Post-Game Talk: Pens/Isles Game 1: Home Ice + Good Matchup all for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Jarry was MAF-bad. Rust was awful. Jake was awful. Matheson was awful. Petts had a good 1st period then spent the rest of the game putzing around like a baby giraffe.

Sid, Letang and Kap were great. Stick tap to Carter as well, though he's clearly best suited for the 3C role.

Ah well. Really wanted to go to the Island up 2-0 because we need to take advantage of home ice but y'know. It's Penguins playoff hockey™.

Marc Andre Jurray

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This game should have been a 2-0 or 2-1 win for the Penguins because none of the goals Jarry gave up (specifically in regulation, but can include the OT goal) are goals that a NHL starting goalie should be giving up. Especially not 4 of them in a game.

Reactions: Shaftception

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I will say this is as disappointed as I've felt since Game 5 of the ECF in 2016. Luckily that one went differently.

The powerplay could have changed this game. I laugh at allllllllllll the f***ing "pundits" writing about this series in the last week. All of them f***ing pen to paper a bunch of bullshit. It's always been special teams. We score on the powerplay, we play a different game. If we play into that 1 goal game, the Isles feed off of it and as mentioned - they get better. They thrive in the 1 goal games.

Masssssssssssssssssively disappointed.

What did you seriously expect without a key linchpin? I know it's vogue around these parts and Mark Madden's twitter account to say the Pens don't need 71, but we definitely do in the playoff games that matter. That PP was facing soft teams and McCann scored almost all his PP goals against shit teams. Getting 71 back will help a lot.

I don't get the sky is falling crowd. This isn't the same team, and they don't quit or wilt. Jarry makes 2 basic saves and we walk out with a win. This game is on goaltending and a couple mistakes, which we can't afford to make without Malkin's scoring.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
How the f*** do you not hug the post there

Well, when you are tentative and haven't located the puck well in the previous 60 min... you tend to have bad positioning.

Funny enough, it probably was the only decent chance he gave up. Turnover, close shot, no gap for Petts, and knuckle ball chip.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
not that jarry didn't play well. (the murray curse) but you give shooters that much time and space it wont go well for most goalies
They scored multiple goals on unscreened shots from above those circles. Statistically, a goalie gives up somewhere between 0 and 2 of those a season...

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Just massively disappointed. I guess that's par for the course. When the game is on the line, the Pens don't come through anymore. Maybe the end of the era. Maybe i'm just really pissed off right now.

Pathetic. It just felt that way the whole time. Here's to game 2.

I'd wait to see how the goaltending looks at least in the next game.

We can nitpick every bad aspect of the rest of the team all we want, but truth is even with all that they should've easily won this game if not for some egregiously bad goaltending.

Only question is if that will be the norm or an aberration going forward.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Just caught up on the game, had to pause. Dick move by Rust to push Pelech into the goalie.

Jarry needs to be 100000% better.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I honestly wouldn't be upset if they started CDS if he was healthy. I don't think they can put Legace in net.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This game should have been a 2-0 or 2-1 win for the Penguins because none of the goals Jarry gave up (specifically in regulation, but can include the OT goal) are goals that a NHL starting goalie should be giving up. Especially not 4 of them in a game.
you don't see many 40 save shutouts. Or however many it would have been before OT even.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Goal tending may have been not good but Trotz has made Sullivan his bitch once again...

This is what happens when you don't bring in new coach even after losing 8 of your 9 playoff games and getting embarrassed 2 straight years..this is Bylsma 2.0, great regular season but cannot adapt to the playoffs.

Someone should tell these idiots, theres no shootout in playoff anymore and you will need to score 5 on 5..

Reactions: ericstrat1

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
The series is far from over, obviously it gets more difficult with varly coming back. We should get malkin back.

if goaltending becomes an issue, again, go out and get a Talbot, Keumper, Smith, etc a comfort blanked. But again I’m just some guy on the internet what the f*** do I know.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Every year we blame the goalie but what about the system/team defense? Way less skilled team in the Islanders had 41 shots. We only had 1 more shot while taking way more risk and they trapped. So what's really the issue here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad