Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
View attachment 720317
Do you guys ever just look at this?

I've never been big on the videos of people hurting themselves. I have my moments like anyone - but generally one of the rare types who like folks to succeed.

That being said, the Oilers are often like sandpaper - even having a hard time attracting talent etc etc....so I don't often or, really ever, feel bad for them. The Nurse and Jones contracts were disgusting from day one.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Jets fan here,

I would personally accept Granlund as part of a package for Helleybuyck if the package included pick #14 and Pickering.

If needed, to balance value I would include Stanley or Harkins as both could use a change of scenery.

I'm not really a fan of acquiring Helle because this is his last year on that deal but... I'd probably do it.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
If Hextall was still here this would be the summer of talking about Blake Wheeler.

36 years old, 6 foot 5, still decent but about to really fall off the cliff, way to high of a cap hit, and too bold of a move for Hextall to ever make. Hence why it’d be the summer of only talking about it.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Using that Helle trade as a basis:

Jake - Sid - Rakell
Bunting - Geno - Rust
Janmark - Kampf - Brown
DOC - Poehling - Carter
Nylander / Pederson

Grzelcyk - Letang
Pettersson - Petry
Smith - Rutta
Ruhwedel

Hellebuyck - CDS

POJ for Griz. No cap space fam.

If Hextall was still here this would be the summer of talking about Blake Wheeler.

36 years old, 6 foot 5, still decent but about to really fall off the cliff, way to high of a cap hit, and too bold of a move for Hextall to ever make. Hence why it’d be the summer of only talking about it.

+JVR

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I have to admit, Staal does make some sense here. Just think of all the pterodactyl/pickle stabber references we'd get as well.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Jets fan here,

I would personally accept Granlund as part of a package for Helleybuyck if the package included pick #14 and Pickering.

If needed, to balance value I would include Stanley or Harkins as both could use a change of scenery.
Any deal (within reason) for Hellebuyck would entirely hinge on him willing to sign an extension here IMO. Given why he wants out of Winnipeg, I don't know why he would.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I guess Jake Guentzel must have been widely discussed elsewhere yesterday in places I don’t have access lol…let’s hope some our crack journalists in Pittsburgh ask some questions about his long term future as a Pen in Dubas’ presser today…

Also, another poster posted this…from DK’s Friday Insider, which I don’t have access to either…

“PENGUINS

• The plan is to buy out Mikael Granlund. I know that seems obvious, and I know that'll surprise no one. But I'm sharing the actual plan, as opposed to what we think they'll do. And the only reason it hasn't happened yet is that ... man, one never knows if there's another Ron Hextall out there or, for that matter, if there's a trade of bad contracts to be had. Think Tanner Pearson for Erik Gudbranson, an exchange that actually helped both the Canucks and Penguins for a spell.

• Remember when Tristan Jarry told a group of reporters after the season finale in Columbus that he'd been battling through a recurring injury for months? Remember how we all wondered why in hell Mike Sullivan would start him in a totally meaningless game? Remember how I speculated from that scene that night that Sullivan wouldn't appreciate Jarry sharing such a thing in that specific setting? ... Well, let's just say that some speculation occasionally pans out.

• I have so many more good stories from that night, but we've got a long summer ahead. I'll spread them out, I promise. How's one each week sound?

• Much would have to change for Jarry to be the Penguins' starter in the 2023-24 season. Very much.

• Much would have to be processed about Ryan Poehling, too, and his own ongoing health issue -- which I know but am not yet at liberty to divulge -- but he's very much a candidate to be brought back provided there's evidence the issue can be deemed manageable. And my goodness, the Penguins should certainly hope it is. He's young, fast, capable of contributing at both ends and a great kid. Everything they need.”

Reactions: Zbynek

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
14th+Pickering for an unsigned Helle seems like such an insane overpay. With 1 trade you're getting rid of all the Pens trade assets. Unless Helle wants to sign for under 7.5 AAV (he wont), I have no interest in him.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
My preference is really to keep both 14th and Pickering. We're so barren in prospects it's ridiculous...whoever they pick at 14th is pretty likely to fight for a job this year. And our D-core is so shit that unless Helle is signing, as verbalized by others, I have zero desire to move Pickering

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I guess Jake Guentzel must have been widely discussed elsewhere yesterday in places I don’t have access lol…let’s hope some our crack journalists in Pittsburgh ask some questions about his long term future as a Pen in Dubas’ presser today…

Also, another poster posted this…from DK’s Friday Insider, which I don’t have access to either…

“PENGUINS

• The plan is to buy out Mikael Granlund. I know that seems obvious, and I know that'll surprise no one. But I'm sharing the actual plan, as opposed to what we think they'll do. And the only reason it hasn't happened yet is that ... man, one never knows if there's another Ron Hextall out there or, for that matter, if there's a trade of bad contracts to be had. Think Tanner Pearson for Erik Gudbranson, an exchange that actually helped both the Canucks and Penguins for a spell.

• Remember when Tristan Jarry told a group of reporters after the season finale in Columbus that he'd been battling through a recurring injury for months? Remember how we all wondered why in hell Mike Sullivan would start him in a totally meaningless game? Remember how I speculated from that scene that night that Sullivan wouldn't appreciate Jarry sharing such a thing in that specific setting? ... Well, let's just say that some speculation occasionally pans out.

• I have so many more good stories from that night, but we've got a long summer ahead. I'll spread them out, I promise. How's one each week sound?

• Much would have to change for Jarry to be the Penguins' starter in the 2023-24 season. Very much.

• Much would have to be processed about Ryan Poehling, too, and his own ongoing health issue -- which I know but am not yet at liberty to divulge -- but he's very much a candidate to be brought back provided there's evidence the issue can be deemed manageable. And my goodness, the Penguins should certainly hope it is. He's young, fast, capable of contributing at both ends and a great kid. Everything they need.”

A lot of nothing with clickbait mixed in there lol

By glad you dont pay for it.

Reactions: Andy99

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
My preference is really to keep both 14th and Pickering. We're so barren in prospects it's ridiculous...whoever they pick at 14th is pretty likely to fight for a job this year. And our D-core is so shit that unless Helle is signing, as verbalized by others, I have zero desire to move Pickering

Ya don't count on that. Even though its a deep draft thats unlikely.

Out of the 2022,2021,2020 and 2019 drafts the only number 14 pick that has played more than 80 games is Cam York and he was the 2019 pick.

The Oilers are still praying and hoping Hollaway does something anytime soone.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
TeAm J. StAaL 4LyFe!!!1

But in all seriousness, I'd welcome Staal back in a heartbeat. I really hate the "don't bring back former Penguins" mantra that people have. Who gives a shit? Staal is consistently a 30-40 EV point player getting similar usage he would get here. He's still a defensive and possession monster. He's not a skull crusher by any means, but he'd have been 3rd among Pens forwards in hits last year behind only Zucker (who he has by like 30lbs) and Archibald (who he has by like 50lbs). On ice, what's not to like?

The only argument against him I can agree with is his age, but until someone can show me a 30 year old or younger C that is available and can provide what he does, I don't see any reason to not be interested.

Jarry extension announcement.
"After further consideration, I realized this team is f***ed. I resign."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad