Post-Game Talk: Pens/Isles Game 1: Home Ice + Good Matchup all for nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Pens are 1-10 in the playoffs over the last 11 games and 0-4 in OT playoff games since we beat the Sens in game 7 years ago.

Sully
Is
Trash

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean they're 1-10 spanning several goaltenders.

This team is just old, beat, lacks motivation and isn't getting much help to correct any of that from behind the bench. I'm not "blaming" the coach. That's too easy. Just like blaming goaltending is too easy. I'm just saying this team doesn't have IT anymore.

What can ya do?

I don't know if I agree with that. This game didn't feel like the losses versus Montreal or the losses the last time we played the Isles. The Pens played well for the most part and did enough good things in order to win.

Not to overstate it, but this was a game that is on the goalie. You swap goalie performances and the Pens win this game. Sorokin didn't "gift" the Pens any freebies. Jarry arguably gifted the Isles 4.

We'll see how they respond in Game 2. But based off of today, I think the Pens had a better showing than they have in any of the recent playoff debacles.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Yeah, Bishop is the best example IMO but there are plenty you can throw out. Varlamov and Lehner are also really good examples to mention.

There are more options than paying an assload for Price vs going cheap with someone like Jarry or Murray. There's an entire middle ground of solid and reliable starters that can fit in this team's cap structure.
Ullmark is the guy I'd target, assuming the Pens are interesting to getting another G (Jarry & DeSmith are both still under contract). If you could run Ullmark + Jarry for a combined 7mil, that's a pretty strong tandem. Ullmark could be an absolute beast if he could stay healthy, but we'd have Jarry anyway if he weren't able to.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah, Bishop is the best example IMO but there are plenty you can throw out. Varlamov and Lehner are also really good examples to mention.

There are more options than paying an assload for Price vs going cheap with someone like Jarry or Murray. There's an entire middle ground of solid and reliable starters that can fit in this team's cap structure.
Or we can just let Jarry get his experience and not give up after his first year as starter. I believe he was .918 from the end of his bad start til the end of the year. All those goalies you mentioned got their chance in the playoffs. Now Jarry is gonna get his.

We don't know what we have yet. It's too soon to make those decisions.

Reactions: T1K

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This Pens kind of deserve to lose after not canning Sully for the Habs fiasco series loss.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
speaking of goaltending, if anyone is watching Knights-Wild, the goaltending duo has been stellar....

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
I don't know, I'm not even sure I give a shit either way, win or lose. I just want to be entertained. This team hasn't been entertaining in the playoffs for years. Whether it's Sullivan being a dipshit, Murray/Jarry shooting the team in the foot, or the forwards coming up empty, it's been a quiet past few trips to the post season. I don't think my pulse cracked 80 today. :laugh:

I'd like to see things gel and the team make a run, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't get a big kick out of this team flaming out again in the 1st round and the chaos that'd ensue. :laugh:

I can't see management keeping Sullivan if this is another 1st round exit. Maybe they should bring in his mentor, Torts. That would make things interesting here.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens got a lesson in playoff hockey. Goal tending was just not good enough today. But goalies can be better with getting better as the series goes along. That is my hope anyway. But man Sully just has a roster of forwards and D men that may not be as good as needed in the playoffs. We will see but Sully to me is on the clock to a degree since he wants what he wants. Hextall and Burke like the team but were limited to make the kinds of changes they wanted. If a veteran seasoned team just can't start to win games here, that will make for a interesting off season. It is how they play and how they win or lose that will go along way with roster moves as the core is possibly done being cup contenders as currently constructed.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Point to one single thing that he could have adjusted today that would make up for Jarry shitting the bed

The power play. :laugh:

I also think he should be able to get this team to focus when they need to. That's all I'm asking from him, I'm not asking him to take responsibility for Jarry reverting to early season form or ZAR forgetting how to play or even Marino forgetting how to skate.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We'll see how they respond in Game 2. But based off of today, I think the Pens had a better showing than they have in any of the recent playoff debacles.

I'm sorry to cherry pick... but that's a low bar lol -- but fair enough.

Also, I faded a bit for most of the first and second, but didn't we seem to be falling back into bad early season habits as far as structure goes?

Oh yeah.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'd be satisfied with our goalie just not blowing games for us.

I don't think Jarry blew the game (note: I don't think he played at all good either), he just didn't give us an advantage. OT would have ended pretty quick on that Huberdeau shot if he hadn't gotten a piece of it, for example. But you can't piss away 15 minutes of OT in the playoffs the way the Pens did either and expect to make it anywhere, even if we had won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad