Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yeah I wanted Larsson up as back up over Ned. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Ned, he just isn't a goalie I trust and the other option you can't trust at all since he doesn't even trust himself right now and Blomqvist needs at least 1 capable goalie behind him. Felt Larsson had a far better camp than Ned did and Jarry's was something we were all skeptical about. Ned has been allowing 3+ and has carried over his play from last season too and that isn't actually a good thing, Jarry looks so much worse which made Ned look better by comparison.

I would have sent Jarry down and called up Larsson instead of this idiotic "plan" Sullivan keeps jabbering on about that hasn't fixed much of anything. I would have kept Blomqvist, Larsson, And Ned up on the road trip and sent Jarry down to play some games and get work in with Tisi.

Ned is a hot mess against both teams and Blomqvist has been damn good but with a small sample size. I'd definitely go Blomqvist for this game though. See how they can minimize shots and then go Blomqvist tomorrow as well as he's been off long enough to be ok for a back to back.
Yep. Ned isn't as good as this fan base makes him out to be. They hate Jarry so much that they're determined to support anyone else who replaces him. He's not some bonafide starter quality goalie.
He's someone who should get like 30 games and one who might give you league average numbers at best.

I haven't seen a lot of Blom, but his movement and mentality to me suggests he has a higher ceiling. It's Price body language. Not that he's gonna be that level, but the foundation to be a proper starter seems to be there.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
No fan base despises its own players as much as this one, the mere mention of Fleury still triggers blokes here like they were in net and had to go through the shit he did and act as if he did it on purpose. It’s such a shitty thing to see, I don’t even see it from the fan bases we deem some of the worst in this sport on this board.

Then there’s the stuff about Malkin last year, which for me was just something that really pissed me off, because it went back to some shitty narrative of “lazy Russians” or “European players are lazy” narrative again, brought me back to being at games when we had Zubov and some of the vile shit I would hear from fans regardless of where we sat or where we were during intermission, then when Hatcher came over, it was this different tone about how they should have always had the American players, that mentality still exists. A N.A player isn’t a lazy player for not being there in his development or playing well in a system or used poorly or just not good enough to play at this level after being on several teams and different opportunities. But Euro players, they have to earn the right to not have that thought about them still to this day.

Goalies, easy to shit on by everyone, but it gets so personal for a lot it’s ridiculous. Fleury went on to win a Vezina away from this team and is still crapped on, Murray I hope rebounds and he has a chance to be in the NHL with the Leafs back up shit show right now, etc, right now this weird take that Jarry decided to lose confidence in his game on purpose because of some really poorly phrased comments about how he prepares, which they then had to double back and explain it wasn’t that he didn’t train hard or anything of that sort, just “their idea” of being prepared which of course, Mike Sullivan refuses to ever elaborate on anything.

Even saying Ned, who has struggled this season as well, isn’t good enough right now behind this awful team defense, has to be placated with a remark towards Jarry first.

I still hope to see Ex Pens succeed, personally, Fleury, Gustavsson, Addison, Sprong, Blueger, Murray, POJ, Kapanen, etc. To actively be so bitter towards them and enjoying their downfall is just so shitty to me. What would I get out of seeing them fail? Some weird satisfaction that I was right about disliking a player so much that I hoped they’d fail and their downfall would vindicate me on a message board with fellow haters?

We joke, a lot, about players playing poorly but the jokes with Letang vs say stuff about Jarry, there’s a huge difference. Malkin struggling last year was such a huge issue to a lot of blokes here and the media, Crosby being far worse to start this season is less of one, some things stay the same…

It reminds me of Leafs fans still going out of their way to constantly go on about Dubas destroying their lives.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Yep. Ned isn't as good as this fan base makes him out to be. They hate Jarry so much that they're determined to support anyone else who replaces him. He's not some bonafide starter quality goalie.
He's someone who should get like 30 games and one who might give you league average numbers at best.

I haven't seen a lot of Blom, but his movement and mentality to me suggests he has a higher ceiling. It's Price body language. Not that he's gonna be that level, but the foundation to be a proper starter seems to be there.
Ned is absolutely awful at the high danger chances, Blomqvist has been the best of the 3 and the goalie that is on average the worst of the 3, is even better than him at that - High Danger Shots. Ned also is getting the benefit of less shots faced vs Blomqvist and still isn’t good enough to play over him and yet he is for some reason, but anytime this is mentioned someone will excitedly reply “YEAH BUT HE’S BETTER THAN JARRY!” Well..yeah, but it doesn’t mean there aren’t some things he’s got to be better at still.

Last edited:
Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Ned doesn't need to be good, just like Mike Johnston didn't need to be good.

His value lies in that he represents a change from an option that clearly does not and will not work.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Ned doesn't need to be good, just like Mike Johnston didn't need to be good.

His value lies in that he represents a change from an option that clearly does not and will not work.
Ned’s average isn’t good enough either, especially when the high danger scoring chances this team allows, he’s the worst goalie on the roster when facing them. So Blomqvist is the best option and I would have tried Larsson as the 3rd goalie with the team and sent down Jarry to accommodate that move - also allowing him to play games in WBS and work on his game.

Those are unfortunately just literally the facts.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->