Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah I wanted Larsson up as back up over Ned. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Ned, he just isn't a goalie I trust and the other option you can't trust at all since he doesn't even trust himself right now and Blomqvist needs at least 1 capable goalie behind him. Felt Larsson had a far better camp than Ned did and Jarry's was something we were all skeptical about. Ned has been allowing 3+ and has carried over his play from last season too and that isn't actually a good thing, Jarry looks so much worse which made Ned look better by comparison.

I would have sent Jarry down and called up Larsson instead of this idiotic "plan" Sullivan keeps jabbering on about that hasn't fixed much of anything. I would have kept Blomqvist, Larsson, And Ned up on the road trip and sent Jarry down to play some games and get work in with Tisi.

Ned is a hot mess against both teams and Blomqvist has been damn good but with a small sample size. I'd definitely go Blomqvist for this game though. See how they can minimize shots and then go Blomqvist tomorrow as well as he's been off long enough to be ok for a back to back.
Yep. Ned isn't as good as this fan base makes him out to be. They hate Jarry so much that they're determined to support anyone else who replaces him. He's not some bonafide starter quality goalie.
He's someone who should get like 30 games and one who might give you league average numbers at best.

I haven't seen a lot of Blom, but his movement and mentality to me suggests he has a higher ceiling. It's Price body language. Not that he's gonna be that level, but the foundation to be a proper starter seems to be there.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
No fan base despises its own players as much as this one, the mere mention of Fleury still triggers blokes here like they were in net and had to go through the shit he did and act as if he did it on purpose. It’s such a shitty thing to see, I don’t even see it from the fan bases we deem some of the worst in this sport on this board.

Then there’s the stuff about Malkin last year, which for me was just something that really pissed me off, because it went back to some shitty narrative of “lazy Russians” or “European players are lazy” narrative again, brought me back to being at games when we had Zubov and some of the vile shit I would hear from fans regardless of where we sat or where we were during intermission, then when Hatcher came over, it was this different tone about how they should have always had the American players, that mentality still exists. A N.A player isn’t a lazy player for not being there in his development or playing well in a system or used poorly or just not good enough to play at this level after being on several teams and different opportunities. But Euro players, they have to earn the right to not have that thought about them still to this day.

Goalies, easy to shit on by everyone, but it gets so personal for a lot it’s ridiculous. Fleury went on to win a Vezina away from this team and is still crapped on, Murray I hope rebounds and he has a chance to be in the NHL with the Leafs back up shit show right now, etc, right now this weird take that Jarry decided to lose confidence in his game on purpose because of some really poorly phrased comments about how he prepares, which they then had to double back and explain it wasn’t that he didn’t train hard or anything of that sort, just “their idea” of being prepared which of course, Mike Sullivan refuses to ever elaborate on anything.

Even saying Ned, who has struggled this season as well, isn’t good enough right now behind this awful team defense, has to be placated with a remark towards Jarry first.

I still hope to see Ex Pens succeed, personally, Fleury, Gustavsson, Addison, Sprong, Blueger, Murray, POJ, Kapanen, etc. To actively be so bitter towards them and enjoying their downfall is just so shitty to me. What would I get out of seeing them fail? Some weird satisfaction that I was right about disliking a player so much that I hoped they’d fail and their downfall would vindicate me on a message board with fellow haters?

We joke, a lot, about players playing poorly but the jokes with Letang vs say stuff about Jarry, there’s a huge difference. Malkin struggling last year was such a huge issue to a lot of blokes here and the media, Crosby being far worse to start this season is less of one, some things stay the same…

It reminds me of Leafs fans still going out of their way to constantly go on about Dubas destroying their lives.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yep. Ned isn't as good as this fan base makes him out to be. They hate Jarry so much that they're determined to support anyone else who replaces him. He's not some bonafide starter quality goalie.
He's someone who should get like 30 games and one who might give you league average numbers at best.

I haven't seen a lot of Blom, but his movement and mentality to me suggests he has a higher ceiling. It's Price body language. Not that he's gonna be that level, but the foundation to be a proper starter seems to be there.
Ned is absolutely awful at the high danger chances, Blomqvist has been the best of the 3 and the goalie that is on average the worst of the 3, is even better than him at that - High Danger Shots. Ned also is getting the benefit of less shots faced vs Blomqvist and still isn’t good enough to play over him and yet he is for some reason, but anytime this is mentioned someone will excitedly reply “YEAH BUT HE’S BETTER THAN JARRY!” Well..yeah, but it doesn’t mean there aren’t some things he’s got to be better at still.

Last edited:
Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Ned doesn't need to be good, just like Mike Johnston didn't need to be good.

His value lies in that he represents a change from an option that clearly does not and will not work.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Ned doesn't need to be good, just like Mike Johnston didn't need to be good.

His value lies in that he represents a change from an option that clearly does not and will not work.
Ned’s average isn’t good enough either, especially when the high danger scoring chances this team allows, he’s the worst goalie on the roster when facing them. So Blomqvist is the best option and I would have tried Larsson as the 3rd goalie with the team and sent down Jarry to accommodate that move - also allowing him to play games in WBS and work on his game.

Those are unfortunately just literally the facts.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
No fan base despises its own players as much as this one, the mere mention of Fleury still triggers blokes here like they were in net and had to go through the shit he did and act as if he did it on purpose. It’s such a shitty thing to see, I don’t even see it from the fan bases we deem some of the worst in this sport on this board.

Then there’s the stuff about Malkin last year, which for me was just something that really pissed me off, because it went back to some shitty narrative of “lazy Russians” or “European players are lazy” narrative again, brought me back to being at games when we had Zubov and some of the vile shit I would hear from fans regardless of where we sat or where we were during intermission, then when Hatcher came over, it was this different tone about how they should have always had the American players, that mentality still exists. A N.A player isn’t a lazy player for not being there in his development or playing well in a system or used poorly or just not good enough to play at this level after being on several teams and different opportunities. But Euro players, they have to earn the right to not have that thought about them still to this day.

Goalies, easy to shit on by everyone, but it gets so personal for a lot it’s ridiculous. Fleury went on to win a Vezina away from this team and is still crapped on, Murray I hope rebounds and he has a chance to be in the NHL with the Leafs back up shit show right now, etc, right now this weird take that Jarry decided to lose confidence in his game on purpose because of some really poorly phrased comments about how he prepares, which they then had to double back and explain it wasn’t that he didn’t train hard or anything of that sort, just “their idea” of being prepared which of course, Mike Sullivan refuses to ever elaborate on anything.

Even saying Ned, who has struggled this season as well, isn’t good enough right now behind this awful team defense, has to be placated with a remark towards Jarry first.

I still hope to see Ex Pens succeed, personally, Fleury, Gustavsson, Addison, Sprong, Blueger, Murray, POJ, Kapanen, etc. To actively be so bitter towards them and enjoying their downfall is just so shitty to me. What would I get out of seeing them fail? Some weird satisfaction that I was right about disliking a player so much that I hoped they’d fail and their downfall would vindicate me on a message board with fellow haters?

We joke, a lot, about players playing poorly but the jokes with Letang vs say stuff about Jarry, there’s a huge difference. Malkin struggling last year was such a huge issue to a lot of blokes here and the media, Crosby being far worse to start this season is less of one, some things stay the same…

It reminds me of Leafs fans still going out of their way to constantly go on about Dubas destroying their lives.
Trade Sid

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Ned makes 2 mil. He could be the 60th best goalie in the league and he is largely getting paid value.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
What I absolutely loathe about Mike Sullivan is that he says the same shit when his assistants are fired because of his dumb ass, that it’s his fault. Said it after Sarge, Rex, and Martin were fired, then again when Reirden was fired 4yrs later. Yet nothing changes, he’s quite literally admitting it even and he keeps getting away with it.

Every now and then, to re-read this article and I laugh at how much of a hypocrite and liar Sullivan is…

“It might come as a surprise that Sullivan is so adamant about building/investing more in constructing an AHL roster as he has taken flack for barely giving the AHL Penguins’ call-ups — and young players like Jonathan Gruden — much of an opportunity in terms of ice time.

“‘This is a (Sullivan) thing more than whoever the new (GM) is, … and right now (Sullivan) has the hammer with the Fenway guys,’ one NHL source told InsideAHLHockey.com a few weeks ago.”

Keeping in mind, this is right before Dubas was hired but its been known forever, Sullivan has always had a ton of say more than anyone else in the NHL as a Head Coach yet always seems to go unscathed for the issues of getting the wrong players, using them incorrectly, etc. This is where I don’t even know why Dubas took the job knowing he doesn’t have as much say as he thought outside of hires and some trades, etc. I still think he took the job for the title to make it easier to get it again elsewhere since he’s actually done a good enough job with the hires for scouting and other levels of Hockey Ops. I wonder if the job was offered to several GM’s and they knew the situation and said no thanks to Dubas and he had to take on that job too. I mean you’d have to be stupid to know Sullivan has always had a lot of control and then what happened to JR and Hextall and think yeah I want that job, won’t happen to me! Lol.

Also, knowing that - It’s why I say Dubas likely didn’t make the decision on Jarry and Graves, those were far too quick of moves for Dubas to make coming in and deciding in 3 weeks, those seemed like things Sullivan left him on his to do list with Fenway’s support.

Because when you know the above, then you remember this…
“Jim and I have always been believers in a combination of youth with our veteran leaders,” Sullivan said. “Usually those guys are hungry and enthusiastic and trying to prove themselves and establish themselves. That enthusiasm can be contagious. When you look at our teams that have had success, we’ve had that combination. That’s something that we talk about a lot as a hockey operations staff.”

Will Sullivan and Rutherford actually follow? And will they make the right moves to get there?

I guess the mistake we all made was that he meant the 4th line and sometimes the 3rd line veterans, back in 2020 after the 2019-20 season.

I wouldn’t even put it past a weasel like Mike Sullivan to put it into Fenway’s ears that this is the result of the players Dubas chose to add to his roster, hoping they don’t remember the last few years where he’s used the same excuse for 2 other GM’s. And yes, I call him a weasel because to do the things he’s done - Going behind his GM’s back to negotiate a contract, the shit with Cole, the shit with Kessel and Malkin, the way he cuts minutes to young players, etc, that’s a weasel. At least the version of him that works in the NHL, probably a nice bloke away from the game.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Trade Sid
Lol, that was the shit blokes were saying about Geno last year.

I wouldn’t even move Hayes until Sullivan is fired and a new coach is at least there for a couple of weeks to see what he could do with this roster first. I always felt he got the least out of his roster since 2018.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think he was nearly as bad as a lot of people made him out to be, just kinda invisible and looked like a rookie which is expected with a non-foundational prospect, and I still think it's weird that we saw a McG-Eller-Puljujarvi 3rd line do really well in pre-season just for shit to immediately get scrapped once the season started. :laugh:
It's weird only if you don't know who's behind the bench.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I wonder what the line-up is if Glass misses the Canucks game with his illness. It will definitely be the choices you’d never expect or what a rational coach would do, but curious nonetheless.

Not that I think Glass has been bad, he hasn’t been good either with his production, still a problem, but he’s strong defensively which isn’t a surprise to anyone but he’s not a fit for the 3rd line. They function as a 4th line with Eller and Beauvillier. In the Flames game, he was put back with Hayes and Acciari and they scored. It’s where he fits best. He has 3 assists in 8 games, 2 of them with Hayes and Acciari and the other was with Eller but mostly from a play where he reversed it back to Karlsson and then Karlsson did the rest with getting it on net and Eller was there to bang it home.

He’s not ready for that 3rd line, but that 4th line is strong with him.

It's weird only if you don't know who's behind the bench.
I mean the way they were deployed was so different to the way they were in the regular season. Mind you, I felt he should have been in WBS to start the season and they just wasted his time with idiotic usage and minutes on the 3rd line.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I wonder what the line-up is if Glass misses the Canucks game with his illness. It will definitely be the choices you’d never expect or what a rational coach would do, but curious nonetheless.

I mean the way they were deployed was so different to the way they were in the regular season. Mind you, I felt he should have been in WBS to start the season and they just wasted his time with idiotic usage and minutes on the 3rd line.
Whenever we have a line that clicks in preseason or whatever and is immediately broken up for no reason, I just assume it was because the line was suggested by one of the ACs and not Sullivan.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
Sacramento, CA
Why do i feel like years ago someone asked Sullivan about working lines being broken up and he kinda said like they want to see what other combos do...

... I swear something along those effects

Like dude, take the things working over breaking momentum to try other things that may not pan out

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Whenever we have a line that clicks in preseason or whatever and is immediately broken up for no reason, I just assume it was because the line was suggested by one of the ACs and not Sullivan.
I don’t think it was even that. He was with Eller and JP to start, for 2 games, but then they were changed because Sullivan had the brilliant idea to healthy scratch Puljujarvi for Doc and moved the wrong winger to his off wing, Doc is used to being RW far more than Rutger especially at the NHL level.

His minutes weren’t even that bad, but it’s the way he was deployed, his bench management was beyond moronic. I think in the Rangers game for example, he didn’t play a shift for what felt like half the 2nd period. He would go long stretches without a shift so you barely can build momentum when that happens, especially as a rookie. It’s something Sullivan does a lot with young players and then wonders why they can’t show some stronger shifts…I don’t know maybe because when they get a shift, they have to wait almost 10mins to get another if they’re lucky.

In the Pre-season, Rutger was also good with Doc.

The issue was how quickly they abandoned that line so early. They were very good against the Rangers, a game with very little bright spots. Then vs the Wings they weren’t, but you would assume they would get at least another game to rebound especially after a win, but nah…they healthy scratched Puljujarvi to put Doc on the 3rd line LW and McG as the RW. It’s funnier knowing Puljujarvi played well in the game vs the Wings, go to an Assist and somehow was the healthy scratch, which made zero sense and even less sense when you look at the Leafs game where Beauvillier was one of the worst players on the team, yet he kept getting top line minutes, lol. Sullivan “logic.”

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I was definitely mistaken, they didn’t play together in the pre-season games from what I could find - McG-Eller-Puljujarvi. Puljujarvi and McGroarty did play together for 2 games though and looked good together.

@HandshakeLine - The Pre-season game against the CBJ where they won 3-1 or whatever it was, it was McGroarty, Hayes, Puljujarvi.

Then the other pre-season games.

Vs Wings: McGroarty, Hayes, Glass (Pens lost 2-1)
Vs Wings: McGroarty, Acciari, Puljujarvi (Pens won 5-1)
Vs Buffalo: McGroarty, Hayes, Glass (Pens lost 3-2)
Vs Buffalo: McGroarty, O’Connor, Glass (Sabres destroyed them)

It’s why I thought Hayes was going to be a C, it’s more odd that they kept him with Hayes for 3 of the 5 he played and the season starts and they put him with a C he didn’t play with, Eller. I didn’t mind that McG-Hayes-Glass line as like a 4th line, it had the speed from Glass and the size all around to do something, but it was never tried in the season.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Why do i feel like years ago someone asked Sullivan about working lines being broken up and he kinda said like they want to see what other combos do...

... I swear something along those effects

Like dude, take the things working over breaking momentum to try other things that may not pan out
I remember something similar, I think for that part I am remembering the Kessel situation.

Guentzel, Crosby, Kessel were a thing for a bit and were fantastic, but then Sullivan quickly changed it for literally zero reason but to force Kessel back with Malkin and then wanted them to play a way that wasn’t suited to either player and created a massive rift. That trio though, Jake-Sid-Phil, was fantastic for that stretch.

Also for I think the Horny and Bjug duo in the playoffs, he just kept changing things for no reason, even when things worked, he would just change it up. That season he also kept trying to make Brass and Phil a thing, neither player were a fit and he didn’t want Phil to play with Sid even though they were good and even if they cooled off for a game, to break them up and not try again? That is the season where I really wasn’t a fan of Sully anymore, just the shit he caused throughout the season was ridiculous.

Edit: Found the usage, if you look at the Jake-Sid-Phil line for 9 games, he did it for 9 and then before giving it a chance to get better or even get worse, he split them up. He went balls deep for Simon with Sid over Kessel, I think that was the season he was starting to just do the most random shit and likely really missed Tocchet’s input or rather voice of “No Mike, that’s stupid.”

Sullivan would go on to tank lines consistently after that, the Rangers and the Spicy Pork series was a good one. He had lines that worked but then he would change them for literally no reason, it was even funnier to see how the Jake-Geno-Rust line was far more dominant immediately than with Sid and Sullivan couldn’t let his ego go with that, it could have won him the series. Also kept dicking around with the Brock-Carter-ERod line and destroyed the 4th line entirely with how he used Blueger’s line. I had wanted Zucker with Blueger for a while, felt they were great together when they had a shift together, in the playoffs that year, they had 2 games together with McGinn, as a trio they were fantastic, but yeah, 2 games…then Sullivan switched it up.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BusinessGoose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad