‍♂️
If they do get bounced --- I don't think it would be because of Jarry.
Will be watching this post season intently.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Do the Pens have the assets to land Horvat? Even if they do, would it be wise to trade them?
They have the same issues with any player we’d try to trade for: cap space and what assets in return…we can’t just trade picks and prospects…we need a player going out whether that would be Kap, Dumo, Zucker etc…I don’t think it happens unless they want to sign Horvat long term and he’s gonna get a lot more than he’s making now…but I would somehow love to jettison Carter and bring in Horvat lol

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Horvat's a C and is (presumably) much more expensive, and he's also shooting at like 23% so I doubt the whole 20 goals in 27 games pace holds up. Not that I want Boeser, but this team isn't really in the position asset-wise to kick the tires on guys who aren't flawed to some degree or another. Luckily the cap situation kind of eliminates us from chasing somebody like Boeser, or worse, Garland.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Horvat's a C and is (presumably) much more expensive, and he's also shooting at like 23% so I doubt the whole 20 goals in 27 games pace holds up. Not that I want Boeser, but this team isn't really in the position asset-wise to kick the tires on guys who aren't flawed to some degree or another. Luckily the cap situation kind of eliminates us from chasing somebody like Boeser, or worse, Garland.
Horvat doesn’t have to play center though and he’d be great insurance…also think he’s a better fit here…hes also a UFA which should cost less..I’m not saying we have or should spend the assets but if we have space at the deadline, he and someone like Kane are precisely the players we should be looking at if we’re still in contention in February

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Horvat doesn’t have to play center though and he’d be great insurance…also think he’s a better fit here…hes also a UFA which should cost less..I’m not saying we have or should spend the assets but if we have space at the deadline, he and someone like Kane are precisely the players we should be looking at if we’re still in contention in February
Horvat also makes $5.5 million AAV and is a UFA at the end of the season. He's not even on the Pens' radar imo. :laugh:

I'd rather Kane just f***ed off into obscurity than see him in a Penguins jersey, even if it meant watching this team flame out in the 1st again. Rape apologists can eat shit and die, tbh.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There is no reason to sign Jarry until he proves he isn’t a joke in the playoffs. You shouldn’t even consider it, especially if he wants north of $5 million.

It’s okay to not re-sign every single player. I know posters sometimes forget that with our lazy ass GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbynek

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Geno in 08-09 would just routinely go end to end even in the playoffs. It felt like the puck was just on his stick all the time and nobody could take it from him.

I miss those days. It's great how well Sid and Geno are still playing, but they're obviously not what they once were.
The league was also much different then. It was an exciting time to be a hockey fan because you could see where it was trending, but teams in 07-10 still had slow, plodding grinders without much skill. Geno, Sid, Ovi were just a different breed of hockey player and it was so exciting to watch.

Reactions: Pancakes

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Agreed. I don’t think the assets we have will get Horvat, but I would love to acquire him and sign him long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad