Salary Cap: Pens '24-'25 Salary Thread: The Crosbicles Volume XIX

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not going to get too deep into the same debates that keep happening over and over again, but I think the "Brunicke should have stayed up and St. Ivany should have been sent down" is purely a hindsight reaction based on St. Ivany's early season struggles. I think most people were completely content (or as content as you can be with this shitty defense) with the D pairs they were running with and the decision to send Brunicke back to juniors.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not going to get too deep into the same debates that keep happening over and over again, but I think the "Brunicke should have stayed up and St. Ivany should have been sent down" is purely a hindsight reaction based on St. Ivany's early season struggles. I think most people were completely content (or as content as you can be with this shitty defense) with the D pairs they were running with and the decision to send Brunicke back to juniors.

If the team is truly focused on a "youth" movement than they should be playing the best players regardless of contract status.

Brunicke was our 3rd best RHD. Shea and JSI are replacement level. I was advocating for JSI to get minutes last year, but he was clearly outplayed in camp.

If you want to extend that to Poulin and Puustinen, then I am fine, but McGroarty getting 3 games is the opposite of it IMO.

Reactions: BillyOcean

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I listened to the portion where he talked about the Pens-Jets game and he does actually say what's in the quote. Likened it to the Samsonov situation with Toronto last year where he might get time off to work on his game (but not necessarily game action).

They also played some audio from the game where the Jets fans were chanting "Where is Rutger?" And "Yagers better". I didn't pick up on that during the broadcast. Kind of cringe since he wasn't even in the building but I get it from their perspective. Freidman said he got the feeling that some of the Jets players had this game circled on their calendar :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's definitely a stretch but I wonder if him not going on waivers is an indication that they think they may be able to trade him for something.

That being said, I also feel like purely getting out of Jarry's deal is a win in value so I'm not sure why Dubas wouldn't try waiving him first.
I would be shocked if Dubas hasn't made a couple of calls putting a few feelers out there. Colorado, for sure. Perhaps LA and maybe even Detroit.

Trades right now are just so tough. And Freidman is spot on - with his struggles, it's going to make trading him tough. You MIGHT be able to do a swap with Krueper or Husso but that is just rearranging the Titanic's deck chairs.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Was skimming a post about Leonsis' new book because it talks about Backstrom asking to be traded after the 2016-17 Penguins beat the Caps again in the playoffs (lol), and buried there was a quote from GM George McPhee that basically said "Coaches have to learn to coach the guys they're given, not constantly be handed the guys they want." And man, I wish that were the case here. :laugh:

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Just getting rid of him would be fine by me
Considering what the Penguins got paid to take Kevin Hayes, I think that market "being tough" means you have to be giving up good assets or taking back something like a Darnell Nurse or Jonathan Huberdeau.

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012

Friedman just posts the most obvious shit. Has that fat twat ever said anything that was breaking news? I still f***ing despise him for the Malkin rumors he made up.

Everyone knows he should be in wbs. Sullivan is a dipshit. The sky is f***ing blue.

Some moderator better do something about these ads. Rolling ads blocking half the page and video blocking another quarter page. It's getting a lil out of effin hand around here.
Use Brave or a better ad blocker mate.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Was skimming a post about Leonsis' new book because it talks about Backstrom asking to be traded after the 2016-17 Penguins beat the Caps again in the playoffs (lol), and buried there was a quote from GM George McPhee that basically said "Coaches have to learn to coach the guys they're given, not constantly be handed the guys they want." And man, I wish that were the case here. :laugh:
That is 100% the issue the Penguins are in. It's funny that the Caps understand that and the Penguins can't and I think it's because as much as we despise the Caps and Ted, as an owner he's not sitting there being BFF's with the coach like FSG.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I would be shocked if Dubas hasn't made a couple of calls putting a few feelers out there. Colorado, for sure. Perhaps LA and maybe even Detroit.

Trades right now are just so tough. And Freidman is spot on - with his struggles, it's going to make trading him tough. You MIGHT be able to do a swap with Krueper or Husso but that is just rearranging the Titanic's deck chairs.
It's hard to trade a goalie that needs to work his way out of his funk without playing him and playing him right now is an automatic loss so the logical thing to do was demote him and if by some weird miracle a team claimed him, what's the fear in that? I don't think they are scared of that though. He shouldn't be travelling with the team, Dubas needs to take Jarry as an option away from Sully and let him play in wbs and build his game back up. He has some good to work from but the bad stuff, just a f***ton more of the bad.

Also blaming Dubas for Jarry's contract is moronic. He made it clear when he was hired he would discuss with Sullivan and Chiodo on keeping Jarry. But that also lies with the comments about playing the players you're given vs want sometimes. Dubas fell into the same trap as JR and Hextall.

Reactions: SEALBound

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The point is more so that we've specifically created a team that has no spots open to competition.

Once again, look at Calgary's roster. They are giving young players minutes. They are in the same purgatory we are, but they are making intelligent moves based on their future when they trade assets and focusing on creating an environment of development on their NHL squad.

What exactly is our NHL squad?

Who on the roster is contributing to long term success?

Where is the hope?
Dubas wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wants to play the Beauvilliers and the Hayeses so he can generate value with them and then flip them for picks at the tdl and keep building our system.

But the obvious flaw in that plan is it does block younger players that we already have from getting a look.

Best I can say as far "where is the hope" is that injuries are bound to happen and once they do we will see Poulin, Gruden, etc. Whether that's enough to give you any hope will depend on how happy you are with them coming up and playing the 8 minutes a night that Sullivan is bound to give them.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And the lie detector test determined THAT was a lie. I put you on ignore for months and it's blissful. I take you off and what's the first thing I see from you? Yet another post eight months later, STILL bitching about the Guentzel trade.

You aren't here to talk about hockey. You're here to bitch. That's it.
Great post! Well stated!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Feels like a fantasy more than reality

Their legacies aren't going to be soiled because they stuck with Pittsburgh until the end. Silliness.
Let's look at the facts ok. They have won three cups, and that's an amazing feat particularly as they were integral in doing so. Sid and Geno took turns being best player in the world along with AO for a decade. I doubt anyone would disagree but you can say that's an informed opinion. Back to facts. Crosby has not won a playoff series since he was 30! He's now 37! That's a long time to not win a playoff series. He unless traded will most assuredly go the final 10 years of his career without winning a playoff series. And possibly five years with not even making the post season if he stays here. That's ending your storied career in a whimper AT BEST!

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Its funny how other teams will sign players like Beauvillier and then seemingly waive them or not want to play them when its clear they have better players from within, even in the Penguins situation where they do and they just don't want to configure their line-up to make things work, this team routinely hangs on to these players far longer than most because the Coach keeps using them.

Colin White should have never gotten a contract let alone 10 games last season.
Harkins for 40 games scored 0 goals, wasn't even on the PK regularly - Gruden was far more trusted on the PK in his short stints.
Beauvillier has had a couple of good games out of 7 but was finally tried off the 1st line and looked better with Eller, not shocking to anyone that has literally stated he would be better on that line.
Then to use a player that is a top 6 or 9 winger on the 4th line when there's other players that would have fit that role better or just a smarter way to configure the line-up, yeah sure.

Dubas' problem is like JR's and Hextall's before him - He will shoe horn "his players" into the team but will keep giving the coach the players he wants and then watches them misuse them and has to eat shit from the media, fans, and everyone as being his fault when its the coach that gets heaps of praise by the players, analysts, media, etc, that keeps asking for them and misusing them.

Not even Jon Cooper gets that kind of treatment from his GM and ownership.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I feel like that tweet about Jarry is totally made up. Friedman covered every base with being so vague.
That's basically every Friedman tweet ever.

"There's a good chance Player X might be moved by the deadline, but there's also a chance he's not moved"

"My sense is such and such team will be active at the deadline, but only if they see someone they like and if the price is absolutely perfect"

Like, cool, Elliotte. You basically can say "gotcha" no matter what happens.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
It feels like every year, there's different weight put on certain goalie stats, usually blokes will wax on about expected save the most, but I wonder why high danger shots will be mentioned for how much a team gives up but never really mentioned for the goalies. How much weight would anyone really put in the High Danger Shots Against stat? It's definitely one that really paints an interesting picture for a lot of goalies.

High Danger shots to me is when the goalie has to really do his shit to bail the team out, that's a shot that they're getting zero help on from their team with keeping it further out and not the slot area and clearing the crease. I've always wondered why that is rarely brought up in goalie stats talks.

Team wise the Penguins are tied with Colorado and New Jersey for giving up the most High Danger Goals. Funny stat is HDSCF/CA - Penguins give up 87 chances while create 87 chances lol, btw 87 is the leagues worst for against and they're top for chances.

Anyways, this was curious to go over when looking at the Pens goalies.

That's basically every Friedman tweet ever.

"There's a good chance Player X might be moved by the deadline, but there's also a chance he's not moved"

"My sense is such and such team will be active at the deadline, but only if they see someone they like and if the price is absolutely perfect"

Like, cool, Elliotte. You basically can say "gotcha" no matter what happens.
Yeah absolutely never have been a fan of his.

All of those Canadian wankers from Sportsnet, TSN, etc are just idiots. Seravalli being a massive one, Dreger is less irritating only because Seravlli exists. Then there's that twat Kevin Weekes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad