Post-Game Talk: Pens/Isles Game 1: Home Ice + Good Matchup all for nothing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Hopefully Jarry shakes off the playoff jitters emotionally and just play the game. Get that rap game over with and move on!

Super Luigi

Jul 13, 2019
I feel bad for Jarry. Kid made some big saves, but let in too many soft goals. Out of those four he should have stopped at least two.

Our PP has to start producing. I also believe a whole week without games had a negative effect.

Well, let's get them in game #2!

P.s Fleury is absolutely outstanding. I hope he retires as a Penguin some day.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He also won 9 series in a row.

I agree he's not getting it done in the playoffs anymore, but I could also easily see the Rangers in over us with a different, worse coach. Would that have been preferable?
If we lose in the first round then yea, it would have been far better for the Pens to not make the playoffs.

If it was up to Mike Sullivan, guys like Gaudreau, Big Z, Angello etc wouldn’t have even played. He would have been happy with Laff, Jank and Sceviour, but injuries ruined his dreams.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Maybe I have my timeline off, but haven't we started to see bad goalie performances more regularly ever since the Pens switched from Bales to Buckley?

to be fair though, we have only won one PO series since MAF and Kunitz departed too...cause and effect? Lol

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Jarry's first goal against was the worst, his second the second worst, his third shortly after the third worst, and the OT goal the least worst.

So as you can see he's getting better every goal against...

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I agree he's not getting it done in the playoffs anymore, but I could also easily see the Rangers in over us with a different, worse coach. Would that have been preferable?

I'm gonna drop a hot take, so reader beware if you don't like the spice. But if we're going to go out in the 1st (I still think we'll right the ship) AGAIN, I'd have preferred we did a mini-rebuild and did some house cleaning this year, all things being equal. At some point, the gambler's fallacy just isn't a good justification for the status quo.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm gonna drop a hot take, so reader beware if you don't like the spice. But if we're going to go out in the 1st (I still think we'll right the ship) AGAIN, I'd have preferred we did a mini-rebuild and did some house cleaning this year, all things being equal. At some point, the gambler's fallacy just isn't a good justification for the status quo.

Well yeah but I mean... they brought in Todd Reirden!

THE Todd Reirden!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Jarry's first goal against was the worst, his second the second worst, his third shortly after the third worst, and the OT goal the least worst.

So as you can see he's getting better every goal against...

lol...man, your positivity among the worst negativity is impressive

Reactions: Crosbyfan

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't know, I'm not even sure I give a shit either way, win or lose. I just want to be entertained. This team hasn't been entertaining in the playoffs for years. Whether it's Sullivan being a dipshit, Murray/Jarry shooting the team in the foot, or the forwards coming up empty, it's been a quiet past few trips to the post season. I don't think my pulse cracked 80 today. :laugh:

I'd like to see things gel and the team make a run, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't get a big kick out of this team flaming out again in the 1st round and the chaos that'd ensue. :laugh:

I hate that I still end up spending hours after a playoff game brooding on the loss. I should be over this after the two recent cup wins but it's hard to let losses go without dwelling on them. I know @ColePens is the same way and he'll be thinking about this loss all night lol.

It's just tough because I think we all thought this team would be different. Maybe they will still prove to be but they gotta show me. I wasn't expecting a championship coming into this playoffs but another first round playoff loss would hurt.

Reactions: ColePens and Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I agree both that we'll recover in this series and that a mini-rebuild would be fine at this stage.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
you can’t say we wouldn’t have made the POs with another coach...while hockey is more about the players overall, it’s much more about the players in the RS (as I’m sure McDavid would attest)
Blows my mind that anyone still attributes this team making the playoffs to coaching. We had a mobile blueline, Letang played like a legit Norris finalist, and Sid's line killed awful teams like Buffalo, NJ and the Flyers all season long.

Wowee, Sully! What a great job! Jack Adams to you, Mr. Genius Tactician!

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

He won those series now 4 and 5 years ago; that’s an eternity in sports. The Golden Knights weren’t even in the league the last time Sully was a good coach in the playoffs.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
you can’t say we wouldn’t have made the POs with another coach...while hockey is more about the players overall, it’s much more about the players in the RS (as I’m sure McDavid would attest)
Think that's a distinct possibility in that scenario though. Another coach is gonna get this much out of the Pens with these injuries?

Highly unlikely for me.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The PP finished 4th in the NHL. He did fix it.

But not when it counts. :laugh: That's what I've been on all season. They have moments against bad teams where it looks like it's coming back, and then... it vanishes.

We wouldn't take that as a job well done from a contractor or a mechanic, would we?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I hate that I still end up spending hours after a playoff game brooding on the loss. I should be over this after the two recent cup wins but it's hard to let losses go without dwelling on them. I know @ColePens is the same way and he'll be thinking about this loss all night lol.

It's just tough because I think we all thought this team would be different. Maybe they will still prove to be but they gotta show me. I wasn't expecting a championship coming into this playoffs but another first round playoff loss would hurt.
Yeah I dunno. The last 15-months or so of the pandemic really took the whole "seriously emotionally invested/mad after losses" thing right outta me. I could watch this team get swept and not give a shit. So long as they lose in entertaining fashion, it's whatever. If they continue to bungle things and look bad doing it, I won't be anything but bored. :laugh:

Reactions: HandshakeLine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad